English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 07 October 2014, 05:17   #41
mc6809e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
It's a huge improvement over composite but it's still very poor.
Well it's a nice fit for the Amiga since the carrier frequency of the chroma carrier is exactly half the low res pixel clock.

Hires is another story, but the separate luma signal usually means even hires is readable even though color resolution is compromised.
Old 07 October 2014, 10:53   #42
Kola

Guys were all getting a bit too technical for my needs.

I just simply need to turn on my amiga and use it with as good or better graphics than a portable TV in 95.
Old 07 October 2014, 12:54   #43
Kola

Ok, composite cable came today and bot all happens. Im going to guess my monitor doesn't like the composite signal my 1200 outputs.

Hearing you all loud and clear about RGB scart but my LCD monitor doesn't have such a thing. Is there anything else cheap I can try out before splashing on a new old LCD TV.

Or should I just use a portable TV?

(Id like to thank you all for your time so far in trying to help)
Old 07 October 2014, 13:59   #44
ajk

Have you verified that your monitor will work with some other composite source? Camcorder, DVD player or whatever you have available. And you did verify that the monitor input is set to composite (it may not pick up the signal buy itself)? Are you certain the A1200 video output does in fact work?

I have never had any device not accept the A1200 (or other Amiga) composite output, it should be perfectly standard, so this is pretty strange.
Old 08 October 2014, 13:15   #45
Hewitson

Having never used an Amiga via S-Video, I must admit that picture does look surprisingly good. You still can't beat RGB though, I'm not sure I understand why someone living in the UK wouldn't grab a CRT off the side of the road and use a SCART cable.
Old 08 October 2014, 13:20   #46
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Having never used an Amiga via S-Video, I must admit that picture does look surprisingly good. You still can't beat RGB though, I'm not sure I understand why someone living in the UK wouldn't grab a CRT off the side of the road and use a SCART cable.
Yes S-Video is surprisingly good. I am hard push to tell a difference between S-Video and RGB on my PS2, even at high resolutions.

Good 4:3 CRTs (such as Trinitron and Panasonic with many inputs) to pick up locally in the UK are becoming harder to come by. When I first started buying up spare Trinitrons I had to only travel maybe 20 to 30 miles to get one. Now most CRTs on ebay and gumtree are usually 28inch+ and widescreen. You can't just pick up them up from the side of the road anymore or even from your local tip.

I check every few weeks for good CRTs available locally and haven't seen anything for a few months now. (although I have probably cornered the market for Trinitrons in the North UK )
Old 08 October 2014, 16:31   #47
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I can also vouch for S-video after recently going from composite on my C64 to S-video, i use it on a 68cm crtTV and s-video looks great.

I have attached some pics showing some comparisons, the first 3 pics show you the difference between composite, s-video and scart on a c64 and crt.
They aren't my own pics, i got them from here if anyone wants more info-
http://ilesj.wordpress.com/2012/11/1...with-no-scart/

But the fourth pic is my own, i took a closeup snap of my crtTV with the c64 running through s-video on it, the pixels are reasonably clean and defined with s-video compared to composite!

I am only using the c64 as an example, i would imagine the output from the Amiga with composite, s-video and scart would have much the same quality and definition regarding the different output methods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-composite.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	41827   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-s-video.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	41828   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-scart.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	41829   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-Hans C64 Svideo+CrtTV.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	41830  
Old 09 October 2014, 18:03   #48
Kola

Hi guys. Honestly, A portable TV is enough to me. I really don't give a damn about graphics. As long as its as good as an old portable or better. I know this may be Alien to all of you who has spent a load of money getting the best possible picture but Im a musician first and foremost. Not a gamer.

I do not want to get a CRT monitor as they take up a wad of space. There is little real estate left in my music studio to give out to a CRT.

AJK - I have no way to connect anything else to the LCD mate. My PS3 / iPhone etc etc none of which use composite. I also cannot connect my Amiga to another composite screen. Simply as my Plasma had either HDMI inputs only.

I have been considering an old car LCD monitor. The 9" ones. Can anyone recommend a simple plug and play model that works.
Old 09 October 2014, 19:54   #49
ajk

No one is suggesting particularly expensive options here as far as I can see.

Your Dell monitor should already work, composite is composite. Buying another monitor won't help if the problem is in the A1200. You should verify that first, just borrow a small TV with composite input or take the A1200 somewhere you can test it or whatever is easiest.

Google tells me that the PS3 [ Show youtube player ], but maybe there are different models if yours doesn't.

I sometimes use a little monitor that I bought on dx.com for about £40. I think these are intended for car use, but work just fine for any purpose.

Old 09 October 2014, 22:19   #50
Kola

Hi mate,

Thanks, that looks perfect.

If my 1200 is broken it Ill buy a 600 (smaller) Either way I need an Amiga. Ill try what you say re my PS3 but ill have to make sure I have such a cable first. From what I remember my PS3 only has zone output on the back. I think I have to buy a cable to fit into that then into whatever.

Thats small screen looks great.
Old 10 October 2014, 12:32   #51
mark_k

You can pick up PS1/2/3 AV cables for £0.99 inc. p&p on eBay if you don't already have one.
Old 10 October 2014, 14:02   #52
Kola

Thanks mark.

A development!

A mate has pointed out my hd plasma thingy 'does' have a composite input.

I can now confirm me 1200s composite output works. It must be the old dell lcd that does not.

Well now that I have to buy a new lcd I may opt for a mini one like kindly liked to above.
Old 10 October 2014, 15:30   #53
edd_jedi

Honestly, it might seem like a lot of effort but an RGB>SCART cable and a 4:3 LCD TV/monitor with SCART will cost you under £20 and is by far the best solution. Computer LCD monitors are a pain to get working with Amiga's, more often than not they require an expensive scan doubler/flicker fixer. Seriously, it might seem like a pain but the solution people are already offering is the best, easiest and cheapest. Walk in to any Cash Converters, or similar, they always have dozens of old LCD TVs for a tenner.

EDIT: Here you go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281459485400
Old 10 October 2014, 19:24   #54
Kola

Wow, thanks Jedi.

I must insist it was never that I was not prepared to go to that option, more I was exploring the composite option first fully.

I like that screen you linked too but am wondering if it could be made more portable for my live music gigs.

Since having to throw the existing monitor away I am left thinking if I have to buy something I may as well buy something highly portable. like what ajk uses.

What do you think?
Old 12 October 2014, 15:13   #55
edd_jedi

If a portable one would suit you better go for it, but the 'mobile' ones will generally have a worse and smaller screen. These 15" LCD TVs weigh nothing, they are perfectly portable.
Old 12 October 2014, 15:36   #56
Kola

Think thats what ill do mate. Go for a 15" Then see how that pans out then upgrade it to the mobile screen if need be. At those prices its not gonna break the bank to try. Thanks for the advice.
Old 25 June 2018, 09:37   #57
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Kola, did you ever try the SVideo as suggested?
Old 05 July 2018, 11:06   #58
tekopaa

If its dell monitor it doesent work with Amiga at all!

Only older models with https://www.ampronix.com/media/catal...ell_2001fp.jpg will work from s-vhs or composite
Old 05 July 2018, 12:09   #59
Mikerochip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekopaa View Post
If its dell monitor it doesent work with Amiga at all!

Only older models with https://www.ampronix.com/media/catal...ell_2001fp.jpg will work from s-vhs or composite
Isn't it only older models will work with the RGB out on the Amiga to the VGA Input on the Dell monitor.

Any machine that has S-Video or composite in will work with the Amgia, or anything else that uses S-Video or composite in.
Old 05 July 2018, 12:32   #60
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
Isn't it only older models will work with the RGB out on the Amiga to the VGA Input on the Dell monitor.

Any machine that has S-Video or composite in will work with the Amgia, or anything else that uses S-Video or composite in.
not so... the 2007FP for example apparently only works on a 60Hz composite (ie NTSC) not 50Hz PAL