English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 17 June 2008, 17:43   #1
Madcrow

Starting a new site: rate my design...

I'm starting a new Amiga site focused on creativity and productivity (something not nearly as well covered on the Net as games and demos) and while hosting on abime.net would be an ultimate goal, I figure that I might as well prove myself by creating some good content first...

Anyway, I THINK I've got a decent design, with Amiga-ish colors and an OK logo, but I'm wanting to hear some opinions...

URL: http://studiomadcrow.frih.net/
Old 17 June 2008, 18:11   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Madcrow,

the site looks not bad, but I think in the logo you should use another font. It looks too 'plain' for a design site Also the yellow of the font could be slightly different. The orange you chose for headings looks good. In the navigation area the links have a grey background while the rest of the background is white. And as a last remark : The 'Navigate thru topics' text should be a bit more to the right. I attach a screenshot so you can see what I mean. I tested it with both Firefox and IE7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Madcrow_Site.PNG
Views:	177
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	16898  
Old 17 June 2008, 18:16   #3
girv
Mostly Harmless

Looks pretty good so far. Not cluttered. Me like.

Left menus are a bit messed up, they're running horizontally instead of vertically.
Old 17 June 2008, 19:09   #4
Madcrow

Thanks for the hints so far. I'll work on hacking the template to fix stuff. I've also got my first review up now, so you're welcome to comment on that too.
Old 17 June 2008, 19:55   #5
Amiga1992

Looks like Amiga Legal Emulation

:P

There's not much "design" to look at in a blog-type website, so I guess the template is OKA
And yeah, the "logo" looks appaling.

That's all from here
Old 18 June 2008, 22:14   #6
Madcrow

People seem to dislike the logo/banner... What kind of suggestions for making a better one might people have?

Also, I've posted a review, which I'd like reviews of.
Old 18 June 2008, 22:23   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post
People seem to dislike the logo/banner... What kind of suggestions for making a better one might people have?

Also, I've posted a review, which I'd like reviews of.
As I said in post #2 the font and color of the writing.
Sorry, but I can't say it in other words, your review is no review at all. What should we review? There are about 6 sentences and all I see is your opinion. You give no features, don't compare it to other programs or at least some screenshots.
There is almost nothing on the site yet, so how should people comment on that? Try to get some real content on the site and then ask again
Old 18 June 2008, 23:59   #8
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
As I said in post #2 the font and color of the writing.
Sorry, but I can't say it in other words, your review is no review at all. What should we review? There are about 6 sentences and all I see is your opinion. You give no features, don't compare it to other programs or at least some screenshots.
There is almost nothing on the site yet, so how should people comment on that? Try to get some real content on the site and then ask again
But I do all of that (except for Screenshots). Did you try clicking "Read More..." If you do so, several more paragraphs will arrive.
Old 19 June 2008, 00:08   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post
But I do all of that (except for Screenshots). Did you try clicking "Read More..." If you do so, several more paragraphs will arrive.
Ah, missed that one, sorry. I will have a look tomorrow and tell you what I think about the whole review then.
Old 19 June 2008, 00:16   #10
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Ah, missed that one, sorry. I will have a look tomorrow and tell you what I think about the whole review then.
Maybe I'll have snuck in some screenshots by then too. I've already taken some but I just need to figure out how to embed them...
Old 19 June 2008, 01:20   #11
Marcuz

i have some considerations, but, since the start, please throw them away if you don't agree, np.

1) what's the site is about, the purpose, the why a person shold read and browse it, it's not clear from the start. it has to be divined in the welcome, but still, being the scope of the world you prompt your reader to get in, that's not clear, imho.

2) cleared that, a suggestion would also be to specialize it in something from the start, so that it gets your readers into something more than a very casual mood.
completely fictional example: MEOW - Madcrow's Essai On Worbench!
or Madcrow' Reviews on Amiga Utilities or something like that, so to focusing not on all it is amiga.

3) the template design reminds me too much of other Amiga sites, which i will not mention, but that, knowing their story with Eab, could demand your site closed for copyright infringement on the design or colour!
ahem...
maybe just make the menu bigger and more readable, without that gray backdrop to it and a simpler logo: my advice is to drop that helvetica - like font in favour of something less menacing.

good work!
Old 19 June 2008, 02:08   #12
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

I like it

I am not so bothered about appearance but rather content; not that there's much to go on at the moment.

I like your style of writing. It's informal and personal to you and your experience with the Amiga (so far).

Keep up the good work.
Old 19 June 2008, 03:44   #13
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
i have some considerations, but, since the start, please throw them away if you don't agree, np.

1) what's the site is about, the purpose, the why a person shold read and browse it, it's not clear from the start. it has to be divined in the welcome, but still, being the scope of the world you prompt your reader to get in, that's not clear, imho.

2) cleared that, a suggestion would also be to specialize it in something from the start, so that it gets your readers into something more than a very casual mood.
completely fictional example: MEOW - Madcrow's Essai On Worbench!
or Madcrow' Reviews on Amiga Utilities or something like that, so to focusing not on all it is amiga.

3) the template design reminds me too much of other Amiga sites, which i will not mention, but that, knowing their story with Eab, could demand your site closed for copyright infringement on the design or colour!
ahem...
maybe just make the menu bigger and more readable, without that gray backdrop to it and a simpler logo: my advice is to drop that helvetica - like font in favour of something less menacing.

good work!
Considering that I downloaded a free template that is under a Creative Commons and modified it a bit, that probably just means that they're using a similar template...
Old 19 June 2008, 04:24   #14
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Hello Madcrow!

I like the site layout and what it's about. There are heaps of game/music sites around so to get more into the desktop/hardware side of the Amiga is a fantastic thing. Maybe it might encourage other Amiga boffins to increase their awareness of the workhorse features of this still modern marvel. Really excited about it! Is it possible maybe to open up some of the software/hardware reviews to outsiders? Maybe some countries had different stuff and it would be great to get a global feel for your project.

Can't wait for new content, now I have to decide what I want as my homepage... EAB, Madcrow, EAB, Madcrow...
Old 20 June 2008, 05:00   #15
bugsthor

since im building the content in my own CMS site i have learned over the last two years running a games community that, 1 to add lots of content to it with forum /forum rules. open to everyone but make sure you have it secure against script kidies killing your work.

lots of tutorails /review/news/ little bits of hard to come by gems. then open your site up

this will give new people like us lots to read and hopefully occupy us for an hour or so to give you better feedback, i realise this is alot of work but with a month or two depending how much of a hurry your in. to me quality out performs qantity any day. so get it right first time .

i understand your need to get some feedback but first give us something to get our teeth into , tutorials for installing work bench for instance. personaly im going to make a tutorial on net (nul modem) serial Amiga to pc
when i get back from the once a year mecca to georgous women on beaches with no clothes on in a hot country. and plenty of beer Glug!!

a point i would like ot make is leave the original graphics on site while you work on the content, other wise your spreading yourself thin. thats what im doing with mine. besides i still have`nt decided on my template design i want to make myself yet, which should take me the best part of a week or two depending on how detailed i get. my sites phpnuke so theres alot of moding i have to do first for google adds without over doing it. but maybe bring me some pennys for server costs.(have you given that some thought ? )
but content first with tutorials and detailed info, the graphics i would worry about once you open the doors to everyone keep them oringianl with just the header graphics you want.
just MHO
nice review btw
greetz
Old 29 June 2008, 16:45   #16
Madcrow

Got a new review up. Check it out, folks.
Old 08 July 2008, 10:23   #17
EmuChicken

lil overdue, but I like everything but the title / logo ;-)

its very uh... hard on the eyes...
the colours, and also it looks very cheap XD ... anyone can open some document in photoshop and write in some text

look at EAB's logo at the top for a good reference... The font isnt boring, its easy on the eye, and it has a wierd blur like thing on it.