English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 24 January 2013, 20:32   #41
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Peter, just to say this also works with Classic Workbench P96 which is mainly aimed at WinUAE users however it's also ideal for less powerful RTG systems like an A2000 020/030 with a PicassoII as it's also built on WB3.0/1

I tested with just the updated Icon Library and as predicted I still couldn't see OS3.5/9 Icons however I can with these updates.

Thanks again for your awesome work
Old 12 February 2013, 22:47   #42
Bloodwych

I've been following all of PeterKs work over the last several months and it's great what he has accomplished.

When I get around to updating the packs (soon I guess as a new WHDLoad has been released) I'll be adding this brilliant work as a install option. Perhaps I'll put together a new icon pack too depending on my free time.
Old 27 May 2013, 03:39   #43
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Any progress on the update of CWBAdv with these improvements?

Thanks a lot
Old 27 May 2013, 13:26   #44
PeterK

No, I don't have any plans for an update atm. You can always replace the icon.library of my package with the latest version.

What do you think is missing in my add-on package?
Old 27 May 2013, 14:32   #45
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Nothing, Peter. My question was for Bloodwych, to know if he's going to include these changes in his CWBAdv/AdvSpecial.
Old 07 July 2013, 16:44   #46
Bloodwych

I'll be integrating this in the next Scalos ClassicWB packs. It will be in the form of an install uninstall in the SYS:MyFiles/Install drawer, very similar to how SFS support gets added.

Have to say it's brilliant work to add this for Scalos 1.2d. Not something PeterK had to do as it involved a few work arounds as we can all read in the opening post.

After having a play around I do have a couple of questions for PeterK. Would it be possible to get the tool/project/drawer option to return in the icon info requester or is this a limitation to integrating some newer information.module Scalos features into 1.2d? I know I use that feature all the time.

Is there a reason to replace Stackattack with Minstack? I already have MinStack in the C drawer but chose StackAttack for some reason I now can't remember. Thanks.

Also anything in this pack now integrated into the latest icon library and can be removed? Like PNG datatypes, zlib, IconBeFast etc?

Last edited by Bloodwych; 07 July 2013 at 22:21.
Old 08 July 2013, 13:16   #47
PeterK

Hi Bloodwych,

indeed a lot of changes have been made to the icon.library since I've built my add-on package for your ClassicWB ADVSP. Yes, meanwhile some of the included files are already obsolete and can be removed now. Like PNG datatypes, zlib, IconBeFast etc? Yes, exactly.

The Scalos info module can be replaced by the SwazInfo tool. It works perfectly on my IconDemoADF image.

It's up to you if you prefer StackAttack or my own MinStack utility. StackAttack has a few more (useless) options.

Unfortunately, when my first harddrive died in Januar of this year I also lost my setup with your ClassicWB installation. So, it's time now to build a new package with some updates here and there.
Old 08 July 2013, 20:38   #48
Bloodwych

I'll probably just migrate over from Stackattach to Minstack then. Still can't remember why I chose one over the other, as I know you released MinStack after Stackattach so bound to be more refined.

I'll look into SwazInfo tool.

I have already written a script to install then uninstall your Scalos icon package. It works by installing and uninstalling the items on boot as to avoid any locked files or resident fixes in ram. It also backs up user files and replaces files in their real time state to preserve changes they make to the Startup-Sequence etc. I checked a couple of HDF files and they were identical before and after installing then uninstalling.

When you say build a new package, do you mean a new Icon package as found in this thread? Or a new ClassicWB?

I have removed PNG, zlib and also IconBeFast from the package files and startup sequence. Let me know if anything else comes to mind with your new updated library.

Big thanks for the help.
Old 08 July 2013, 21:34   #49
PeterK

What you said sounds good. I guess you're just doing the right things. Please, don't use any icon.library versions newer than 301 atm until I could fix the problems, although they are only RTG related.

When I find some more time I would like to check out my add-on package again for possible improvements, but I think there won't be much more than you have already mentioned here.

With SwazInfo you can change the type of the icons again and it also shows the palette mapped images, but it will refuse to replace the OS 3.5 images by drag&drop, and that is good because it cannot handle that format. The images which are displayed by SwazInfo are planar (temporarily converted by the icon.library).
Old 27 July 2013, 17:37   #50
Bloodwych

Just a few things to feedback.

Noticed a few additions in your replacement Startup-Sequence.

PatchWB is not required for Scalos - it has its own fixes and is listed as incompatible on their webpage:

http://scalos.noname.fr/manual/FAQ.html

I love the PatchRAM which gives a clear indication of RAMDISK usage. Very useful!

What are the importance of these:

SaferPatches, MemTracker 32, Segtrailer, TagLiFE?

Do they help with stability and are they relevant to Scalos do you know? I've read on Aminet and they all seem like stability patches for Workbench?

Big thanks for your help.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 27 July 2013 at 18:06.
Old 27 July 2013, 20:47   #51
PeterK

Quote:
What are the importance of these:

SaferPatches, MemTrailer 32, SegTracker, TagLiFE?
SaferPatches allows you to disable or remove patches more safely, but it's not really required for an average system.

MemTrailer can sometimes help to prevent crashes when programs are trashing memory. It's one of my system patches and it should improve stability, but you don't need to distribute it with CWB.

SegTracker is a very useful debugging utility. It can show you which programs are responsible for crashes and even point to the location in the code that causes it. But nothing for the everyday user.

TagLiFE is my patch for the utility.library and it can speedup the systems handling with TagLists which are often used by many programs. It's really recommended to install that.
Old 27 July 2013, 22:58   #52
Bloodwych

Brilliant - big thanks for the reponse, much appreciated.
Old 28 July 2013, 13:46   #53
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
TagLiFE is my patch for the utility.library and it can speedup the systems handling with TagLists which are often used by many programs. It's really recommended to install that.
I've used TagLiFE (spelling here is important ) since the beginning of time...err...beginning of its Aminet release .
Old 04 August 2013, 16:12   #54
Bloodwych

I have found a nice tool to add to the upgrade package to change icon types (DRAWER, PROJECT, TOOL ETC), since that feature is removed from the necessary Scalos updates to run the icon.lib.

It's called MUIIconType - works brilliantly with your pack, no compatibility issues.
Old 04 August 2013, 16:18   #55
PeterK

Alright. And did you also try out SwazInfo ? I use that in my IconDemoADF for OS 3.0 / 3.1.
But I'm not sure if it works as a replacement for the Scalos information.module.

Last edited by PeterK; 04 August 2013 at 16:27.
Old 04 August 2013, 16:34   #56
Bloodwych

Hi, yep tried Swazinfo but didn't seem to get along with Scalos unless I was doing something wrong.
Old 18 August 2013, 16:41   #57
Bloodwych

PeterK, TagLiFE says it requires a 68020 in the docs - is that true?
Old 19 August 2013, 19:12   #58
PeterK

Yes, it needs a 68020 CPU, but I could write a 68000 version if you like. There are only some TST.L Ax and EXTB.L instructions to replace as far as I could see.
Old 19 August 2013, 20:37   #59
Bloodwych

Thanks for the confirmation PeterK and the offer.

I was asking as I'm currently updating the packs (well, limited to a few hours spent at the weekend at the moment but there getting there) and accidentally added TagLiFE to the 68000 versions and it didn't seem to complain. Read the docs and it said 020 required at the top.

Anyway, if you think it would help 68000 users I could add it to the ClassicWB 68000 versions if worthwhile. All depends on your expert opinion.
Old 19 August 2013, 20:52   #60
PeterK

It doesn't complain, because TagLiFE checks the system for the 020 before it patches the utility.library. Thus, it's safe to install the current version anyway, but I can recompile it for the 68000, no problem.

Ok, done. This new 68000 version of TagLiFE is for all CPUs now, there is no speedloss and no changes for 020+.

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/TagLiFE

Last edited by PeterK; 07 January 2014 at 06:19.