English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 24 April 2016, 20:08   #1
markpjd
Games-Coffer

What was the first (largest) Amiga Download site?

Hi,

I remember Lazarus.. I remember it being slow? and then shut down!
Old 24 April 2016, 20:16   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I remember pe2000.net. Closed in 2002/2003.
Old 24 April 2016, 20:55   #3
mark_k

ab20.larc.nasa.gov maybe? The first Aminet CD-ROM has a snapshot of that.
Old 24 April 2016, 21:00   #4
happymondays

Lazarus was active in 1997, I clearly remember, but when did it start?
Old 24 April 2016, 21:19   #5
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Lazarus was probably the largest for it's time.
Old 24 April 2016, 21:34   #6
zipper

Long time (92 and on ) site for old Amiga stuff http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/amiga/
(and all kinds of other stuff, too)
Old 24 April 2016, 21:41   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

TOGA
Old 25 April 2016, 08:57   #8
vulture

plukwa ftp

Last edited by vulture; 13 June 2017 at 13:09.
Old 25 April 2016, 10:18   #9
DamienD
Banned

PlanetEmu and EmuChina (though both had arcade / other computers / consoles also so not strictly Amiga).
Old 26 April 2016, 03:18   #10
markpjd
Games-Coffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Good old fashioned 90's website design. To the point, easy to use and not a million and one ad's trying to load at the same time - crashing the browser.
Old 26 April 2016, 03:40   #11
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
Long time (92 and on ) site for old Amiga stuff http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/amiga/
(and all kinds of other stuff, too)
I do remember back in college I used to download from a site that ended in .fi.
That was probably it.. funet.fi sounds familiar.. (for some reason tut.fi sounds familiar too, but it's been years.....)

desiv
Old 26 April 2016, 09:51   #12
zipper

Yep, university servers.
Old 12 May 2016, 02:53   #13
Lucidphreak

A bbs in dallas that I used to be on... Some major courier group.. I almost want to say razor but I dont think they were amiga - but it was someone of equal size..
Old 12 May 2016, 15:09   #14
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
But no Disk of the Month for a while now....

Old 13 May 2016, 01:03   #15
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
But no Disk of the Month for a while now....

Maybe, but the thread title is "What was the first (largest) Amiga Download site?"
Old 13 May 2016, 02:56   #16
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Lazarus was probably the largest for it's time.
OFF-TOPIC ALERT: Just a bit of history about LAZARUS while I'm in a reminiscing mood. For those who don't care, you can skip this reply ;-)

When we launched LAZARUS in July of 1997 (almost nineteen years ago!) we made a deliberate, conscious decision to aim the site at users of Amiga emulators on other platforms, rather than current owners of Amiga hardware. This was purely a reflection of my own circumstances, having been an Amiga user from 1988-1996, suddenly struck by a bout of nostalgia thanks to the emergence of UAE/WinUAE/DOSUAE/Fellow, etc.

It was never intended for LAZARUS to become the notorious, infamous, unwieldy behemoth that took over my life for eighteen memorable months; we merely wanted to collect a load of old, long presumed-dead Amiga stuff before it was lost forever, in order to share it with everyone else. WoS was already doing it for the ZX Spectrum, while C64 fans had Arnold. With the internet still in its infancy back then, we wondered whether there'd be any real interest. Little did we know just how many hundreds of thousands of Amiga fans would flock to the site in order to help, heckle and hinder our efforts.

LAZARUS only happened thanks to a miracle combination of perfect timing, chance meetings and pure luck. The three of us had a lot of time on our hands back then, each with the requisite and complementary skills necessary to get the thing started. The site was hosted by a start-up ISP operated by an Amiga fan, so we were able to dodge the usual "cease and desist" flack that was common at the time, with more serious communication sent directly for us to deal with while the site remained up. We felt untouchable. For a while at least.

The initial support for LAZARUS was phenomenal, as word started to spread, leading to astonishing traffic. Bearing in mind our goal was simply to gather together all of those ancient but important Amiga touchstones for all to access, within weeks we had become the number one bandwidth-busting definitive destination for anyone wishing to feed their Amiga emulator. Such was the ready supply of freshly-prepared adfs, submitted around-the-clock by our dedicated team of archivists, exclusively for LAZARUS, our ever-swelling downloads sections became an addiction for many. Too many as it would turn out.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, LAZARUS eventually bowed out in January 1999. Its legacy? Many of the files in your Amiga TOSEC installation originated as uploads to LAZARUS. Of course, if we hadn't have been around to organise it, someone else would have eventually staged a similar effort - indeed, by the time LAZARUS breathed its last, we were just one Amiga emulation site amongst many others. Was LAZARUS pioneering? We had no particular expectations when we launched the site nineteen years ago. We just hoped it would be "popular" and would yield the ancient lost Amiga software we sought.

On its death, the LAZARUS ceremonial torch was officially passed to our friend Bobic at Back To The Roots. He shared our vision and LAZARUS was his inspiration. We warned him to expect hate mail and death threats from current Amiga owners, who would enevitably brand his project (like ours) as a "warez site". We handed over our (private) database of sanctions and agreements from enthusiastic, well-known authors and publishers for downloads, so he could continue our (private) mission of seeking and gaining permissions.

But anyway. It was only a website. Big deal. Nevertheless, it's clearly regarded with fondness by some. One day, I'll get around to finishing this Amiga Power-inspired retrospective (copy incorrect in various places):

http://www.radiofriendly.co.uk/laz2.pdf
http://www.radiofriendly.co.uk/laz1.pdf
Old 16 May 2016, 05:24   #17
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

I believe that Lazarus was the first Amiga download site, and I only got a couple of games there. It was later busted by the tossers at Gateway 2000 for carrying copyrighted Kickstart ROMs, and the IDSA decided to finish them off.
Old 16 May 2016, 06:33   #18
kingpin007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidphreak View Post
A bbs in dallas that I used to be on... Some major courier group.. I almost want to say razor but I dont think they were amiga - but it was someone of equal size..
The Castle bbs was Razor 1911 first BBS, located in Texas and open since september 1989... it was amiga and pc
Old 16 May 2016, 22:04   #19
markpjd
Games-Coffer

Thanks for the insight, Mark. I enjoyed reading about the history of the site.

Myself and my friend James at the time interacted with Martijn at WoS quite regularly trying to locate companies and individuals regarding licences for games.

Copyright is a mine field though. Even to this day, a lot companies want to protect their old titles, or they have been lost among the continuous run of acquisitions in to one or more companies.
Old 16 May 2016, 22:08   #20
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Oh I remember leaching off Lazarus during college in Brighton... Anyway, the Dream Zone was another big resource, even if less well known