English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 21 December 2017, 14:14   #21
AmigaWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post

Something i wanted todo for a long time, but many failed attempts mainly due to cutting textures and levels out of the wad file to get it small enough to boot on a stock machine to no avail.

Now finally with the availability of more Fast-RAM expansion boards for the CD32 its time to release it in an uncut form, fully bootable on a CD32 console, that has 8MB of free Fast-RAM*

*Depending on your setup, it may require disabling of any IDE partitions if a HDD is attached as this will free up any Fast-RAM. (hold down both mice buttons on the reset of the CD32, disable all partitions and select 'boot' it should now load, this will reset back after a hard reboot of the console)

Controls:

Red = Shoot
Blue = Open Doors
Play = Pause/Menu
FWD = Strafe Right
RWD = Strafe Left

This version uses Doom Attack 0.8 (with Akiko C2P support for a nice speedup for CD32 users, sure i wont pretend its a miracle for CD32 owners, you will need to play in low-res mode and have the window about the size in the screenshot, even then it still struggles, but i feel if we had this back in 1994/5 we would have been happy with the port, so take it as it is and you will find something to enjoy running it on your CD32, pretty cool for a 14mhz machine!

Many thanks of course go to Georg Steger the author of Doom Attack.

Download is on the eab server "uploads/cd32" folder*

*Details for registering for access to the eab server.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633

Can't find Doom, do you have the full link please?

Thanks.

Already found it, here is the link so you do not need to look for it true a bunch op folders.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ThpSFRCVFRjckk

Last edited by AmigaWolf; 21 December 2017 at 14:21.
Old 29 December 2017, 15:24   #22
SteveUK

Hi AmigaJay
Awesome work! Longshot but is it possible to add CD Audio to the game?
- the 3DO soundtrack added would be awesome..!
Old 29 December 2017, 18:52   #23
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUK View Post
Hi AmigaJay
Awesome work! Longshot but is it possible to add CD Audio to the game?
- the 3DO soundtrack added would be awesome..!
Not without someone coding it into the gamecode (no idea if that part of the PC code is left it, you could always make up a cue file with any old cd track with the iso and test in winuae)
Old 08 March 2018, 08:36   #24
thairacer-jp

Hi , thanks for this nice release, Who Saïd That
The cd32 couldn’t do this ! Akiko do the job , anyway i have tried to put cue file with audio track but nothing works, this game had midi files , i converted to wav, i think it’s in the game setting code Things must be changed.Did audio track slow down the cpu ?
and is it possible to activate the fire gun on leyboard ?
cheers.
jean

Old 08 March 2018, 10:40   #25
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thairacer-jp View Post
Hi , thanks for this nice release, Who Saïd That
The cd32 couldn’t do this ! Akiko do the job , anyway i have tried to put cue file with audio track but nothing works, this game had midi files , i converted to wav, i think it’s in the game setting code Things must be changed.Did audio track slow down the cpu ?
and is it possible to activate the fire gun on leyboard ?
cheers.
jean
I turned music off in the stattup-sequence as it slowed the game down even more, so its not possible to add music in that way.

Not sure about keyboard commands i guess if the joypad is activated it defaults all controls to it.
Old 08 June 2018, 17:46   #26
wairnair

Thanks for this, it plays certainly great for 14mhz. Everything was about Doom in '93-'94, this would've been amazing to have back then.

There are 2 problems I see though, one is saving the game which it can't due to the CD and also you can't type a name with the pad. This can be solved by running straight from WB though.
Other is.. how do I change weapons with the pad? I also miss a 'run' button (shift originally).
Old 08 June 2018, 18:58   #27
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairnair View Post
Thanks for this, it plays certainly great for 14mhz. Everything was about Doom in '93-'94, this would've been amazing to have back then.

There are 2 problems I see though, one is saving the game which it can't due to the CD and also you can't type a name with the pad. This can be solved by running straight from WB though.
Other is.. how do I change weapons with the pad? I also miss a 'run' button (shift originally).
Yes its not perfect by any means, the author missed putting change weapons on the CD32 pad, so unless you have a keyboard its stuck im afraid.
Old 09 June 2018, 01:59   #28
redblade
Zone Friend

https://github.com/Olde-Skuul/doom3do
3do Doom source, based on the jaguar version. Found it while reading the comments of [ Show youtube player ] 3do longplay

https://github.com/Arc0re/jaguardoom
Open source is great.

But great work with the cd32 version and the design of the cd case. Is there a youtube video??

Last edited by redblade; 09 June 2018 at 02:28. Reason: Jaguar doom
Old 09 June 2018, 05:11   #29
Pyromania

YouTube video please.
Old 12 June 2018, 22:16   #30
thairacerjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
YouTube video please.
I made vidéo of this really good conversion
(In fact my tribute to the CD32!) doom
Vidéo start at 20 minutes.
Enjoy
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by thairacerjp; 12 June 2018 at 22:26.
Old 12 June 2018, 23:38   #31
Amigajay

What system you running on airracer? That looks much faster than a fastram equipped CD32.
Old 13 June 2018, 08:19   #32
thairacerjp

it's just my CD32 with TF328 and a indivision dvi output, no fake news lol ! it's nice speed I admit, playing from CD with high details.Akiko do the job
Old 13 June 2018, 08:41   #33
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thairacerjp View Post
it's just my CD32 with TF328 and a indivision dvi output, no fake news lol ! it's nice speed I admit, playing from CD with high details.Akiko do the job
Oh, its prob me then, testing so much with higher details and framerates, it does indeed look faster than actual framerate numbers suggest.

But im sure my version runs slower than that, will check again, maybe the ram on the TF328 makes quite a difference?
Old 16 June 2018, 11:52   #34
SKOLMAN_MWS

when we launch Doom from the disk, we can turn on CD music in the background without a CPU load.
Old 06 July 2018, 19:49   #35
gururise

This would have been amazing back in 93-94!! I remember envying all my friends with a PC and downloading every "Doom" tech demo on Aminet back in the day.
Old 08 December 2018, 13:40   #36
thairacerjp

for you Amigajay, a quick comparison of this game on the TF328 with & without music, the speed still ok ! (mod ad-on) with the doom attack AIO pack
can't wait for the TF330, it will be awesome ......
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by thairacerjp; 08 December 2018 at 14:03.
Old 08 December 2018, 18:04   #37
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by thairacerjp View Post
for you Amigajay, a quick comparison of this game on the TF328 with & without music, the speed still ok ! (mod ad-on) with the doom attack AIO pack
can't wait for the TF330, it will be awesome ......
[ Show youtube player ]
Yeah I'm also looking forward to playing this it on the TF330.

It'd need full joypad support though (run/change weapons) - and if running from CD some trick to make it save to hdd.
Old 08 December 2018, 20:32   #38
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Yes its not perfect by any means, the author missed putting change weapons on the CD32 pad, so unless you have a keyboard its stuck im afraid.
Actually I figured this one out. You can edit the ".doomrc" file and set joyb_weapon to "2". Here's the joyb section from my .doomrc file:

Code:
joyb_fire		0
joyb_strafe		1
joyb_use		3
joyb_speed		4
joyb_look		4
joyb_weapon		2
joyb_jump		4
joy_pad		1
joy_port		1
Then weapons can be cycled using the yellow button on the CD32 joypad.
What I couldn't figure out is how to remap the green button. It now displays the last message e.g. "you got the shotgun!" which is pretty much useless. It'd be great to map it to e.g. show/hide the map (which is Tab on the keyboard). 0=red, 1=shoulders to strafe (strange, why 1?), 2=yellow, 3=blue, 4=who knows? - not green. Also, there's no joyb option for toggling the map, so I guess this isn't doable unless someone can modify the code..

Saving: save game once using a keyboard (perhaps under winuae), then you can overwrite it with the joypad.

Not ideal, but it's fully playable using the joypad only.

Last edited by wairnair; 08 December 2018 at 20:48.
Old 09 December 2018, 10:56   #39
thairacerjp

thanks wairnair, i will give a try , with joypad (CD32 original) it's playable, if have tf328, with doom attack AIO gui interface, you can easyly change the control ! and music, i will try the midi music but i think this format will slow down the speed.
Old 09 January 2019, 09:59   #40
SHADE2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaWolf View Post

Can't find Doom, do you have the full link please?

Thanks.

Already found it, here is the link so you do not need to look for it true a bunch op folders.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ThpSFRCVFRjckk
Can't find Doom on google drive, do you have get the full link please?

Thanks.