English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 April 2016, 05:23   #81
Kremlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Not really needed, we users can just decide which keyboard project that we want to succeed, simply by choosing which one we end up supporting. And if both succeed, then great.
The problem is that the user base would likely be split between one or the other, meaning neither would get backed. Or, the one that goes live first would likely succeed.
Old 16 April 2016, 09:17   #82
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremlar View Post
The problem is that the user base would likely be split between one or the other, meaning neither would get backed. Or, the one that goes live first would likely succeed.
Yes, that is what I was trying to tell...

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 17 April 2016, 03:04   #83
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

I started a thread about it here https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/thr...diegogo.77250/
Old 17 April 2016, 19:22   #84
Schuimpy
AMIGA CASE

Thanks a lot, much appreciated. The more publicity the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Old 17 April 2016, 22:48   #85
cmsj

@schuimpy please please please can we have a partial-cut hole above PCMCIA for external CF adapters? The Vampire project have started announcing details about their A1200 accelerator, and the kipper2k External CF board pairs perfectly with Vampires (I have both in my A600). I expect a good number of people who want to get a Vampire for their 1200, will also be looking out for a new case too, and the external CF board is such a good feature compared to opening the whole machine up to swap disks!

Edit: It might also be worth considering that the Vampire 1200 is expected to have two microSD slots, so having some partial-cut holes for exposing those, somewhere near the A1200's expansion bay, would probably be a good idea too!

Second edit: They're also planning to put a SATA port on, which would be perfect for an internally mounted slim CD/DVD drive. If there's any way that could be an option on the left side 3.5" bay, that would be even more awesome
Old 18 April 2016, 09:45   #86
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I am going to support this campaign as soon as I have money on my account, so probably later this week. This is a bit different to Kickstarter, your money is transferred immediatelly, not after the campaign is over.
Old 18 April 2016, 10:36   #87
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
@schuimpy please please please can we have a partial-cut hole above PCMCIA for external CF adapters? The Vampire project have started announcing details about their A1200 accelerator, and the kipper2k External CF board pairs perfectly with Vampires (I have both in my A600).
It seems to me that there are two 'camps' here, one is the Vampire-people, the other is IComp and this project is part of the IComp camp, so they don't care about the Vampire. Besides, I'm not sure why you would need external access to the IDE CF adapter as you can just use the PCMCIA port for that. You have the Vampire SD slot to use for boot drives which should be much faster. But it would be nice to have external access to these SD cards, but I think this design is locked now. They can't keep changing it and I think that once the campaign is kicked off, they should lock the design.
Old 18 April 2016, 10:40   #88
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Correct, but if the Vampire standalone mainboard would have parameters of A1200 PCB (holes, ports placement etc) which are known, it will easily fit into this new case.
Old 18 April 2016, 10:44   #89
demolition
Unregistered User

Mini-ITX layout could also work if they want a smaller board (to reduce cost) since the case is also ready for that.
Old 18 April 2016, 13:58   #90
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
It seems to me that there are two 'camps' here, one is the Vampire-people, the other is IComp and this project is part of the IComp camp, so they don't care about the Vampire.
We are one camp, the Amiga camp

This project is already catering for classic 1200, 1200 Reloaded and miniITX/rPi, so it's clear that this isn't purely about the IComp 1200 Reloaded.

Quote:
Besides, I'm not sure why you would need external access to the IDE CF adapter as you can just use the PCMCIA port for that.
PCMCIA is terrible for CF (particularly booting), and it's needed for networking.

Quote:
You have the Vampire SD slot to use for boot drives which should be much faster. But it would be nice to have external access to these SD cards, but I think this design is locked now. They can't keep changing it and I think that once the campaign is kicked off, they should lock the design.
I'm not sure the design is particularly locked, the Indiegogo timeline suggests that the detailed, technical design isn't due to be finished until August.
Old 18 April 2016, 14:00   #91
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Correct, but if the Vampire standalone mainboard would have parameters of A1200 PCB (holes, ports placement etc) which are known, it will easily fit into this new case.
AFAIK, no design work has yet been done on a Vampire standalone, but I think it's pretty unlikely that it would be an A1200 PCB - if it was, there would be about 90% of the board empty. Even miniITX would be a pretty empty board!
Old 18 April 2016, 15:04   #92
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I understand, I though if the board will be compatible with A1200 holding points (screw holes on that would use the same holes in a case as A1200 mobo). I do not think Vampire PCB will be of the same dimensions and also I would imagine all the ports will be flexible cable-attached, not fixed.
Old 18 April 2016, 15:16   #93
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

^ This

The motherboard doesn't have to, and most likely will not have the same measures as the original. It only needs to fit certain points.
Old 18 April 2016, 15:54   #94
Schuimpy
AMIGA CASE

Hi Predseda,

I chose Indiegogo because they charge less fees then kickstarter and supporters do not have to have a creditcard.

My campaign has a FIXED goal which means no money is send to me yet. I only receive money when the campaign is successfully funded / the goal is reached. If the goal isn't reached in time all supporters will be refunded by Indiegogo. During the campaign, for ever reason you may have, you can claim a refund. Just being honest

For the difference between fixed and flexible funding check this :
https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/205138007-Choose-Your-Funding-Type-Can-I-Keep-My-Money-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I am going to support this campaign as soon as I have money on my account, so probably later this week. This is a bit different to Kickstarter, your money is transferred immediatelly, not after the campaign is over.
Old 18 April 2016, 15:57   #95
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I know, I am just waiting for a payment for an enemy A***I computer that I have just sold through the eBay ;-) I will have re-invest that money to your project.
Old 18 April 2016, 17:30   #96
Schuimpy
AMIGA CASE

Due to the open design of the AMIGA CASE and the removable and replaceable backplates the AMIGA CASE can be made compatible with other/future hardware like MIST FPGA and SAM440ep/460ex. A 3d file of the backplates will be available to work with to make your own. Although the design / measurements etc of the vampire 1200 isn't know / ready yet I assume it will fit nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
We are one camp, the Amiga camp

This project is already catering for classic 1200, 1200 Reloaded and miniITX/rPi, so it's clear that this isn't purely about the IComp 1200 Reloaded.

PCMCIA is terrible for CF (particularly booting), and it's needed for networking.

I'm not sure the design is particularly locked, the Indiegogo timeline suggests that the detailed, technical design isn't due to be finished until August.
Technical applications can not be changed or added. The design is well thought out and discussed many times with our preferred manufacturer.
Technical elaboration : engineering for the prototype and molds.
Old 20 April 2016, 16:45   #97
Kremlar

It's sad to see that the funding for this project has not budged much at all.

Is there any plan if the project does not reach its goal? I suspect that the previous Amiga 1200 case project stole most interested buyers from this project, but I love the flexibility of this design.

This project seems to me like it would sell 90K worth of units long term if there was someone (an Amiga vendor perhaps) willing to take the financial risk.

Also, I think more updates, more info, more marketing by the creator would help. You need to try and excite your potential buyers!
Old 20 April 2016, 20:24   #98
eXeler0

@Kremlar ... And lets not forget that even though Phil's kickstarter was a success in the end, it failed in its first attempt.

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 21 April 2016, 15:04   #99
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Phill's first campaign failed because:
1. It was too short (only one month)
2. It was launched near a holiday season or something like that, when people are not so good with money.

Not such faults in this campaign. But it is still "the second one". An it is still a little vague (Phill had videos of him in a factory, seemed more reassuring and like a guy who knows his business).

I like this concept too, and I will support it. It is cheaper, although I don't know what "the shipping costs" are, I can only see the main price.
Old 21 April 2016, 15:09   #100
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
I like this concept too, and I will support it. It is cheaper, although I don't know what "the shipping costs" are, I can only see the main price.
Don't know if it will be the same for you, but for me the shipping cost was €20 for 1x chassis. I guess it might depend on the destination country, so you probably need to click the pledge button to see the full cost.