English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 June 2004, 09:15   #61
Drake1009

I loved brutal sports football. One of the few sports games I've ever liked.
Old 05 June 2004, 13:48   #62
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Batman The Movie
Ignore Level 1. When you play the original/cool (and technically impressive) driving level from Level 2, and the flying level (Level 4?) it would be hard to think this was made in 1989. Probably the best movie-tie-in ever.
Yep.. The first and last levels were really crap.. The difficulty curve was way too high.. Loved the flying part, though. :-)
Quote:
Biplane Duel
Yes I am a Bip fanboy!
YES! :-)

Pity that it doesn't work well with much expanded Amigas. :-(
Old 05 June 2004, 14:41   #63
JudasEZT

respect Batman the Movie I find the first and last level cool!! to me that levels are the game, car and flying levels I would fit as bonus levels better. just to get increase score.

I likes a lot the bat-rope and climbing through the platforms. Just graphics are really uninspired,.. but are nice animated.
The scroll is smooth and music is nice. Just if batguy walks a bit faster the game would be more dynamic to play. I would like the game would have tons of walking levels.. and make it more similar to Shinobi.

Last edited by JudasEZT; 05 June 2004 at 15:13.
Old 05 June 2004, 14:48   #64
Frog

Biplane Duel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope
YES! :-)

Pity that it doesn't work well with much expanded Amigas. :-(
I wish you a good fly http://www.whdload.de/games/BiplaneDuel.html
Old 05 June 2004, 18:07   #65
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
Hehe I should have known someone's made a whd version of it. :-)
Old 05 June 2004, 20:42   #66
Marcuz

I consider underrated those games that had their good well considered at the time. but that in time were surpassed by others of the same genre that are now considered musts.
moreover, i'm thinking about games i've played a lot and i keep dear but that are not the first choice i peek if i want to play amiga now. maybe they have some issue or just there is better around, nevertheless they should have more spotlight

Millemiglia difficult as it can be and buggy too (but maybe it was the crack?) but just too cool
Myth i can say the same as for millemiglia here
Sky or Die Just too fun, expecially if you play it with friends; this one really underrated
Utopia One of the best real time strategy i've ever played. nice graphics, beautiful soundtracks, just a bit repeatitive
Black Crypt multi level quests, cool graphics but way too hard and with a pitiful choice on characters
Dune this one is just cool, even if the text/dialogue was poor; the graphics and sound were great
Gateway to the Savage Frontiers some fresh air to a drained gamesystem
Perihelion a beautifully designed game with great soundtracks and a too short and linear gameplay
Old 05 June 2004, 22:38   #67
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
Utopia One of the best real time strategy i've ever played. nice graphics, beautiful soundtracks, just a bit repeatitive
Heh, I've never actually played the game, but I have always loved the soundtrack (I got mods from somewhere a long time ago).
Old 06 June 2004, 01:57   #68
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
Dune this one is just cool, even if the text/dialogue was poor; the graphics and sound were great
Dune was such a cool game, I really loved playing it!
Old 06 June 2004, 02:28   #69
oldpx

Games that I don't agree in this context:

Silk Worm: Pretty well known and popular game. Was also bundled with machines here because fast loading times and single disk medium was easy for newbies. Had a too lucky history to be called underrated I think

Colonization: Very good game. Tell me who underrated it and Akira will apply them an instant pimpslap. Again I always thought it was considered a "hit" who/which magazine thought otherwise? Perhaps we should define the "underrating" criteria. If that depends on a single negative mag review then it can't be too accurate, any game might have bad reviews.

Batman The Movie: Pants. Sorry

Some previously posted games that fit in this thread in my opinion:

Armour-Geddon
Perihelion

These two had ambigious interfaces (key configs for AG) Too bad for they are brilliant but need more effort to dig into.

Dune
Ok they killed the novel with a stupid scenario (Even Atreides and Harkonnen palaces swap locations from the novel!) but the gameplay is unique which is not an easy thing to accomplish. I had great fun with this, not knowing about the novel as I said in another thread. Perhaps that was why I saw the good part of it. Strangely, Dune 2 screwed the novel even further but a lot more people favored that game!

And I'm offering these myself:

Transarctica
Ishar 2 and 3

All are silmarils games. I can't be precise but maybe their unpopularity was because english versions were delayed/ignored for these were local french games at first? Everyone MUST play Ishar 3 AGA someday.

Barbarian 2 Psygnosis version

A short, simple but sweet game. With this description, it was unlucky to have the same name with the C64 hit!

Last edited by oldpx; 06 June 2004 at 02:34.

Old 06 June 2004, 06:03   #70
BippyM
Global Moderator

I agree with Dune, I played it and enjoyed it
Old 06 June 2004, 12:35   #71
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Send a message via AIM to Nexjen Send a message via MSN to Nexjen
Megalomania: I love this game , I graphics are really good and simple. I love the way the game is , I like the upgrades you can get. This kinda gameplay doesnt seem dated as its so easy to get into. A true classic IMO.

Monster Buisness: I dont know why I really like this game but I do , the controls are abit crap but I like the graphics and the levels. Gets really hard towards the end but it adds to the gameplay.

Captain Planet And The Planeteers: I dont understand why people didnt like this game its the best thing ever. I like the way that the game play changes through out the levels and how different powers require different ways of playing the game. I will always be fond of this game.

All I can think of at the mo.
Old 07 June 2004, 05:26   #72
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand
Brutal Sports Football - It may have got good reviews, but I know nearly no one who gives a damn about this game. It deserves much more praise than it usually gets, it's an awesome game with lots of different tactics to be employed, and it grows on you. Everyone please, play this game.
I've mostly played this 1-player. Does anyone else find it hard to win by goals & not slaughtering the other team? Even when I am trying for goals, I usually end up killing everyone before the end of the game.
Old 07 June 2004, 05:27   #73
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexjen
Megalomania: I love this game , I graphics are really good and simple. I love the way the game is , I like the upgrades you can get. This kinda gameplay doesnt seem dated as its so easy to get into. A true classic IMO.
Yes a great game, but I didn't think it was underrated...
Old 07 June 2004, 06:25   #74
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus
I've mostly played this 1-player. Does anyone else find it hard to win by goals & not slaughtering the other team? Even when I am trying for goals, I usually end up killing everyone before the end of the game.
I think it mostly depends on how far in the game you get and what team you're playing. It's been years since I've played it, but I remember some teams getting tough to the point where grabbing bonuses and scoring points was the only way to win.
Old 07 June 2004, 07:23   #75
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I agree about Myth. AWESOME game which is sadly very underrated.

I have finished Brutal Sports Football a dozen of times (And I REALLY doubt anyone in the whole Earth can beat me on this game ), so I speak up.

I believe it's possible to beat EVERY team by killing everyone OR scoring more goals. It's just the case that some teams will be EASIER to beat by goals, while others will be easier to beat by violence. It's just the case that the further you get in the game, the harder it gets, either beating by goals or violence.

But the fact it, the 4th division is a piece of cake, and all teams there can easily be beaten by either goals or violence. Because killing everyone finishes a match, everyone end up doing that, even if for accident.

A good strategy against teams you can easily kill everyone is to leave only 1 player alive (Which can't be the "Goal keeper", as he doesn't make a difference if it's dead or alive to end the game), and then score as many goals as you can. When the time is near zero, kill the last man standing, and gets A LOT of money. Heal all your players to the maximum, so you can be ready for the matches against the teams with more brute force. (Which many times is easier to score goals, but you have the risk of losing to many players if your players aren't healed properly from the last match).

Choosing a good team is also a good idea. It took me sometime until I noticed the human teams are actually DIFFERENT from each other. I personally always liked to play with the THUGS

Erm, looks like I went completely off-topic
Old 07 June 2004, 23:17   #76
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

I used to like Spherical quite a lot. Don't ever here it mentioned much. It was a rip-off of an arcade game called Solomon's Key (I liked that a lot too) but had the added bonus of two-player simulataneous play.Spherical, just like Solomon's Key, required the player to think and use strategies a lot more than most platform games.
Old 08 June 2004, 05:54   #77
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombjacker
I used to like Spherical quite a lot. Don't ever here it mentioned much. It was a rip-off of an arcade game called Solomon's Key (I liked that a lot too) but had the added bonus of two-player simulataneous play.Spherical, just like Solomon's Key, required the player to think and use strategies a lot more than most platform games.
I had Spherical for the C64
There was a very similar PD/free/shareware game on the Amiga, can't remember the name of it...
Old 14 July 2004, 10:36   #78
Graham Humphrey

Most under-rated games

What games would you say were under-rated on the Amiga? i.e a game you liked that perhaps not many other people did? Or games that aren't mentioned much in favourite game lists?

I quite liked Donk myself. I think it had 100+ levels, it's absolutely huge, unsurprisingly I never completed the thing.

Also don't see Arcade Pool by Team 17 mentioned much either - 8-player Survivor is superb!
Old 15 July 2004, 21:51   #79
JudasEZT

Nice topic, I find. I played alot ArcadePool was very nice, my brothers and I played it much

I think ShadowDancer is underrated, I find it a very respectable conversion respect the coinop (megadrive version sucked imho)
The game has huge graphics and good ones. the multidirectional scroll was very smooth and fast. And gameplay were cool. I really enjoyed this game on amiga, also because I was so deceived with the Shinobi conversion.

Also I find ShadowOfTheBeastIII a bit underrated. Mainly because first SOTB was very nice but maaany ppl disliked the gameplay and the loading times. and SOTBII was a deception because hasnt the graphics of the first part and was stupidly hard, also was stupid the thing of write commands, I think that didnt fit in the gameplay at all.

but SOTBIII has all the better of both games, I loved it. The level of difficult was challenging but not impossible, the puzzles was the corrects for an arcade. You could select the level you play at beginning. It was a pretty cool game,.. and very Amiga-stylish.
Old 15 July 2004, 22:18   #80
Peanutuk

Metal Mutant http://hol.abime.net/?id=2456

I absolutely loved this game when it was released. It was one of the first Amiga games I played which may well have had something to do with it.

It did receive mostly poor to very poor reviews.

All the Shadow of the Beast games are vastly overated. They simply lack all playability especially one and two. They should be classed as playable demos.