English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 December 2007, 01:48   #1
Pyromania

DiscreetFX Rubs the Lamp

On December 17, 2007, DiscreetFX completed the acquisition of Aladdin 4D from Nova Design for an undisclosed sum of money. All remaining inventory of the current version is being shipped to DiscreetFX and Nova Design will no longer be selling this application. DiscreetFX is a leading developer of 3D digital video effects technology. This acquisition extends DiscreetFX's reach into 3D software development in the hobbyist and beginner 3D animation industries. This also marks the first time DiscreetFX 100% controls an application. Before today we were always a 3rd party developer for other companies.

Aladdin 4D was a leading 3D animation program on the Classic Amiga platform and sold over 18,000 units on Amiga OS alone. DiscreetFX will breath new life into this application and release a new version on the following platforms.

Amiga OS 4.0 - For the first time Amiga OS 4.0 customers will have a professional PowerPC native application for their operating system to show off it's true potential. With the exception of Pagestream 5.0 Pro and Hollywood the amount of current professional commercial applications is very limited. There are no native 3D applications for OS 4.0, other Amiga developers left long ago for more lucrative platforms or went out of business.

AROS - For the first time AROS customers will have a professional native 3D animation application for their operating system to show off it's true potential. AROS has never had any commercial 3D software released for it.

MorphOS 2.0 - If a new version of MorphOS ships then a native version will also be produced for this exciting operating system. For the first time MorphOS 2.0 customers will have a professional PowerPC native 3D animation application for their operating system to show off it's true potential.

Mac OS X - Aladdin 4D has a rich heritage on the Amiga platform but never reached it's full potential since it was limited only to Amiga customers. The OS X version of Aladdin 4D will take full advantage of Core Animation/Core Image on Mac OS and should give Mac customers a new, fast and unique animation program to learn 3D and enjoy.

Linux - We are strongly considering doing a version for Linux but the expectation of open source and completely free software may hinder this release. Linux customers will have to show us a demand, then we don't mind supporting them.

Windows - DiscreetFX will never sell a version of Aladdin 4D for Windows but a free version will be included with each purchase of A4D for other platforms. DiscreetFX dares to admit what other developers keep to themselves. That Windows is an old legacy code garbage operating system that should be abandon. The failure of Windows Vista in the marketplace only goes to show that Windows days are numbered. The Windows version of Aladdin 4D will not be free but included as a bonus to support customers that may still temperately be using Windows. It will support the industry standard OpenGL and not lock in technology's like DirectX.

Other versions of Aladdin 4D will take advantage of OpenGL or whatever accelerated graphics technology is available on the host operating system. In order for Amiga OS 4.0 and other Amiga type systems to succeed a developer has to take the risk and release professional software to breath new life into OS4.0/AROS/MorphOS. DiscreetFX is willing to take that lead and work hard to reestablish a market. We welcome competition and hope that other developers will also return to the platform and create fresh new software ideas/releases.

Nova Designs CEO stated, we are happy to have reached a mutual agreement with DiscreetFX and have selected them because we feel they will give Aladdin 4D a great exciting future and will add cool new features.

A message to current Aladdin 4D owners. Be happy your 3D program of choice will not die and has a great future!

The following is a very quick FAQ that will try to cover the most common questions users may have about this acquisition.

1. Will the current Amiga version remain available?

A: Yes, the current version will remain available from DiscreetFX instead of Nova Design.

2. Will the price of Aladdin 4D be going up?

A: Not on the current version but for later versions yes.

3. What about the effort to make Aladdin 4D open source?

A: DiscreetFX also donated to the Open Aladdin effort and was hoping it would succeed. DiscreetFX derived no benefit from donations to this effort but any donators should contact DiscreetFX with your paypal receipt and we will work to accommodate you.

4. What about Aladdin's Lamp newsletter?

A: It will return shortly with a new issue on the DiscreetFX website. All back issues will appear there as well.

5. Why is DiscreetFX getting in the 3D animation software business?

A: We feel there is a need in the lower cost and easy to use beginner's market. This market is currently not being served.

6. Will Aladdin 4D complete with high-end applications like LightWave 3D or Cinema 4D?

A: No Aladdin 4D is a lower end beginners product. In fact once the new version is available DiscreetFX will give buyers a $50 cash back voucher if they buy LightWave 3D within one year of buying Aladdin 4D. Also, we are considering making Aladdin 4D a Lightwave 3D plug-in.

7. Will Aladdin 4D still support the Amiga Video Toaster?

A: Of course, that is one of it's strengths.

8. When will a new version be available.

A: We are still in the process of reviewing source code but rough estimates are 6-12 months. The source code is very portable.

Stay tuned... more information is coming soon.

About DiscreetFX

DiscreetFX has been creating software products for the Amiga, video editing, computer generated graphics (CGI) industry since 1995. The Amiga computer defined and created the video editing, computer graphics market when it went on sale in 1985. The acquisition of Aladdin 4D expands DiscreetFX's portfolio into 3D animation software

Last edited by Pyromania; 18 December 2007 at 02:26.
Old 18 December 2007, 02:18   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Good luck with this venture Discreet FX!
Old 18 December 2007, 02:22   #3
Pyromania

Thanx Zetr0, lots of hard work ahead
Old 18 December 2007, 02:31   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

indeed you do!!!!!

my hope is that it pays off for you and DFX it would be nice to see package deals again...
Old 18 December 2007, 02:43   #5
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Thanx Zetr0, lots of hard work ahead
I must admit that i admire you Pyromania. You have always been so steadfast with your support for the Amiga, and in your open minded multi platform mentality.

All i can say now is "I salute you" and that you are an inspiration. I often think you are not appreciated enough, but i am sure others on here feel the same as me.

Have a fantastic Christmas, and please stay safe and well.
Old 18 December 2007, 02:46   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@blade

Personally i think Pyromania is insane..... i do respect him all the more for it!
Old 18 December 2007, 02:49   #7
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@blade

Personally i think Pyromania is insane..... i do respect him all the more for it!
LOL ... Well through insanity comes creativity, and anything or everything in this world that has been brilliant has come from altered mental states and different ways of thinking.

But i am by no means calling Pyro a basket case
Old 18 December 2007, 02:56   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@blade

well i was going to say love him all the more for it.... but with all the mick_aka fagmosexualness going on. i fear he might get jealous..

@Pyro
please forgive my joviality, i do indeed, admire you tireless efforts and work with DFX, you have my support (although limmited) and my admiration
Old 18 December 2007, 12:27   #9
hippie2000

yeah - DiscreetFX - always moving something unexpected...

good luck, and move on, and wish you the income and the
developers to finish all these platfrom plans!
Old 18 December 2007, 21:25   #10
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

@Pyro:
Best of luck.
Old 19 December 2007, 07:47   #11
Pyromania

The Wikipedia entry for Aladdin 4D has been updated to reflect the acquisition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin4D
Old 19 December 2007, 09:31   #12
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Windows - DiscreetFX will never sell a version of Aladdin 4D for Windows but a free version will be included with each purchase of A4D for other platforms. DiscreetFX dares to admit what other developers keep to themselves. That Windows is an old legacy code garbage operating system that should be abandon. The failure of Windows Vista in the marketplace only goes to show that Windows days are numbered.
Wow, what fucking spin. Never heard anything more ridiculous. Whatever it takes to sell a couple of units I suppose...
Old 19 December 2007, 10:48   #13
Interceptor

it's brilliant, use the clearly dying windows platform to obfuscate your marketing potential and sales figures and promote how alive the major platforms like morphOS and Amiga1.

Companies like SAP and Sage must be shitting themselves now that Windows should be abandon. I sure they wish they had seen it coming.
Old 19 December 2007, 12:24   #14
Photon

Well, it's true everybody I know shuns Vista. But in favor of XP and Linux. It's cool that someone keeps developing, but you could look over some of the write-up.
Old 19 December 2007, 12:31   #15
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Well, it's true everybody I know shuns Vista. But in favor of XP and Linux. It's cool that someone keeps developing, but you could look over some of the write-up.
Yeah, Linux is pretty cool. I have used it in server networks to a limited degree. But I am a Mac user, so I know it better. Both are based on Unix.
I know literally hundreds of people, professionally and personally and even more hundreds via anecdotes, of people switching to Mac. This can be attributed specially to OSX's progressing as it has recent years, and due to Apple's switch to Intel.
I have never, ever, in my life heard of someone switching from Mac to Windows, however.
Old 19 December 2007, 12:37   #16
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
I have never, ever, in my life heard of someone switching from Mac to Windows, however.
I know plenty of people who have Windows installed on their Mac natively or via virtualization. It's not switching, but it means you use both. You paid for a license after all

I know one person who switched from Mac to Windows too. He was told to buy a Mac by a zealot not realising that it just wasn't the tool for his job.

That was in days of PPC though. You have to abstract the hardware from the software now in order to have any sort of debate on the subject. Suggesting that a modern Mac is anything more than a well built, well designed and good looking x86 PC with a different operating system & BIOS is just wrong.

Perhaps you were referring the actual OS when you talked about switching?
Old 19 December 2007, 12:45   #17
blade002
Zone Friend

I use Linux and XP myself, and although Linux is Wonderful, its still a pain the arse to use at the best of times ( took 7 re-installs of Suse 10.2 to get it right, although i've heard 10.3 is a lot better ), but its improving.

And as much as i do sometimes call Windows Shitty ( sorry PJ ), it does have its good points, but i really would love to have a OSX setup as well!. In the near future hopefully that will happen ( damn, i want to get a lot of computer gear lately that i don't have the cash for .. lol ).

What i like about Linux right now though, is that i don't need firewalls, spyware checkers, dont need to worry about viruses..etc. just like with OSX so i have heard. I just really use XP for sound purposes, because the drivers that run my Sound Blaster 24bit in Linux are absolute SHIT !!.. my brother struggled with getting good sound in Linux as well, not to mention smooth video frame rates whilst watching a DVD in Linux, which are "not" that smooth!.

So yes XP does have some solid points ( Screw Vista ), but overall in the grand scheme of things, for security, lack of annoyance & no hassle... a mixture of both Linux & Mac is the way to go. For games, its XP

Its healthy to have all options at your finger tips.
Old 19 December 2007, 12:55   #18
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
but overall in the grand scheme of things, for security, lack of annoyance & no hassle... a mixture of both Linux & Mac is the way to go. For games, its XP
I don't have any of these issues with XP at all, so I use it for everything. Except servers.
Old 19 December 2007, 13:14   #19
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
I don't have any of these issues with XP at all, so I use it for everything. Except servers.
Yeah the issues can be sorted, but what i really meant was that you have to fuck about with so many other pieces of software before its secure, hence it being an annoyance.

I will be getting hold of some proper software for it though soon because i "was" running PC-Cillin in 2006 that i bought from the shop, and it worked real nice and was kind of an all in one solution, but then i lent the CD to a fuckwitt ex-friend of mine because it allowed 2 other users to register themselves, and he lost the CD ( and no, he is not an ex friend because he lost the CD ), which was a problem for me, because i needed to re-install Windows due to the fact the Grub on Linux altered the boot sequence so much i couldn't boot Windows anymore. And with no CD, i was not going to fork out another $100 for the software.
Old 19 December 2007, 13:41   #20
Interceptor

a mixture of linux and mac and then xp for games looks like a major clusterfuck to me.

proof also, that you only need xp for everything, anything else and you still come back to it.

still, it doesnt matter, i'm ditching windows as from today as i've found out here that its a dead platform. i'm going to use my toaster instead.