English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 April 2017, 22:28   #1
Locutus

Picasso96 sold...

Well.... http://picasso96.tabt.de/

Its something, lets see what comes of this....
Old 12 April 2017, 23:05   #2
matthey
Banned

Interesting if true, especially the joint part (between Hyperion and Individual Computers) and classic support. Do we have a big 3 (Hyperion, A-Eon, Individual) now or just more legal entanglements when one goes bankrupt and legal hurdles for everyone else. Then again, Hyperion has money to spend after they were declared bankrupt just a few years ago. We will have to see what these fine ethics and PR companies have to say about the acquisition and their new relationships in a new episode of As the Amigaworld Turns (over in its grave).

Edit: Hmm, I don't see any discussions on other forums.

Last edited by matthey; 12 April 2017 at 23:17.
Old 12 April 2017, 23:17   #3
wawa

this has been en course since some time. actually since mntmn and vampire rtg implementation broughtup licensing questions and both hyperion and incdividual computers came into the game with an attempt of intermediation. you can rerfer to a thread on a1k if you read german, otherwise thor (thomas richter) might offer some further insight, as he seems to have been involved in the deals:
http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread....83#post1062883

what i dont understand is how the same thing can be sold to two independant parties at one tome, except they joined an agreement to afford it. we will se how this unrolls in practice.

however if the licensing will become unbearable for community projects an open alternative might become even more relevant.
Old 12 April 2017, 23:17   #4
klx300r

Thumbs up

this is great news as Jens and Hyperion are producing REAL products we can buy and use today unlike amiga.com..this guarantees further development
Old 13 April 2017, 00:00   #5
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
what i dont understand is how the same thing can be sold to two independent parties at one time, except they joined an agreement to afford it. we will see how this unrolls in practice.
Anything is possible with contracts. Perhaps Hyperion now owns P96 for AmigaOS 4 and PPC and Jens own it for the AmigaOS (classic) and 68k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
this is great news as Jens and Hyperion are producing REAL products we can buy and use today unlike amiga.com..this guarantees further development
The question isn't whether they have "real" products but rather whether they have real products worth buying. This highly depends on affordability and most Amiga users are choosing UAE and AROS over their products. Manufacturing a few hundred hardware products is ludicrous.
Old 13 April 2017, 00:10   #6
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post

The question isn't whether they have "real" products but rather whether they have real products worth buying. This highly depends on affordability and most Amiga users are choosing UAE and AROS over their products. Manufacturing a few hundred hardware products is ludicrous.
I don't know where you're getting your stats from but I have bought many hardware products for my classics from Individual Computers over the years and the most recent was an ACA500+ from just a few months ago and I know ALOT of people that own these products as well. oh & finally got to pay for my Vampire500+ so last few years have been amazing for hardware/software for Amiga !
I also own OS4.1 hardware and use AmigaOS4.1 FE every single day and know ALOT of people that do as well. Lots of developments in both classic and OS4 camps which shows that there are many amigans still using real hardware out there and for those that like to emulate then UAE and AROS are free alternatives so everyone is happy

Last edited by klx300r; 13 April 2017 at 03:08.
Old 13 April 2017, 00:11   #7
Seiya

bad news. now you have to pay video driver to use your graphic card on Amiga
Old 13 April 2017, 00:41   #8
-Acid-

This cannot be good news for the Vampire, why would Jens pay for something and allow the competition to use it with their products which are in direct competition with his own?

This should have been given to the community and open sourced. Obviously the authors have been lured by money (can't blame them for that), i'm not sure how much has been paid for it but surely the Amiga scene should have been given the opportunity to crowd fund it or something before it was sold to private companies?
Old 13 April 2017, 00:51   #9
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
I don't know where you're getting your stats from but I have bought many hardware products for my classics from Individual Computers over the years and the most recent was an ACA500+ from just a few months ago and I know ALOT of people that own these products as well.
I also own OS4.1 hardware and use AmigaOS4.1 FE every single day and know ALOT of people that do as well. Lots of developments in both classic and OS4 camps which shows that there are many amigans still using real hardware out there and for those that like to emulate then UAE and AROS are free alternatives so everyone is happy
I don't know anyone around here with a PPC AmigaOS4 FE or anyone who wants one. There are a few people left with classic Amigas, maybe a few more who won't admit to it (Amiga users are ridiculed and made fun of around here if you dare mention the name). Maybe lantus360 owns an Individual accelerator (he has a Vampire accelerator and Mediator). That is the only person I know of with newer Amiga gear besides me and my Mediator. There are really Amiga people around you with newer Amiga hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
bad news. now you have to pay video driver to use your graphic card on Amiga
It's a modular approach to bleeding the classes (object oriented marketing). Get your enhancement disk with drivers today, after you buy the overpriced hardware and then the overpriced AmigaOS .
Old 13 April 2017, 01:27   #10
emufan

he doesnt generate enough profit anymore.
so he found an affiliate to share the costs when he starts to sue his competitiors.

#1) ridiculous thing - it was close to impossible to contact former owners,
now they lists their email and want a comment. F*** Y** anyone ?

#2) what about the attempt to free CyberGraphX ? havnt heard anything since month, once the author was here.

Last edited by emufan; 13 April 2017 at 01:33.
Old 13 April 2017, 01:28   #11
grelbfarlk

Well what about this perspective, everyone who needs the P96 drivers for the cards they own already have them. Say Picasso96 3.0 comes out and people want it for their Spectrums, Merlins, Retinas and so forth-well that might cost some money.

But if Jens adds a GFX chip to an ACA or the A1200 reloaded and he includes the driver, no problem there.

Vampire guys have stated that they feel they did not infringe on the copyrights and even tried to pay for the license but there were no takers-no one wanted their money. Nothing changes here for all the stuff that's already out there (old versions). I imagine the Vampire team will still produce their P96 2.x drivers for their future cards one way or another. And the Vampire team's position at least what some of their key members stated to the effect of "Some guy wrote the driver for us, anyone can sue him if they want."

Now imagine the situation where Jens includes the GFX chip on the ACA or A1200 reloaded but it doesn't work unless you buy the driver separately. Or Jens sues the Vampire team. I don't know that either of these outcomes are likely to happen, lets just wait and see.
Old 13 April 2017, 01:41   #12
emufan

he chooses Hyperion as strategic partner - whose product is AmigaOS4 -
for a software dedicated to classic 3.x system - Kim Jong-un finaly arrived in amiga-La-La-land
Old 13 April 2017, 01:59   #13
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
#1) ridiculous thing - it was close to impossible to contact former owners,
now they lists their email and want a comment. F*** Y** anyone ?
I am still suspicious of this. The page appears to be over a month old although not the same date as the Apollo web site announcement that Hyperion would release AmigaOS 4 for the Vampire.

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=1&note=4533

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Vampire guys have stated that they feel they did not infringe on the copyrights and even tried to pay for the license but there were no takers-no one wanted their money. Nothing changes here for all the stuff that's already out there (old versions). I imagine the Vampire team will still produce their P96 2.x drivers for their future cards one way or another. And the Vampire team's position at least what some of their key members stated to the effect of "Some guy wrote the driver for us, anyone can sue him if they want."
I believe the Vampire RTG and FPGA Arcade P96 RTG support is safe as they were likely properly reverse engineered. Future versions of P96 may not work with these old drivers and Hyperion/Individual could request Aminet to remove old versions of P96 like A-Eon did with Personal Paint (PR disaster though).
Old 13 April 2017, 02:00   #14
kev
Banned

i see nothin good or cheap from this deal
Old 13 April 2017, 02:14   #15
emufan

<irony> yeah, it really broke my heart, when I realiszed it was an april's hoax. </irony>
I only can underline what kev said :/
Old 13 April 2017, 02:15   #16
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
I am still suspicious of this. The page appears to be over a month old although not the same date as the Apollo web site announcement that Hyperion would release AmigaOS 4 for the Vampire.

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=1&note=4533

I believe the Vampire RTG and FPGA Arcade P96 RTG support is safe as they were likely properly reverse engineered. Future versions of P96 may not work with these old drivers and Hyperion/Individual could request Aminet to remove old versions of P96 like A-Eon did with Personal Paint (PR disaster though).
You never know the intent behind this. Maybe Jens wants to license or use the MNT2000 card or build his own RTG support and wants to be sure he has a license to P96. Why don't we just wait a little bit before eating each other in despair. If it turns out bad then we can just have our massive flamewars and alienate what's left of the Amiga community.
Old 13 April 2017, 02:19   #17
emufan

as allways, sit & wait, until the big players tell us stupid consumers what we have to do.
and think of the orphans, erm, children:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 April 2017, 02:22   #18
Overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
as allways, sit & wait, until the big players tell us stupid consumers what we have to do.
Your location is Tulsi Gabbard, and you should her spirit, ask for evidence of foul play before passing judgement. Just sayin
Old 13 April 2017, 02:26   #19
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Your location is Tulsi Gabbard, and you should her spirit, ask for evidence of foul play before passing judgement. Just sayin
good point. but when the first payment request hits Team Apollo/Vampire, i demand a perm ban for this very person.

#1) thumbs up for recognizing her!

Last edited by emufan; 13 April 2017 at 02:32.
Old 13 April 2017, 04:15   #20
wawa

Quote:
. but when the first payment request hits Team Apollo/Vampire
i dont know about vampire, but according to the autor of the fpga rtg card, he has been contatcted with a request to resell p96 licenses with his cards, which he apparently refused.

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread....04#post1062904