English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

View Poll Results: What is the RBI baseball game on the Amiga called?
RBI 2 Baseball 3 23.08%
RBI Baseball 2 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 December 2001, 01:48   #1
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Which name is correct: RBI 2 Baseball or RBI Baseball 2?

Hi people

I am going to release the WHDLoad patch for RBI 2 Baseball tonight but I am still trying to decide whether the game is RBI 2 Baseball or RBI Baseball 2!

All over the net is conflicting information and I can't find any site for Domark/Tengen/The Kremlin which mentions history of coding the game!

On the PC there is RBI Baseball 3 and RBI Baseball 4 listed under cheat sites which suggests it maybe RBI Baseball 2 (or the logo is still hard to tell!). Most Amiga mags reviewed the game as RBI 2 Baseball. Back to the Roots has the 2 at the end. Almost all other sites have the 2 in the middle!

I don't have a title screenshot handy (will try and get one ASAP) but it basically has RBI then Baseball underneath and a big 2 to the right of all the text.

If everyone here could vote on which they think is the correct name, I'll probably go with the majority vote.

And yes I know RBI stands for Runs Batted In! (Please - no off topic replies here, I just want the votes and of course anyone who feels they have a strong case as to why one name is considered correct!)
Old 13 December 2001, 06:12   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Code, I don't have my backup here to defend my case, but I can 100% assure you it is RBI 2 BASEBALL. When I get home (yes, it's my third 13-hour work day in a row!) I will post an image indicating the correct name since Cody and I already had this discussion in IRC some time back.
Old 13 December 2001, 08:56   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Here's the problem - the titlescreen isn't clear.

It's usually listed as 'RBI 2 Baseball', but then there is an RBI Baseball 1: http://www.rbibaseball.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rbi2baseball.gif
Views:	429
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1502  
Old 13 December 2001, 09:00   #4
RetroMan

Just put the "2" at the end It sounds better and really everyone knows which game you mean
Old 13 December 2001, 09:01   #5
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

This advert seems to show that it is RBI 2 Baseball and not RBI Baseball 2:

http://s64.emuunlim.com/adverts/baseball/rbi3.htm
Old 13 December 2001, 19:14   #6
Codetapper

Hooooo The saga continues!

Thanks for your comments guys! From that game advert I tend to agree with Twistin, they mention the 2 before the baseball several times and in text. If I had never seen the Amiga's title screen and only the advert, I would say with 100% certainty it's RBI 2 Baseball.

But like most other people I think it sounds better with the 2 at the end and seems more logical. I will leave it for one more day until any late stragglers decide to post their 2c worth, then make this life-or-death decision
Old 13 December 2001, 23:09   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I think the ad was one of my sources and the other was probably the manual which I can't find at the moment. I think the producers were probably looking at the game being called RBI 2 and went ahead and tacked on the Baseball part as an afterthought suffix to avoid confusion. I think the small print with the copyright info lists it as RBI TWO BASEBALL or RBI 2 BASEBALL.
Old 14 December 2001, 18:36   #8
Amiga1992

Yep, the reading is definitely wrong or confusing.... The eye tends to go with the "RBI Baseball 2" option...
Old 15 December 2001, 00:42   #9
P-J

I think this is the key :

In an alphabetical list of these games, they'd go in this order :

RBI 2 Baseball
RBI Baseball

I suggest using RBI Baseball 2
Old 15 December 2001, 19:15   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

That may be the case, but the name of the game is still RBI 2 BASEBALL.
Old 17 December 2001, 01:33   #11
jb2097

I well remember this game and I'm pretty sure the correct name is RBI 2 Baseball, and about alphabetic order you can try these :

RBI 1 Baseball
RBI 2 Baseball

But, as version 1 doesn't exist on Amiga, who will care about it?

Old 17 December 2001, 01:50   #12
Codetapper

Arrow Released!

Well I released the WHDLoad patch today (which should work with any version - hint hint) and since all icons were done a few months ago with the name RBI 2 Baseball it was a lot of effort to change for not much reward (ie. none).

I also tend to agree with Twistin'/Cody that the game was supposed to be RBI 2 then some marketing peep said "why don't we tack Baseball on the end so those English cricket lovers don't think it's an RPG"...

I do think RBI Baseball 2 sounds better though... Thanks for your comments those of you that submitted!