English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 June 2005, 11:18   #1
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

if the Amiga today had....

as many "dedicated followers" as we had in the early 90's......what software would we have, that could seriously compete with MSOffice/OpenOffice, Msie/Firefox/Opera and that sort of things?

I mean, we had a really unique group back then......coders and stuff.

Commodore and the first to obtain their licenses messed up pretty sadly......
Old 09 June 2005, 11:48   #2
IFW

It would be THE Home Computer to have.

People using other machines would whinge about monopoly, they would probably have better and cheaper hardware not branded C=, but nobody would care about them and so on.
Rest assured whatever is the top dog in some market it always makes people belonging to others annoyed.

Human nature.

The moral of the story is to use whatever fits _your_ purpose with hardware and software and don't care about what others think, and what is cool.
Also never get emotionally attached to vendors, whatever their business image is, they are run by suits and shareholders, the only reason for their existence is to make profit. If their product is good for you use it, once it is no longer good forget about it. They think the same about the customers, there is no reason to act differently as a customer either.
Old 09 June 2005, 12:26   #3
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie
as many "dedicated followers" ...would we have, that could seriously compete with MSOffice/OpenOffice, Msie/Firefox/Opera and that sort of things?
Well we would have the same open source project, open office, forefox, miranda and so on.. while the PD scene of the amiga was good for its time it's a tiny blimp to todays OS projects. Good solutions, commercial or not eventually make it into programs regardless of platform

If you view the amiga as a cheap computer platform with good gaming and media capabilities then the PCs are that standard today, with out the luggage of a single hardware producer.
Old 09 June 2005, 16:19   #4
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

the PD scene would still be good I guess..... since in a perfect world, the Big C= wouldn't have gone bust, and the A4000+ (or whatever they called the computer were working on after the A1200/A4000 line) would've been a huge success, and Windows would've died a slow and (hopefully) painful death :P