English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 27 December 2006, 10:32   #21
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
Don't get me wrong Ultron-- I hate 'new amiga' and agree that OS 4.0 is a waste of time. However I'd like to run it on Pear PC just to say I've used it
Oh, i'd like it too. I was merely proposing reasons as to why that is likely not to happen - One of them is that AmigaOs4.0 actually hasn't been released. To the public. Like every other software. It actually hasn't been released, thus hard for it to be hacked (or the already participating would've done quite some time ago).
Old 27 December 2006, 10:47   #22
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW
PPC as a dying platform: Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony don't seem to agree with this statement
Perhaps i should've been a little more specific. The PPC as a desktop\laptop product. Sony's using a CELL and MS and Nintendo are using a custom made PPC designed solely for their consoles.

It was pretty clear that IBM didn't grant Apple any priority over what seems their main cash focus at this point, consoles, and that's one of the reasons that made Apple leave.

Now, if IBM can't accomodate Apple, well, i wonder what're the chances for a company that had to sell their furniture, their executives return to England after their greencards expired, and doesn't refund their 100$ coupons while "buying" "assets" in a third world country

And in this slightly more specific description, the PPC is dead as far as an explorable platform by an Amiga Desktop goes. If apple hadn't jump ship it'd probably be a viable possibility.
Old 27 December 2006, 17:00   #23
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron

Now, if IBM can't accomodate Apple, well, i wonder what're the chances for a company that had to sell their furniture, their executives return to England after their greencards expired, and doesn't refund their 100$ coupons while "buying" "assets" in a third world country

Now PJ is sharp, he'd agree, but you'll hurt the feelings of the faithful fanatics.
By the way you forgot to mention ol Billy had to sleep on his grandma's couch, so the poor old lady lost that in the big firesale too.
Old 27 December 2006, 17:39   #24
Retro1234
Phone Homer

........................................................................................
Top Consoles like the Ps3 use PPc Also they keep lower temps and work more effectly than *86 - Ppc are going to fill a gap of Advanced set top boxes

To run Os4 on PPc machines like old Macs The Custom Amiga Chips will need Emulation?

Id rather see it run on 68* and coldfusion

I am keen to see Os4 up and running but I not so
Quote:
fanatic
I think its direct compation for Ms or Mac!
Old 27 December 2006, 20:35   #25
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
Dude, have you tried running Mac OS on PearPC? Is it fast on your comp?
I know PearPC requires a pentium 4 at least.
I've run MacOS on my PC native. I know, shameful using hacked OSX, but I wanted to see if it was any good with a view to perhaps buying a cheap Intel Mac. I wish I could buy OSX off the shelf to run on x86 hardware, because I can't afford a decent Mac

The reason is that I have a PC here lying around which is fully compatible with OS X (similar hardware to a mac-mini only a bit more powerful)

Until then it's Windows and Linux, but neither satisfies the 'geek in me

What is it with people who want to see AmigaOS 4.0 running on 68k? Do you guys now remember how expensive 68k stuff actually is now? I'd say PPC is a better option. x86 an even better option.

Yes, you guys might have 68k beasts, but what penetration will an OS have if you have to buy your machine by scurrying around on e-Bay? There is no room for hobbyists in a commercial market.

Last edited by P-J; 27 December 2006 at 20:42.
Old 30 December 2006, 00:10   #26
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

I would love to get my hands on a copy of AOS4.

Preferably on x86, but on one of the PPC-alike consoles would be fine.

Will it EVER happen?

NO.
Old 30 December 2006, 16:13   #27
Retro1234
Phone Homer

~This Guy running Os4 on PPc A1200

http://www.intuitionbase.com/static....n_OS4_Classics
Old 30 December 2006, 21:53   #28
dambuster
Zone Friend

68K version should run on uae/coldfire based systems, from posts on this forum most users seem to have a winuae system. Far more than have a PPC amiga accell or AmigaOne.
Old 30 December 2006, 23:42   #29
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambuster
68K version should run on uae/coldfire based systems, from posts on this forum most users seem to have a winuae system. Far more than have a PPC amiga accell or AmigaOne.
68k OS4 version, where can I find it?
Old 31 December 2006, 01:33   #30
mihcael
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
MilkyTracker under MorphOS PowerUP on a classic Amiga 4000.
OS4Emu allows MilkyTracker's AmigaOS4 port to run under MorphOS - and also to my pleasant surprise, MorphOS PowerUP on my A4000.

Here I play a few tunes to show how well it works on the 233MHz Cyberstorm 604e. There's no extra sound card - just the builtin Paula chip in AHI's 14bit hifi mode.

Not bad considering MilkyTracker is aimed at faster processors on modern computers!
ok!
Old 31 December 2006, 14:54   #31
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW
PPC as a dying platform: Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony don't seem to agree with this statement
Consoles are a completely different market. Also these companies can afford it.

@Boo Boo

Keeping lower temps??? Hohoho are you serious? Xbox 360 is having cooling and overheating problems, and i know it first hand from a friend and my brother works on a videogame store and tell me that people are giving it back to the shop for change or refund for a new one. Also ps3 had some serious overheating problems during his presentation. Only the nintendo wii is the one that is well designed and/or cooled, because ther hasn't any problems with it.
PPC at higer speeds is way too much hotter than x86.
Old 01 January 2007, 12:46   #32
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Yeah thanks for that ThEcRoW but you have to ask your self with all the problems Ms-Xbox360 and Ps have had with Cpus they still choose PPC over x86? Even Bill him self knows that a custom PPc machine design for its needs will work better than a x86
Old 01 January 2007, 18:18   #33
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW
Consoles are a completely different market. Also these companies can afford it.

@Boo Boo

Keeping lower temps??? Hohoho are you serious? Xbox 360 is having cooling and overheating problems, and i know it first hand from a friend and my brother works on a videogame store and tell me that people are giving it back to the shop for change or refund for a new one. Also ps3 had some serious overheating problems during his presentation. Only the nintendo wii is the one that is well designed and/or cooled, because ther hasn't any problems with it.
PPC at higer speeds is way too much hotter than x86.
First, overheating is also a matter of cooling. If you cram a midend-PC into a box of XBox360 or PS3 dimension they`d overheat in a matter of minutes. Additionally the presentation were done using PS3s in enclosed space (to keep those nasty hands away), where should the heat go?

If you look at the market you see that x86 is just used where... well.. you need x86 compatibility. Settop boxes, arcade machines, consoles, etc, all use ARM, MIPS or PPC Processors (very few exceptions exist), exactly because they are more efficient and running cooler than x86.
Old 01 January 2007, 19:38   #34
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I think someone unmentioned deleted his post..you know, the guy who keeps saying he is leaving. It's gone now.
In any case, I think that the 37 people who own AmigaOnes are going to look forward to 2007, maybe Myst will finally be ported to OS 4.
Old 02 January 2007, 09:18   #35
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
The question is, how long till it's hacked to work on [insert PPC system here]?
Efika? I think that is about the only "new" PPC stuff out there.. but then again when I saw the CPU power compared to a modern PC or "intel" Mac its a joke...
Old 02 January 2007, 11:35   #36
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo
Yeah thanks for that ThEcRoW but you have to ask your self with all the problems Ms-Xbox360 and Ps have had with Cpus they still choose PPC over x86? Even Bill him self knows that a custom PPc machine design for its needs will work better than a x86
Funny that. My modded X-Box contains an Intel Mobile Celeron. Forgive me if I'm wrong but it was (and still is) a fairly popular console.
Old 03 January 2007, 19:56   #37
cv643d

So is FLT or Paradox going to release OS4 on the scene?
Old 03 January 2007, 20:24   #38
Photon

The Final Update? Like The Last Ninja?
Old 04 January 2007, 00:09   #39
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d
So is FLT or Paradox going to release OS4 on the scene?
with some hardware as well? Seriously tho.. what can run it that is actually available?
Old 04 January 2007, 00:19   #40
cv643d

I dunno but it would be great if an old school cracking group would release it, just like the good old days, fierce competition for the most sought after titles! :-) . However I think it is morally not so good. But wait 5 years, soon there will be PPC emulators so we can run OS4 on x86 I suspect.

But hardware should come now in the spring. But if it is to expensive it will flop I think.