English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 May 2013, 21:36   #1
fatboy

My A1200 rebirth!

After several years hidden away in my loft, a found a 'spare' A1200 (after selling my NOS AT A1200 a couple of years ago).

Its up and running,minus any HD. I'm putting in a 4GB CF HD soon, together with ClassicWB 68K Lite (good choice for 2 MB system).

I've set up an HDF in UAE, with 3 GB of WHD games and a few hundred meg of demo's. This doesn't leave much for Workbench, but I guess it's just going to be a gaming machine

At some point I might get the ACA 128 meg Memory card, or if I can afford one an ACA '030' card???

Anyway I'm just glad to get back on the 'real' thing.

Any advice on a 'simple' guide on setting up a CF card as an HD via WinUAE would be cool
Old 23 May 2013, 21:53   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi!

Glad to hear you're back up and running with a real Amiga, I can highly recommend the ACA cards, along with a nice Tutorial for setting up your CF card on my blog I wrote a couple or articles about the ACA's too

http://www.fitzstevesamigaworld.co.uk/?p=65

Have fun!
Old 17 June 2013, 14:49   #3
fatboy

UPDATE:
My A1200 is now up and running

So far I have it connected via a composite SCART lead (not great quality, but it will do for now).

I have a 4 GB CF HD, with a ton of software (Games, Demos, Apps & Music), so plenty to play with.

Next on the agenda, RGB SCART Lead, ACA 1220, New Keyboard and maybe CF adapter?

Possible future considerations: 3.1 Roms, Flicker Fixer, bigger HD, ACA 1232....but then it's all get just a bit too expensive for me
Old 17 June 2013, 17:35   #4
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
UPDATE:
My A1200 is now up and running

So far I have it connected via a composite SCART lead (not great quality, but it will do for now).

I have a 4 GB CF HD, with a ton of software (Games, Demos, Apps & Music), so plenty to play with.

Next on the agenda, RGB SCART Lead, ACA 1220, New Keyboard and maybe CF adapter?

Possible future considerations: 3.1 Roms, Flicker Fixer, bigger HD, ACA 1232....but then it's all get just a bit too expensive for me
it'll look so much better once you have the scart lead on there.

if you can manage go for the 030 from the off - once you're up and running you won't regret it. I've had lots of fun on my old machine since restoring and upgrading it. Be prepared to make some timing fixes though, with the ACA's. while you have the soldering iron out you may as well replace the capacitors too... Something i've been putting off doing on mine.

btw, AFAIK, You wont need to replace the roms if you have accellerator, as you can map any rom you like into the ACA.
Old 17 June 2013, 18:23   #5
fatboy

I didn't think the 1220 Memory/accelerator card was effected by the rev. 1D Mobo timing issues????

It's just a cost thing. I'm not into the Amiga 3D FPS type games, so don't really need the extra grunt. I'm running ClassicWB lite (OS3.0) and I actaully quite like it. It's pretty 'nippy' on my stock A1200

I use to have an AT A1200 with Blizzard '030' IV....and like a mug I sold it a couple of years ago, and YES I did regret it

Luckly I has a Spare Commodore A1200, so here I am again

Last edited by fatboy; 17 June 2013 at 18:33.
Old 17 June 2013, 20:18   #6
Steve T

I hear ya, its a struggle to fund the hobby for me too, and you've a lot of stuff to buy at this point. If you can possibly manage it, I think the faster accelerator opens things up just a bit more, Its not only about 3d games/apps but think of emulation - master system, cpc, speccy etc, great to emulate these on a crt TV friendly system, I think SCUMMVM will work OK on a half decent 030 too, though I haven't tried it yet.

As for timing fixes, I think you have one of the more stable board revisions (i have 2x 2b's and they both have issues) but apparently no revision is safe as they all have a mixed bag of components, as I understand it.