English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 30 December 2006, 18:24   #1
Bloodwych

Surfing on the ClassicWB FULL with Aweb

Just tried it for a laugh.

It's actually usable and would run on a standard A1200 020 with 6-8MB fastram!

...all be it very slowly. The program actually runs quite fast, just the graphics rendering really hurts on a 14Mhz 020.

Uses Fblit for all the graphics so chipram usage is fine.

For such an old machine, it amazes me that you can surf the web on a TVset using Workbench 3.0 and a bog standard A1200 with fastram. What a great computer and software support after all these years!

The final ClassicWB versions will include AWeb (open source) and a TCP/IP stack for those who want to network their real A1200's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CWBSurf00.png
Views:	510
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	12878   Click image for larger version

Name:	CWBSurf01.png
Views:	436
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	12879   Click image for larger version

Name:	CWBSurf02.png
Views:	416
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	12880   Click image for larger version

Name:	CWBSurf03.png
Views:	462
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	12881  
Old 30 December 2006, 23:50   #2
Frog

the major problem when surfing with amiga is as you said the graphic display. With an expansion card such as a Blizzard 030 is a bit better but i guess with a good config such as a Voodooo with 060, amiga surfing should became a real pleasure. There's still some problem when surfing as browser as too old (no flash support except latest IBrowse or beta support in Voyager
There's some good stuff for internet on amiga as AmIRC, dynAMIte...
I think still surfing on amiga is different than surfing on PC.

i wish that my amiga still work to be able to surf with it.

I recently discover some good tool on PC that lack on amiga. Especially video editing, animgif. Amiga tools are too old... or my amiga config is too old to be able to use existing software in a fast method.
Old 31 December 2006, 11:11   #3
Bloodwych

Yeah, of course it's never going to be a serious replacement for modern machines and lacks modern features - but like I said, it's a wonder a machine so old and slow (by today’s standards) can still pull it off on a dusty old tv set with such little memory.

Personally, like yourself, I'd never use a Classic Amiga for web surfing no matter how powerful it was. It just doesn't make sense when you can have a modern computer and browser to cover the tasks.

For a little retro nostalgia though, it can be fun just to try and see it working.
Old 01 January 2007, 10:49   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

WOW, those are... HUGE logos

Gotta admit, it's just SO cool to load such stuff on the Amy dearest, maybe one day i'll be not-lazy enough to do so myself...
Old 01 January 2007, 11:35   #5
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Personally, like yourself, I'd never use a Classic Amiga for web surfing no matter how powerful it was. It just doesn't make sense when you can have a modern computer and browser to cover the tasks.

For a little retro nostalgia though, it can be fun just to try and see it working.

Well I did it and for about 2 years with my A1200, Blizzard 1230+16MB, Amiga M1438S Multisync Monitor.
It's not surely ideal for surfing, but for simple downloads it was a little, little faster Vs. my office PC.
However, as you wrote, it is fun to see it works.
Old 01 January 2007, 14:23   #6
dambuster
Zone Friend

What timing, I get a network card for my A1200, and you release network specific version - crystal ball or what

Brilliant thanks
Old 01 January 2007, 19:16   #7
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
the major problem when surfing with amiga is as you said the graphic display. With an expansion card such as a Blizzard 030 is a bit better but i guess with a good config such as a Voodooo with 060, amiga surfing should became a real pleasure. There's still some problem when surfing as browser as too old (no flash support except latest IBrowse or beta support in Voyager
My surfing experience with a real A1200:

I think you're right about cards, but I would add at least a DBLPAL Monitor (My Amiga M1438S=720x512 =DBLPAL modified).

Unfortunately, surfing old pages is slow. I don't know if the slow speed depends for my 2,5" HD or for my Blizzard 1230IV+16MB.

For TCP/IP connection I used the old Termite TCP. Ugly for configuration but very light about memory saving.

The utility FBlit is needed for chip memory saving.
Old 02 January 2007, 02:26   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I used to run voyager and I-browse on my 060 + CV643d Mk2 setup, and i admit, (it was going through a dialup btw back then) it was sincerely awsome!!!

it was about te same display speed as the 95 box i had next to it ( i would at times get graphical errors on the 95 box btw lol) but not my miggy it was awsome and will be again soon....
Old 02 January 2007, 08:39   #9
rsn8887

I used Voyager on A1200 with Blizzard 030 on dialup with 28.8k (or was it 14.4?) modem. Graphics looked good in interlace, albeit the flicker. And it did a nice palette re-optimization for every page to make gfx look good in 256 colors. Slow, but usable. I used that setup and Voyager way before I got my cyrix 133 (or was it 166) Win95 box in 1996.

Even before all that, before the 030 and even before miami I tried out Amosaic with amitcp, and before that I used gopher and stuff via amitcp. I also used alynx sometimes, too for fast text based www. Good times!

The A1200 was just incredibly powerful and versatile. 3.0 was so far ahead of its time, and _lightyears_ ahead of the old OS 1.3/1.2, no comparison even. The tools were great, remember AmFTP and AmIRC - such good programs.
Old 04 April 2018, 01:21   #10
Sinphaltimus

OK, Not sure how to troubleshoot this.

I've got classicWB UAE version (because it was the largest of the installs with the most features afaik) up and running on my A500 with vampire card and EXP port ethernet running WB3.1 (cloanto).

I installed my purchased copy of roadshow and all seems fine there. I'm even using SMBFS to map to a share on my NAS without any issues. I can also ping 8.8.8.8 without issue so I can get out to the internet.

However; when I double click on AWEb, it just never opens. I see the msg "attempting to run AWEB" appear for a fraction of a second in the title bar of WB but then it just disappears.

Is there a config file I must text edit or something?

I even went ahead and installed ClassAct and the AWeb Demo in a different directory to try that but same results.

Lastly, as a worst case scenario - are there any other web browsers I can try with WB3.1?

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 04 April 2018 at 01:22. Reason: fixed a typo
Old 04 April 2018, 01:37   #11
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

IBrowse only needs WB 3.0 and MUI
Old 04 April 2018, 01:50   #12
Sinphaltimus

Thanks Retrofan - I will give that a shot.

EDIT: Thank you very much RetroFan - After installation it fired right up - Demo version but there's no way to register until the new version comes out for purchase. It will do for now, better something working than not.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 04 April 2018 at 01:58. Reason: See EDIT: Above.
Old 04 April 2018, 02:08   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

From the IBrowse documentation:

https://www.ibrowse-dev.net/documentation/

Quote:
System Requirements
The following are the system requirements for this release of IBrowse²:
Minimum Requirements:

Kickstart 3.0
MC68020 or higher
5 MB free memory (6 MB for AmiSSLv2)
MUI 3.8
Edit: Sorry to say, but if you search Googling you'll find the key very fast. That's the only solution by now, till they sell new keys or a newer version.
Old 04 April 2018, 02:24   #14
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

BTW if you want a nice games launcher, you can use iGame, and I also made an installer to play nice music while you run it. I think that the ClassicWB Little install will suit you. If you already have iGame and you want to try the script, make a backup of all of your iGame icons first so you can change them later:

[ Show youtube player ]

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=771

Last edited by Retrofan; 04 April 2018 at 02:50.