English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 02 May 2018, 12:07   #1
fstarred

How to create a desktop icon for WB >= 1.3?

There are some no-OS friendly app like IFF Kefrons converter that from WB run only using CLI or clicking the icon tool after selecting "view all icons".
With the latter one, after double clicking the icon, an annoying prompt window display "Enter command argument", so I must confirm it.

Is there any way to create a shortcut icon that points to the program I want to launch?
Old 02 May 2018, 18:58   #2
Matt_H

Option 1: Create an icon for the tool using DOpus, IconEdit, or Shell (copy someothertool.info tool.info). Add the tooltypes CLI and DONOTPROMPT. I think this option may require OS3.5+

Option 2: Open a plain-text editor. Enter the name of your tool and any command-line arguments as if you were running it from a Shell. Save the text file in the same path as your tool. Add an icon. Set the icon type to Project. Set the default tool to IconX.
Old 03 May 2018, 12:23   #3
fstarred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Option 2: Open a plain-text editor. Enter the name of your tool and any command-line arguments as if you were running it from a Shell. Save the text file in the same path as your tool. Add an icon. Set the icon type to Project. Set the default tool to IconX.
Uhm, something's wrong with the procedure I followed.

Let's say the executable is "runme.exe", then I:
go to the same path of the above file, create a text file, type "runme.exe" then name it "iffconv".
Then I open IconEdit and create an icon named iffconv.info on the same path of "runme.exe" ad "iffconv".
Tried to add either "iffconv" and "runme.exe" , but it says "unable to open tool iffconv".

Where am I wrong ?
Old 03 May 2018, 14:30   #4
Daedalus

The Icon Type must be set to Project for a file like that. This will let you set the default tool, which should be IconX. The icon type can be set in IconEdit.
Old 03 May 2018, 15:16   #5
fstarred

Well, It works using IconEdit by creating an icon Project and setting the default tool to "runme.exe".
The text file is useless or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance
Old 03 May 2018, 15:19   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

fstarred you can specify the operating system and the name of the application you want to run
Old 03 May 2018, 15:28   #7
fstarred

Amiga 600 + WBench 2.04 + iffconverter by KEFrens 1.35

Last edited by fstarred; 03 May 2018 at 15:38.
Old 03 May 2018, 15:50   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

So I have attached a small video that shows the two modes with os 2.x, association icon (through a file manager Dopus4 or DirWork) or launch application through a script from an icon. Now I look for KEFrens 1.35 to see if it has other requests in the path.

--------- Italiano ---------

Allora ti ho allegato un piccolo video che mostra le due modalità con Os 2.x, associazione icona (attraverso un file manager Dopus4 o DirWork) oppure lancio applicazione attraverso uno script da icona. Adesso cerco KEFrens 1.35 per vedere se ha altre richieste nel percorso.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 May 2018 at 18:54.
Old 03 May 2018, 15:58   #9
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarred View Post
Well, It works using IconEdit by creating an icon Project and setting the default tool to "runme.exe".
The text file is useless or am I missing something?
Not really, that approach would also work so long as providing the name of the text file to runme.exe as an argument doesn't confuse it. The text file is an AmigaDOS script that IconX would execute for you, allowing the executable to behave as if it was run from the Shell.
Old 03 May 2018, 17:27   #10
fstarred

Thank you very much !!!

These are very precious informations
Old 03 May 2018, 17:48   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

I have tested Kefrens-IFFCon135, it is a simple executable to be precise self-extracting so you can use the methods shown in the video.
Reading "runme.exe" makes me think that you use WinUAE and that you dragged the executable to the Workbench, if you want to see the real name on the Workbench instead before dragging it put the executable in a folder, in this way, once you drag it, you will see the folder on the Workbench e dentro ci trovi il tuo eseguibile con il nome reale and inside you find your executable with the real name.

----------- Italiano ---------

Ho testato Kefrens-IFFCon135, si tratta di un semlice eseguibile, per essere precisi un eseguibile autoscompattante quindi puoi utilizzare i metodi mostrati nel video.
Leggendo "runme.exe" mi fa pensare che tu usi WinUAE e che hai trascinato l'eseguibile sul Workbench, se vuoi vedere invece il nome reale sul Workbench prima di trascinarlo metti l'eseguibile in una cartella, in questo modo una volta trascinata ti comparirà la cartella sul Workbench e dentro ci trovi il tuo eseguibile con il nome reale.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 May 2018 at 18:09.
Old 03 May 2018, 18:17   #12
fstarred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I have tested Kefrens-IFFCon135, it is a simple executable to be precise self-extracting so you can use the methods shown in the video.
Reading "runme.exe" makes me think that you use WinUAE and that you dragged the executable to the Workbench, if you want to see the real name on the Workbench instead before dragging it put the executable in a folder, in this way, once you drag it, you will see the folder on the Workbench e dentro ci trovi il tuo eseguibile con il nome reale and inside you find your executable with the real name.

----------- Italiano ---------

Ho testato Kefrens-IFFCon135, si tratta di un semlice eseguibile, per essere precisi un eseguibile autoscompattante quindi puoi utilizzare i metodi mostrati nel video.
Leggendo "runme.exe" mi fa pensare che tu usi WinUAE e che hai trascinato l'eseguibile sul Workbench, se vuoi vedere invece il nome reale sul Workbench prima di trascinarlo metti l'eseguibile in una cartella, in questo modo una volta trascinata ti comparirà la cartella sul Workbench e dentro ci trovi il tuo eseguibile con il nome reale.
Actually I'm using FS-UAE, however I've already found the file "runme.exe" on the adf so I don't think is a matter of emulator

Last edited by fstarred; 03 May 2018 at 18:22.
Old 03 May 2018, 18:32   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Are you sure it's a real floppy image? if I can give me the link of the ADF file? WinUAE still accepts an executable Amiga as if it were an ADF creating automatically the startup-sequence and an executable with name "runme.exe"
I do not know if FS-UAE does the same thing, if you give me the link we immediately resolve the doubt, because you could be right because on amiga in the past it was also used to give that name to executables

-------- Italiano ----------

Sei sicuro che sia una vera immagine di floppy? se lecito mi dai il link del file ADF? WinUAE accetta comunque un eseguibile Amiga come se fosse un ADF creando automaticamente la startup-sequence e un eseguibile con nome "runme.exe"
Non so se FS-UAE faccia la stessa cosa, se mi dai il link risolviamo subito il dubbio, perchè potresti avere ragione, su Amiga in passato si usava dare anche quel nome agli eseguibili

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 May 2018 at 18:37.
Old 03 May 2018, 18:41   #14
fstarred

Take a look here!
Old 03 May 2018, 18:54   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

I was not wrong, that is not a ADF but a "compacted" Amiga executable FS-UAE supports and loads it as if it were a floppy. Watch the video as unzipped the file and then the same file seen as floppy when dragged or loaded as floppy.

---------- Italiano -----------

Non mi ero sbagliato, quello non è un ADF ma un eseguibile "compattato" Amiga FS-UAE supporta e lo carica come se fosse un floppy. Guarda il video come scompatto il file e poi lo stesso file visto come floppy quando trascinato o caricato come floppy.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 May 2018 at 19:05.
Old 03 May 2018, 19:04   #16
AMIGASYSTEM

Watch the video again I changed it now it's easier to understand

----------- Italiano ------------

Guarda nuovamente il video l'ho cambiato ora è più facile capire

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 10 May 2018 at 19:29.
Old 03 May 2018, 21:33   #17
fstarred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Watch the video again I changed it now it's easier to understand

----------- Italiano ------------

Guarda nuovamente il video l'ho cambiato ora è più facile capire
I was not aware of that

Honestly I don't get a thing, the "runme.exe" is an emulator hack or would run also on a real device?

------------ Italian --------
Non lo sapevo, comunque non ho capito se "runme.exe" girerebbe in teoria anche su un vero amiga o funziona solo su un emulatore
Old 03 May 2018, 22:27   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

Non lo sapevo, comunque non ho capito se "runme.exe" girerebbe in teoria anche su un vero amiga o funziona solo su un emulatore
Then "runme.exe" on a real Amiga you'll never see it unless you rename it, then that file is an exe and not being a real ADF DMS (Floppy Image compressed) you will not be able to write it on floppy with programs like type ADF-Blitzer, TSGui o ADFer (the most powerful).

To start that file from a real Amiga you simply have to copy that file as you see it on a formatted Amiga or PC if you have CrossDOSFileSystem and then run it normally from the workbench or from a shell as explained above.

If you want to start the Amiga directly with the program then you have to create a bootable floppy, copy the file and create a startup-sequence as you did for the script.

----------- Italiano ----------------

Allora "runme.exe" su un vero Amiga non lo vedrai mai salvo non lo rinomini tu, poi quel file è un exe e non essendo un vero ADF o DMS (Immagine floppy compresso) non potrai scriverlo su floppy con programmi tipo ADF-Blitzer, TSGui o ADFer (il più potente)

Per avviare quel file da un Amiga Reale devi semplicemente copiare quel file così come lo vedi su un floppy formattato Amiga o PC se hai CrossDOSFileSystem e poi eseguirlo normalmente dal workbench o da una shell come spiegato sopra.

Se invece vuoi avviare l'Amiga direttamente con il programma allora devi creare un floppy bootable, copiare il file e creare una startup-sequence come hai fatto per lo script.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 May 2018 at 22:35.
Old 04 May 2018, 00:35   #19
fstarred

I don't like to have emulator hack software..here I read that I can unpack runme.exe, Tomorrow I ll give a try.
PS
What OS are you running on the latest video?
Looks awesome!!!

PPS
is it possible to avoid opening shell window when using iconX?

I ve read this Wiki hoverever I m not sure where to type that command (I ve also read someone setting tooltype to NIL)
Old 04 May 2018, 01:40   #20
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I don't like to have emulator hack software..here I read that I can unpack runme.exe, Tomorrow I ll give a try.
I think you're a bit 'confusing, that runme.exe does not really exist is a fictitious name that from WinUAE and FS-UAE, in practice "any" executable "Amiga" that you put in the floppy reader of the emulator will be started as floppy bootable where the executable will always have the name runme.exe (try to put another amiga executable in the floppy reader of the emulator, take it from the Workbench and you'll see that you'll still find a file named runme.exe) because the startup-sequence preset for this virtual floppy (ceato emulator) always has as command runme.exe, the same result if you drag an executable Amiga from the Windows Desktop on the Workbench this because once dragged you go to automatically insert into the reader floppy. Files with a rare .exe extension on Amiga are just an option if you add the .exe extension to an executable this will only work if the extension you need to type, once you used this extension as some sort of antivirus protection.

--------- Italiano ---------

Credo che tu faccia un po' di confusione, quel runme.exe realmente non esiste è un nome fittizio che da WinUAE e FS-UAE, in pratica "qualsiasi" eseguibile "Amiga" che tu metterai nel lettore floppy dell'emulatore sarà avviato come floppy bootable dove l'eseguibile avrà sempre il nome runme.exe (prova a mettere nel lettore floppy dell'emulatore un'altro eseguibile amiga, prendilo dal Workbench e vedrai che ti ritroverai ancora un file di nome runme.exe) perchè la startup-sequence preimpostata per questo floppy virtuale (ceato dall'emulatore) ha sempre come comando runme.exe, lo stesso risultato si ha se tu trascini un eseguibile Amiga dal Desktop di Windows sul Workbench questo perchè una volta trascinato si va ad infilare automaticamente nel lettore floppy. I file con estensione .exe rari su Amiga sono solo una opzione se tu aggiungi l'estensione .exe ad un eseguibile questo funzionerà comunque solo che l'estensione la devi digitare, una volta si usava questa estensione come una sorta di protezione antivirus.

Quote:
PS
What OS are you running on the latest video?
Looks awesome!!!
And a normal OS 3.9 BB4 RTG with AfA-OS extension, the system is called precisely AfA-OS and of course you will not find it the same anywhere, look here:

[ Show youtube player ]

---------- Italiano -----------

E un normale OS 3.9 BB4 RTG con estensione AfA-OS, il sistema si chiama appunto AfA-OS e naturalmente non lo troverai uguale da nessuna parte, guarda qui:
[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
PPS
is it possible to avoid opening shell window when using iconX?
If you are referring to the shell opened by the application yes, in the script you can add the Run >NIL: before or only >NIL: after the command

---------- Italiano ---------

Se ti riferisci alla shell aperta dall'aplicazione si, nello script puoi aggiungere il Run >NIL: davanti o solo >NIL: dopo il comando. i riferisci al problema inizio discussione

Se devi farmi altre domande complesse o andare OT, meglio farle in Italiano su un forum Italiano

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 04 May 2018 at 09:52.