English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What game do you want to see ported to the Amiga?
Rolling Thunder (Arcade) 21 6.58%
Gauntlet (Arcade) 29 9.09%
Shinobi (Arcade) 49 15.36%
Pacman (Arcade) 7 2.19%
Final Fight (Arcade) 35 10.97%
Rastan (Arcade) 30 9.40%
Side Arms (Arcade) 1 0.31%
Nemesis/Gradius (Arcade) 13 4.08%
Raiden (Arcade) 10 3.13%
Raiden II (Arcade) 11 3.45%
Space Invaders (Arcade) 2 0.63%
Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja (Arcade) 6 1.88%
Wonder Boy (Arcade) 46 14.42%
Axelay (SNES) 9 2.82%
Double Dragon (Arcade) 13 4.08%
None - Do my own game! 37 11.60%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 November 2019, 23:08   #361
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

if that purple thing on Splatterhouse isn't transparency (you got me), you really can draw it at just 25hz

But its still going to take the whole screen at some point, so...
Old 12 November 2019, 23:27   #362
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
if that purple thing on Splatterhouse isn't transparency (you got me), you really can draw it at just 25hz

But its still going to take the whole screen at some point, so...
It's transparency... I've just had a look.

You could do the game in 16 colours but 5 bitplanes, in the 5th bitplane have the transparency creep up from the left and just have a Red tinted palette in registers 16-31.

That's one way to do it.

Could probably do it arcade perfect on A1200.... A500 might be a stretch as I'd opt for dual playfield mode because there is lots going on in the background.

It might be worth a seperate thread in the coders sections to get into the detail.
Old 12 November 2019, 23:56   #363
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Could probably do it arcade perfect on A1200.... A500 might be a stretch as I'd opt for dual playfield mode because there is lots going on in the background.
You and your AGA ports. Hmpf. :P :P (Just because I don't own an AGA machine )

The single bitplane to do that thing is a good idea.

If you draw the main hero as a sprite, you really think you'd still need Dual Playfield? I look at the PC Engine version and I really think ECS with 16 colors could handle it.

But of course, you are way more experienced than me on this regard
Old 13 November 2019, 05:12   #364
sandruzzo

@Shatterhand

Only way to be sure, is to give it a shot
Old 13 November 2019, 05:20   #365
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
@Shatterhand

Only way to be sure, is to give it a shot
I only code in Blitz Basic and I am already 100% sure I can only push the Amiga hardware by coding 100% 68k Asm, and I really don't see me going this route at this point of my life
Old 13 November 2019, 05:29   #366
sandruzzo

@Shatterhand

Speed is one thing, to know if somenthig is gonna fly, can be done with all languages...
Old 13 November 2019, 05:38   #367
blade002
Zone Friend

X-Multiply would be good
Old 13 November 2019, 18:27   #368
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
X-Multiply would be good
Surprised nobody ported X-multiply at the time and instead Dragon Breed was ported; is a good game too but X has a more strategic playability in R-Type style
Old 13 November 2019, 18:28   #369
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Surprised nobody ported X-multiply at the time and instead Dragon Breed was ported; is a good game too but X has a more strategic playability in R-Type style
tough challenge
Old 13 November 2019, 18:31   #370
sandruzzo

What About this? I did it...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 November 2019, 20:19   #371
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

A lot of names of people i know more of less by person! Morolli in example, i know him in person, was on the Amiga Club Rimini and is also the coder of Bubble Heroes!
Tomljanovich i know only by fame but for me Black Vyper is its own masterpiece on Amiga land!

Graphical Style reminds me of T-zer0 a bit

Did you used a Nick there? (sandro sabene = sandro knows it good)

Last edited by saimon69; 13 November 2019 at 20:28.
Old 14 November 2019, 03:08   #372
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
A lot of names of people i know more of less by person! Morolli in example, i know him in person, was on the Amiga Club Rimini and is also the coder of Bubble Heroes!
Tomljanovich i know only by fame but for me Black Vyper is its own masterpiece on Amiga land!

Graphical Style reminds me of T-zer0 a bit

Did you used a Nick there? (sandro sabene = sandro knows it good)
Morolli and meself coded that game! What a Man! And Tomljanovich did the musics!!! Codename:T2 EVEN igor was part of that team, and coders of t*zero as well!
Old 14 November 2019, 07:55   #373
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

If you still hear Morolli ask him what happened to Andrea "Ugolone" Mansella and all the rest of the club... ^^
Old 01 December 2019, 11:58   #374
skyzoo73

I think a fair way to decide which arcade game to play on the Amiga 500 is to consider the arcade games produced in the marketing years of that particular Amiga model, at most with a 1 year margin.

1986:
February - Namco releases Sky Kid Deluxe, their first game to use a Yamaha YM2151 FM sound chip.
February - SNK releases Ikari Warriors, which shares many elements with Taito's Front Line from 1982, but adds two-player simultaneous play and visuals closer to 1985's Commando. It is SNK's breakthrough game in the US.
April - Sega releases Wonder Boy, the first in the series.
August - Taito releases Bubble Bobble.
July 8 - Namco releases The Return of Ishtar, which is the sequel to The Tower of Druaga.
July - Ten years after Atari's Breakout, Taito releases Arkanoid, which adds power-ups and unique levels and generally reinvigorates the concept.
September 20 - Sega releases the Out Run racing game.
October 1 - Namco releases Genpei T?ma Den.
November 1 - Sega releases Alex Kidd in Miracle World, It is the first game in the Alex Kidd series created for this character, and the most popular of all Alex Kidd games.
December - Namco releases Rolling Thunder, distributed outside Japan by Atari Games.

1987:

1988:

April, Namco releases Assault, which may be the first game to use hardware rotation of sprites and the background.
August, Sega releases Altered Beast, later ported to the Mega Drive/Genesis where it was packaged with the console in North America and Europe.
December, Capcom releases Ghouls 'n Ghosts, the sequel to Ghosts 'n Goblins.
December, Namco releases Winning Run, the first polygonal 3D arcade racing game.
December, Techn?s Japan releases Double Dragon II: The Revenge, the first sequel to Double Dragon, released during the previous year.
Atari Games releases an official arcade version of Tetris as well as Cyberball and Toobin'.
Namco releases World Stadium, Berabow Man, Marchen Maze, Bakutotsu Kijuutei, which is the sequel to Baraduke, Ordyne, Metal Hawk, World Court, Splatterhouse, which is the first game to get a parental advisory disclaimer, Mirai Ninja, Face Off and Phelios.
Williams releases the violent, drug-themed NARC, beginning a run of major hits for the company.

1989:

February, Atari Games releases the Hard Drivin' arcade game, with filled polygon 3D graphics, physics simulation, and a force-feedback steering wheel.
May, Sega releases Golden Axe, the first game in the Golden Axe series.
September, Atari Games releases S.T.U.N. Runner in arcades, a 3D polygonal vehicle combat/racing game

1990:

Bonk's Adventure is released for NEC's TurboGrafx-16 and is the first US appearance of Bonk, the mascot of the TurboGrafx-16.
Namco releases Kyuukai Douchuuki, World Stadium '90, Final Lap 2, Pistol Daimyo no Bouken, which is a spin-off from Berabow Man, Souko Ban Deluxe, Dragon Saber, Rolling Thunder 2, Steel Gunner and Golly! Ghost!.
February 12, Nintendo releases the NES game Super Mario Bros. 3 in North America. It sells 17.28 million copies, making it one of the best-selling stand-alone video games of all time.
April, Konami releases Snake's Revenge, a sequel to Metal Gear for the Nintendo Entertainment System in North America, developed without the involvement of Hideo Kojima.
April, Williams releases Smash TV in arcades, a twin-stick shooter about an ultra-violent game show.
April 20, Nintendo releases Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light in Japan, innovating the tactical role-playing genre.
June 1, Origin releases Ultima VI: The False Prophet
July 12, Nintendo of America publishes Final Fantasy for the Nintendo Entertainment System in North America. This game started Square's popular and long-running Final Fantasy series.
July 20, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for the MSX2 computer, is released exclusively in Japan. It is Konami's last major game for the hardware.
July 27, Nintendo releases Dr. Mario for 3 Nintendo platforms.
August, Pit Fighter from Atari Games introduces digitized sprites to arcade fighting games.
September 26 Origin releases the first Wing Commander game.
September 28 Capcom releases Mega Man 3 for NES in Japan, introducing the characters Rush and Proto Man, Mega Man's slide is introduced, and Capcom's character cameos.
November 9, Sierra On-Line releases King's Quest V.
October 15 LucasArts releases The Secret of Monkey Island
November 1 – Mega Man 3 is released in the US.
November 21, Nintendo releases Super Mario World and F-Zero in Japan as launch titles for the Super Famicom. Super Mario World introduced Yoshi and F-Zero introduced Captain Falcon.
December 14, Commander Keen is released as shareware, the first major platformer on a PC.
Sega releases the G-LOC: Air Battle R-360 arcade game, featuring the first 3D – 360° gameplay that physically rotated the real world player.
Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon, the first of the "Tycoon" games, is released by MicroProse.
Infogrames releases Alpha Waves, the first 3D platform game.[1]
Mindscape publishes Captive.
Konami releases Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles The Arcade Game, on the Nintendo Entertainment System.

Last edited by skyzoo73; 01 December 2019 at 12:03.
Old 01 December 2019, 20:25   #375
nobody

I have one that is much better than all games listed here. Duck tales NES, the grandfather of shovel knight. Probably would get you into lots of trouble (Disney, capcom).
Old 01 December 2019, 20:49   #376
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I vote for Samantha Fox Strip Poker, keeping it real.
Old 01 December 2019, 20:55   #377
DamienD
Banned

Well, I absolutely love the arcade game Willow by Capcom and can finish it in one credit

I was sooooo hoping that when the Amiga version got released it was a port of this; instead we got this rubbish: Willow
Old 01 December 2019, 23:47   #378
d4rk3lf

Oh yeah - Splatterhouse!
I am still freaked out, by them worms.

It would be a great port for Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Amiga 500 version would be amazing.
As far as I am concerned, the background don't need to be animated at all (or maybe very little ), but really... doesn't matter that much.
Old 02 December 2019, 12:25   #379
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I voted for Shinobi. I believe a much better Amiga version is possible. Even with cut backs, it could still retain the spirit of the original, like the C64 managed to do. Personally, I'd only be interested in seeing it on A500 or non AGA Amigas.
Old 02 December 2019, 14:28   #380
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
I voted for Shinobi. I believe a much better Amiga version is possible. Even with cut backs, it could still retain the spirit of the original, like the C64 managed to do. Personally, I'd only be interested in seeing it on A500 or non AGA Amigas.
Shinobi like the CPC version you mean ?