English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 December 2007, 09:00   #1
MickJT

uaenet.device help

(SOLVED, READ BELOW)

OK, so I have Miami Deluxe installed.

Vista 64bit here.

winpcap (latest beta) installed.. This works fine as windump works fine.
OpenVPN (latest beta) installed. (Edit: This wasn't required)

Bridging has been done. (Edit: Wasn't required)

So, now what? MiamiInit cannot find a default gateway. I try to manually type it in and it keeps prompting me to type one that is on the local network. Nothing works.

I try setting it up manually. I add the "hardware", pick the SANA-II driver uaenet.device unit 0, Query it, which works.

I make an interface called "UAE" and set it up, I leave "Internet" ticked (have tried without, too).. Set everything to DHCP, and try to go online and MiamiDx says it's unable to find the default gateway.

Entering in static IP's doesn't help either. MiamiPing gives me "ret=-1" errors.. bsdsocket emulation is disabled of course.

Oh by the way, none of this stuff about having to download OpenVPN ad bridge the connections is listed in the official WinUAE documentation, why is that? (Edit: again, wasn't required)

Last edited by MickJT; 29 December 2007 at 13:41. Reason: Avoid confusion
Old 27 December 2007, 09:19   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Check winuaelog.txt for unit numbers. uaenet.device unit 0 may not be your network card.

Quote:
Oh by the way, none of this stuff about having to download OpenVPN ad bridge the connections is listed in the official WinUAE documentation, why is that?
Because it is not needed. Just uninstall it. (it was changed to winpcap during betas)
Old 27 December 2007, 09:22   #3
MickJT

Yep, before I saw your post, I got a lot further.. So far infact, it found the default gateway, got an IP (and complained it couldn't resolve it and had to fallback to the IP for a hostname)..

I could ping google..

BUT, if I tried connecting anywhere, the connection would be dropped immediately.

Also, the PC side of the net totally drops out. In order to get it up again I have to restart the network adapter.
Old 27 December 2007, 09:27   #4
MickJT

OK, more info.

The PC side of the net doesn't drop out.. It does the exact same thing as WinUAE, the connections are reset as soon as they're made. However, pinging is ok.
Disabling the interface in Miami, brings the PC side of the net back up again.

I should mention I uninstalled OpenVPN before the last post.

winuaebootlog.txt doesn't show anything about unit numbers.. winuaelog (diff name) doesn't exist. Is this in betas only? (Edit: Found the option to enable the log)
Old 27 December 2007, 09:32   #5
MickJT

More information! The connections on the PC side are reset quickly, not immediately.. For example, half of the Google logo was loaded before the connection was reset. I think the same is happening on the Amiga side too.

Edit: SOLVED! It might have something to do with my router, but it was as simple as configuring the IP and Default Gateway manually. Having the IP a different one than the same one the PC uses fixed it. It appears my router gives the same IP address because WinUAE and the PC are using the same MAC address. Why it couldn't get the default gateway via DHCP when I set a static IP, I don't know.

Last edited by MickJT; 27 December 2007 at 10:12.
Old 28 December 2007, 08:51   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Easy solution: get another network card for Amiga use only?
Old 28 December 2007, 18:18   #7
MickJT

Nah I tested something else out though.

Another PC here is connected wireless to the net, to the same router (irrelevant but i'll say it anyway). It also has an Ethernet NIC, which is never used, until now!

I "shared" the Wireless NIC, which gave the Ethernet NIC an IP of 192.168.0.1 as you probably know.

I then disabled the wireless card on this PC, my main one. I hooked it up via Ethernet to the other PC. Now my PC has internet access with some 192.168.0.x IP.

I then fired up WinUAE, set everything to DHCP in MiamiDx and went Online. It all worked perfectly, and MiamiDx got it's own independent IP address as it should. The PC with the shared Wi-Fi NIC wasn't confused by it having the same MAC address, and gave it a new IP. I verified using MiamiIfConfig eth0.

2 things I want to say.

1) Perhaps state somewhere that some routers may get confused because the MAC is identical, and that the IP and Gateway will need to be set statically.

2) Did you know if you uninstall a network card driver, or install one, that winpcap doesn't see the changes until you reboot? If I have no NIC drivers installed, WinDump -D shows only the built-in "Tunnel" driver in Vista, then if I install the NIC drivers, WinDump -D reports the same thing, until I reboot.

Last edited by MickJT; 28 December 2007 at 18:19. Reason: Grammar
Old 30 December 2007, 16:01   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJT View Post
1) Perhaps state somewhere that some routers may get confused because the MAC is identical, and that the IP and Gateway will need to be set statically.
Not "some" routers. MAC address is the only thing that identifies the host.

Solutions:

1: Get another NIC
2: Static PC IP
3: Static Amiga IP

(Remember that I still don't do documentation)

Quote:
2) Did you know if you uninstall a network card driver, or install one, that winpcap doesn't see the changes until you reboot? If I have no NIC drivers installed, WinDump -D shows only the built-in "Tunnel" driver in Vista, then if I install the NIC drivers, WinDump -D reports the same thing, until I reboot.
Why should I care?
Old 30 December 2007, 21:13   #9
MickJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Not "some" routers. MAC address is the only thing that identifies the host.

Solutions:

1: Get another NIC
2: Static PC IP
3: Static Amiga IP

(Remember that I still don't do documentation)
What do you mean "Not "some" routers". Yes "some routers", mine. All of the Billion range routers, and they're not considered a crap brand either, infact they're high quality.

"Some routers", get confused, and if an IP address is already assigned to a MAC address, and that MAC address again asks for an IP, it'll give it the same one. Simple.

As you said, it's the only thing identifying the machine. The router has no reason to believe it's another machine, it'd just assume something has happened with the computer and needs to re-request the IP for some reason.
Old 30 December 2007, 21:22   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
What do you mean "Not "some" routers". Yes "some routers", mine. All of the Billion range routers, and they're not considered a crap brand either, infact they're high quality.

"Some routers", get confused, and if an IP address is already assigned to a MAC address, and that MAC address again asks for an IP, it'll give it the same one. Simple.

As you said, it's the only thing identifying the machine. The router has no reason to believe it's another machine, it'd just assume something has happened with the computer and needs to re-request the IP for some reason.
I mean all routers will get confused, not just "some"
(you can't have 2 IPs for same MAC via DHCP. It is impossible.)

ADDED: I never thought about this because I did all my tests with static IP in Windows side or with separate NIC.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 30 December 2007 at 21:44.
Old 01 January 2008, 16:00   #11
MickJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
(you can't have 2 IPs for same MAC via DHCP. It is impossible.)
Windows in-built ICS DHCP server handles it fine, as I posted above.

I guess it's against the specs, but not impossible.
Old 01 January 2008, 16:55   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Windows in-built ICS DHCP server handles it fine, as I posted above.
Where? Local server?
Old 01 January 2008, 20:21   #13
MickJT

Now you've confused me.. Where what?

7th post from the top describes what I did. Miami Deluxe got a 192.168.0.x IP separate from the PC. 2 PC's, 1 sharing the wifi connection, and the other PC connected to it and running WinUAE.