English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 18 March 2010, 05:10   #1
SunChild
EAB Noobie

EAB's FTP restriction/management...

As a noob here, I've came to wonder 2 things about the FTP:

1- The way I understand it, many interesting things are constantly added to the Zone by members, then are archived in the FTP, right? Now I often see files that would interest me but just don't always have time to go fish for them in the Zone/FTP. Leaves me anxious to know wether everything is archived for good (in which case I don't need worry as I can still go get any stuff later when I have more time available obviously), or are files only left available in the FTP for a limited amount of time (like, older files being deleted after a certain time, or whatever other criteria being applied to regularly make space...)?

2- As you may have gathered from the 1st question, I'm a true download maniac and dedicated to collect all Amiga-related stuff I can put my mouse pointer on (to each his own kind of neurosis, right?). I will usually mass-download anything if I don't have it yet, and I admit I did just that once already last year, sucking up the whole of EAB's FTP via FileZilla. Now I'm not a dumb leecher without any regard to any policy whatsoever, and though I shamefully didn't think about asking at the time, I'm now pondering wether that's an accepted behaviour officially?
I supposed it's alright since not putting any real load on the server (I download one file at a time with FileZilla. The only thing posibly problematic here would be that it's non-stop download for a rather long period -- several days). So, please tell me if mass-downloading the whole FTP is considered ok or unacceptable (in which case please also tell me for what reasons if possible -- I'm willing to follow any rules, but only once I could ensure on my own they are proper making-sense rules, hehehe! ^^ Excuse that last comment, only revealing of my silly upbringing as a french man ! Questioning and challenging laws/rules is kind of a national hobby in my home country you know).

Please enlighten me...

(PS. I just couldn't figure a better place for posting this, I hope I made the suitable choice)
Old 18 March 2010, 09:04   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

First of all there is no FTP, but a file server (the FTP part is for uploading only). I'm not uploading all stuff the is put in the zone here, but rather files that get requested several times. Also if you want to leech everything from the file server you are clearly on your own. I had the same request before and the file server should be a resource if you need anything, but not a 'hey look, new romzorz!' kind of thing.
Bottom line is that I don't think that Magix minds if someone leeches everything, but please don't expect any 'help' either
Old 18 March 2010, 10:15   #3
Retro1234
Phone Homer

There seems to be a few new members who only intrest is get files from te file server.
Old 18 March 2010, 10:33   #4
SunChild
EAB Noobie

Right, so here's the explanation: I actually don't have any FTP access (except of course for uploading like everyone else), since as you pointed out there's none anymore. I was in fact refering to the old one (cf. I mirrored the FTP more than 1 year ago), when I believe everybody could still access it to download, with some public login/pass... My bad for not checking again before asking my question.

Mmmmh, and as for the fact that stuff in the Zone are not archived systematically, then how long do they remain available before being deleted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
There seems to be a few new members who only intrest is get files from te file server.
Well, that's not my sole interest here myself, as I consult the forum regularly. I just don't post much because I'm usually pretty busy (working in a private company in Japan is some serious business I can tell you and you get very little free time for anything) but I enjoy reading many threads and gathering lots of news and interesting trivias/infos in here...
Old 18 March 2010, 10:38   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChild View Post
Mmmmh, and as for the fact that stuff in the Zone are not archived systematically, then how long do they remain available before being deleted?
21 days. This was recently increased from 7 days by RCK.