English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 June 2018, 08:55   #41
Foebane
Banned

Are CRTs still made? I thought all the factories were closed down and repurposed years ago!
Old 17 June 2018, 11:42   #42
trixster
Guru Meditating

I have an ossc for my old consoles. I’m happy enough with it not to go back to a crt.
Old 17 June 2018, 11:52   #43
Solderbro

Normally my 600 works on an Odys 16 Plus LCD and i remember that much headache i got from the CRT 50Hz flicker for so many years.

But yes we run in problems today, few TV's really have a scart input and many of these have them not RGB rewired. So as result the picture with composite as fallback is a mess.
Old 17 June 2018, 12:48   #44
TurboCrash

Even right now, only the top of the line LED and OLED screens are able to display the same color gamut and contrast as the good ol' CRT.
Power consumption is another thing. That old CRT rated at 90w is equivalent to a couple of modern 49" LCDs.
Old 17 June 2018, 17:24   #45
SimonCD32
Amiga Diva

Love a good old CRT but finally got my hands on a proper Amiga monitor recently and its the nutz!
Old 20 June 2018, 00:00   #46
turrican9

I get good results with BenQ BL 702A, BL 912. I like to connect them to Indi ECS to get scanlines. Scanlines makes a huge difference. I also have a 17 inch Phillips 5:4 17 inch LED screen connected to my 1200 with AGA MK2. Made a 720x576 PAL profile and 50Hz. And scanlines of course.

Tried many CRT TVs or CRT PC monitors but just cannot handle the flicker anymore. Wanna keep my eyes for as long as I can. So think I will stick to flatscreens.

I cannot imagine a Commodore monitor like 1084S being so much better than using BenQ BL 702A together with Indivision ECS to get those scanlines and also running 1:1 for 50Hz?
Old 20 June 2018, 01:25   #47
nobody

Trinitron CRT with scart looks better than 1084 and much better than all LCD. Scart is the same connection with 1084, it's RGB and the much better tube than the old Phillips or daewoo helps.
Old 20 June 2018, 09:46   #48
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

[QUOTE=sean_skroht;1247216]You can actually turn that off. I have a 100hz Loewe where you can turn all that crap off and the picture is ultra sharp, no smearing, no ultra smoothing and, most importantly, no 50Hz flickering. My Amiga on this TV looks great.

I had the exact same Loewe TV but it unfortunately died on me. I had all those settings turned off too.
Old 20 June 2018, 12:39   #49
Dunny

I miss the old CRT. And nobody seems yet to be able to mimic it with Shaders. They're all too... Monitor-style CRT, like Arcade Cabs. Now don't get me wrong, that's not a bad look at all. But I do miss my old 14" Colour TV Via the RF module, dot-crawl and all.

I wish we could somehow emulate that.
Old 20 June 2018, 19:07   #50
turrican9

I actually have a nice 14 inch CRT TV with scart. I still prefer my above mentioned LCD monitors with scanlines enabled.
Old 20 June 2018, 23:11   #51
Dunny

I used to like the way the colours changed - yellow text on a blue background would get a black shadow, that sort of thing. Of course at the time I would have killed for a proper CRT monitor but these days I pine for the old effects that I had when I was a kid.
Old 21 June 2018, 00:13   #52
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I miss the old CRT. And nobody seems yet to be able to mimic it with Shaders. They're all too... Monitor-style CRT, like Arcade Cabs. Now don't get me wrong, that's not a bad look at all. But I do miss my old 14" Colour TV Via the RF module, dot-crawl and all.

I wish we could somehow emulate that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I used to like the way the colours changed - yellow text on a blue background would get a black shadow, that sort of thing. Of course at the time I would have killed for a proper CRT monitor but these days I pine for the old effects that I had when I was a kid.
I would love to use shaders to emulate low spec machines with more perfection on a LCD, so I think like Dunny too. But for all other use cases, I think the LCD is "killer".
Old 21 June 2018, 01:16   #53
nobody

Also the Amiga draws more lines than the old consoles or the arcades which usually have 224 pixels so the scanlines are more subtle on the Amiga than the consoles. I cannot even remember the 1084S having scanlines and they are very subtle on a Trinitron while they are thick and obvious on old consoles on the same tv.
Old 21 June 2018, 02:04   #54
scuzz

I just had to post a reply to this post.... Made me laugh so much. It was early 1994 and sadly the computer store had to return my £50 deposit for the Commodore 1942 as they had gone bust and they couldn't get one. I was struggling using the Amiga on the CRT TV, not monitor, and sick to death of not being able to use the varied screen resolutions.

Fortunately there was an alternative... the very wonderful Microvitec with its ability to multisync and switch to the differing screen modes. And I still have the monitor along with half a dozen more. I couldn't live without them. As for the CRT TVs I have a 32" and 14" Trinitron plus a 32" Toshiba and a couple of black and whites. They are all inferior to a 'proper' CRT monitor designed for the Amiga. Even the Samsung flat-screen running off the scart is dreadful.

I also very much prefer having the Amiga plugged into speakers so I can control the sound and move the speakers around. Interestingly not all Amiga monitors or monitors that supported the Amiga can handle all the screen modes and that also can be very annoying. There is nothing like the click of the Microvitec.

Saying that there is seriously one alternative option that gives a great picture and suits the Amiga 'proper' resolutions and that is the PicassoIV running on a Mitsubishi CRT monitor. I would agree with one view and that is the older CRT tube style monitors work better for the Amiga and that is more about the ratio of the screen image to the display area. It is something I struggled with a lot when flat screens came out. Flat screens work best when you can use the screen formats designed for them. I once broke a SONY Bravia forcing the old CRT ratio screen to work on it. My old recorded video tapes just looked crap on the Bravia... That's why I keep the SONY 32" in the lounge. I still use it more than the larger flat screens, though the BRAVIA is way better for HD etc.

I did play for many many years with the PS1 and PS2 on the 14" SONY Trinitron but once I got the PS3 I just had to swap over to the flat screen and with a modern computer I wouldn't use anything else. For the Amiga though my view today is just the same as it was in 1994... Microvitec is king and Multisync monitors that support all the rich and varying screen modes... You really don't want to see those hazy crazy lines flickering across your TV when it can't show the images or program cus of unsupported screen modes. Great thing about the Microvitec is that it can handle everything. I even have a 17" Microvitec.... magic.... Kinda telling when I plug in an Amiga and the TV fails to pick up the Workbench and I have to boot in to low res to change the screen mode. So annoying.... So yay to CRT as king but only in the screen modes as intended... for me that is.
Old 17 July 2018, 10:45   #55
gjb1985

be sure to only use crt's from the 90s (preferably sony), or better yet use a pvm or a bvm. looks better than the framemeister scaler.
Old 17 July 2018, 18:50   #56
idrougge

I don't think I need to declare which is LCD and which is CRT here…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6282.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	58880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6286.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	58881  
Old 17 July 2018, 19:17   #57
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I don't think I need to declare which is LCD and which is CRT here…
Yep, it may be both as it depends on which type of display is used to show your screenshots
Old 17 July 2018, 20:36   #58
klx300r

Thumbs up

nothing beats the real thing http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.com/2018/04/
Old 20 July 2018, 15:08   #59
RunsilenT

LCD for me

I recently started using NEC Accusync 71v and 51v with my Amigas. The 71v has to be adjusted to get best screen fit in workbench or gaming. However the 51v not only looks great but sizes better as its closer to standard CRT size. At 15Khz its absolutely wonderful, coupled with a nice soundbar speaker instead of its built in speakers I can`t fault it. Modern Vintage Gamer has done a great review of this model LCD and its retro-gaming capabilities.