English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Maptapper

Old 11 September 2013, 21:40   #21
clenched

Ork maps are done. Also a little map of Gamer that just showed up. That's just in case it qualifies for a HOL entry. The crooked chains on the chandeliers look that way in the game too.

Last edited by clenched; 02 October 2013 at 20:19.
Old 26 September 2013, 19:58   #22
clenched

SOTB3 maps are done.

Last edited by clenched; 02 October 2013 at 20:19.
Old 26 September 2013, 20:07   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ork and SotB3 maps added Thank you very much

I really need to add Platon and Gamer I'll try to add them soon...
Old 26 September 2013, 20:09   #24
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Thanks, especially for bothering yourself with the attract mode map .

I have a quick question before adding them. I noticed on the map for Level 1 a right-angled triangle (at the leftmost part of the row of tree at the top).
Is it normal? Perhaps the place where the winged boss spawns? Or something that displays an out of boundary message?

I don't remember seeing that, although I don't think I ever went that far there (same thing for the longplay I checked to refresh my memory:
[ Show youtube player ]
boss encounter near 05:45)

Edit: Ah TCD added it first. My question remains though.
Old 26 September 2013, 20:47   #25
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Very interesting about SOTB3. This game use up to 57 colors on the front backdrop.
this means that with the background and the sprites, this game is 64 colors (without counting the copper gradient). Cool !
Old 26 September 2013, 21:37   #26
clenched

TCD - Just for the record Gamer doesn't keep a score and the hero can't be hurt so it is just tossed over to HOL to decide.

lilalurl - Yes, That is one of the first things I spotted. Even went past the winged boss to look and the triangle is there. I was using the PAL SPS disks for these maps. If an error doesn't look too bad I try to keep hands off. Something that just looks silly like in the sample shot then it's time to rip enough graphics so the picture will make sense. In this case the winch (sprite) and the platform chain mechanism (all bobs) had to be ripped too.

Captain - This game was the most nuisance of any so far. The palette and tile set could change from screen to screen and sometimes even on the same screen. Look how wrong the colors are at first. Thanks to Codetapper adding the ability to step through the copper list. Otherwise it would take a week to paint the correct colors and another month to fix the mistakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MTSB3.png
Views:	560
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	36948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Triangle.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	36950  

Last edited by clenched; 27 September 2013 at 01:18. Reason: Add shot: Triangle area on NTSC game from a Powercopy master made by the Captain.
Old 26 September 2013, 22:18   #27
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Well that's weird. Thanks for explaining and having even checked in-game

I guess this triangle will remain a mystery anyway as I doubt it is a sort of easter egg (like the dopefish). Probably a marker for something forgotten or planned and not implemented.
Old 27 September 2013, 23:26   #28
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by clenched View Post
TCD - Just for the record Gamer doesn't keep a score and the hero can't be hurt so it is just tossed over to HOL to decide.

lilalurl - Yes, That is one of the first things I spotted. Even went past the winged boss to look and the triangle is there. I was using the PAL SPS disks for these maps. If an error doesn't look too bad I try to keep hands off. Something that just looks silly like in the sample shot then it's time to rip enough graphics so the picture will make sense. In this case the winch (sprite) and the platform chain mechanism (all bobs) had to be ripped too.

Captain - This game was the most nuisance of any so far. The palette and tile set could change from screen to screen and sometimes even on the same screen. Look how wrong the colors are at first. Thanks to Codetapper adding the ability to step through the copper list. Otherwise it would take a week to paint the correct colors and another month to fix the mistakes.
ok.... so this would explain that the amiga can finally do dynamic palette change andd tiles like the coin-op machines..... Very interesting !!! Maybe Codetapper could enlight us on the sotb3 inner workings ?
Old 28 September 2013, 09:58   #29
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
ok.... so this would explain that the amiga can finally do dynamic palette change andd tiles like the coin-op machines..... Very interesting !!! Maybe Codetapper could enlight us on the sotb3 inner workings ?
I haven't really looked too closely but Beast 3 is a dual playfield game, sprite tricks create the small parallax section, player and overlays (and the parallax layer is always above the player - if the player jumps, the front layer scrolls around to simulate the jumping movement).

Other than that, there's nothing particularly special. If you want to change palettes from one section to another, you have to have the stuff with the new palette at least a screen width apart (horizontally) - vertically it's trivial with the copper to change the palette. You have to be very careful about the exact time you switch the palette, otherwise you'd walk into an area and the tiles would visibly change colour.

If it's using different tilesets, there's probably a high bit set or something that tells the game to use an alternate set of tiles.

If you really want an in-depth analysis of this one I'll add it to my list to do at some point.

Update: I just took another look at the game, and the way the mountain range has been done is actually quite interesting. I didn't even notice at first but there's actually 2 parallax layers of mountains in the background. Albeit very small! There's a 13 pixel high strip which has the second mountain range in it (repeated every 32 pixels), and game pre-calculates all 32 combinations and blits the relevant one into the sprite structure. I will do a proper write-up on this!

Last edited by Codetapper; 28 September 2013 at 10:53. Reason: Further analysis of how the mountain range double parallax layer was done
Old 02 October 2013, 19:41   #30
clenched

This question goes out to any moderator that knows. The "link to map" URLs throughout this thread don't work anymore. The top line is what was pasted into the insert link box. All of a sudden all the links tested have morphed into the bottom line. Clicking them gives me 404 error.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=897359&postcount=13
http://eab.abime.net/897359-post13.html

Last edited by clenched; 02 October 2013 at 20:29.
Old 02 October 2013, 19:58   #31
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Here's the explanation why: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=194
Unless RCK plans to automatically update those links (which I doubt), I'm afraid only manually updating them to the 'new old' style works.
Old 02 October 2013, 20:17   #32
clenched

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Here's the explanation why: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=194
Unless RCK plans to automatically update those links (which I doubt), I'm afraid only manually updating them to the 'new old' style works.
Ok. Thanks. I think I'll switch to using the Zone exclusively then.
Old 12 October 2013, 01:39   #33
clenched

Maps for Netherworld (Amiga) and Barbarian II (the one from Psygnosis) in the Zone.
Old 12 October 2013, 08:49   #34
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you very much once again and they are online
Old 27 October 2013, 00:27   #35
clenched

Eek Halloween maps

Three (3) game maps Zoned: Astaroth, Ghost Battle, Ghosts 'N Goblins.
Old 21 February 2014, 07:57   #36
clenched

Map for The Game Machine AGA (unreleased) in the Zone. Just a short spring training Maptapper session.
Old 21 February 2014, 10:11   #37
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Thanks, clenched. I've uploaded the map.
Old 13 May 2014, 16:35   #38
clenched

Game maps for Sword in the Zone.
Old 13 May 2014, 23:02   #39
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Thanks - the maps are online: http://hol.abime.net/2242/gamemap
Old 28 May 2014, 23:42   #40
clenched

Map for level one only of Wacuś The Detective in the Zone.