English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 March 2024, 10:37   #1
reflex

Amiga 4000 weird floppy device behavior

hello, yesterday i turned my amiga 4000 on and noticed that the floppy led stays always on, inserting a floppy gives no result, nothing is detected by AmigaOS.
i tried to check in early startup sequence and i gets on the devices connected 4 floppies named DF0, DF1, DF2, DF3 even though i just have 1 floppy drive connected to the internal interface.
Computer never had any acid leakage from the battery but has both PIO2 and 112MB hacks.

Every explanation/suggestion is welcome
Old 21 March 2024, 11:41   #2
nogginthenog
Amigan

The floppy led staying on could mean that the floppy cable connected the wrong way. Done any maintenance recently? The A4000 connector is not keyed so it's easy to do.
Old 21 March 2024, 14:13   #3
chiark
Needs a life

It could also mean it's the right way up, but shifted across by a column of pins. I had exactly this yesterday in my 3000.
Seeing four drives on the early startup is definitely odd though...
Old 21 March 2024, 17:55   #4
reflex

i made some maintenance e but the floppy was OK as far as i remember, seeing 4 drives is really odd indeed.... so i guesses some other kind of conflicts
Old 21 March 2024, 19:05   #5
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
i made some maintenance e but the floppy was OK as far as i remember, seeing 4 drives is really odd indeed.... so i guesses some other kind of conflicts
Hopefully, you have the original Chinon HD FLoppy fitted & this has just started to happen at random? - IE, you haven't had it to bits & re-fitted the cable incorrectly.

Just inside the front edge of the floppy drive, there are two micro switches.
One left & one right. - These drop into the holes on your Floppy Disks & denote either Writeable, write protected or HD. - Looking at the front of the Floppy Drive, the HD switch is to the right....

These switches get sticky & don't make contact after a while & will cause irregular Floppy drive chirps, drive light flashes & even DF0/1:?? errors on the workbench desktop.

Clean the switches with Air first, blow through a straw if you have to, ...but please don't dribble.

Flush switches with Isopropyl after de-dusting & make sure the rear of the drive is higher than the floppy slot/switch side so no fluid runs back into the drives mechanism.

If this doesn't work, then your HD Chinon has lost it's magic smoke & will need further investigation.

Good luck fella.
Old 22 March 2024, 07:02   #6
Jope
-

If all floppies are detected, then the ready signal is shorted to ground.

Potential easy things to rule out:
- Are the floppy cables all properly aligned on the pin headers on both ends?
-> check and fix
- The floppy cable might have separated inside and signal wires are shorting to adjacent ground wires.
-> try booting the machine with the floppy cable detached from the motherboard, see whether the ghost drives go away