English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 23 June 2002, 22:12   #1
Marcuz

Hooooo EoB2 - Swords of Dawn - DataDisk

I've found this strange entry df a data disk for Eye of the Beholder 2 in Emuchina tosec. :bounce

after downloaded it i noticed that many files were corrupted and the Install feature does'not function.
I've tried to copy the files manually, some of them replace the original ones, but the whole thing hang up when loads the char gen screen.
Does someone have a better copy of it or a Eob2-hd complete of it?
...and/or knows what was involved in the dd anyway?
Tks
Old 23 June 2002, 22:27   #2
oldpx

Strange. I've never heard of it though I have it. I'll try to upload it with my puny bandwidth

Does anyone know what this is all about?

Old 24 June 2002, 06:16   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, I had it, too, but I can't say I have heard of it, either. Maybe it's a fake? At any rate, AmiSectorOne's A-Compendiums says this:
Quote:
Eye of the Beholder 2 - Swords of Dawn Datadisk by SSI / Westwood released in 199?. Further Information: Disk(s), Language En
Code by ; Graphics by ; Music and Sound by
Configuration: WinECS
I didn't find any other reference to this disk.
Old 24 June 2002, 14:05   #4
Marcuz

I've cleaned the files corrupted with fixdisk and i've made a manual install/copy in the HDdir of eob2: some files i think they were the same of the originals except 5 "DAWNFOREST" files and a "LEVEL5.smthing".
Neither i'm sure that all went right: i've preserved the original files when they were the same lenght of the ones of the datadisk.

I've started the game and when i've entered the temple, the game was facing me the same forest instead of the interiors, except that the wolwes were using the soundset of the clerics of darkmoon!

So if this is'nt a fake, the use of the install executable is needed, but WBench does'nt allow me that:failed retourcode or something like that.
@ burseg: thank you for your upload, but the file, even if the tosec name is different, is the same and it has the same corrupted files

thx for the listening guys, but i think i can't get anything else out of that disk
Old 28 August 2003, 15:17   #5
Marcuz

I was playing again the eob serie the other day and i thought to refresh the question about the data disk.
some of the recently acquired members knows about it?
Old 28 August 2003, 19:08   #6
Peanutuk

Never heard of it myself. Perhaps it is a PD job?
Old 28 August 2003, 20:31   #7
Marcuz

it is tosecized as
Eye of the Beholder II - Swords of Dawn (1992)(SSI)[h X-Trade][data disk].adf
Old 30 August 2003, 10:11   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Maybe this was a PC data disk and someone just tried to make it work with the Amiga?
Old 30 August 2003, 11:59   #9
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Thumbs down

Swords of Dawn is not official. It wasn't a PC data disk or an Amiga data disk. I'm sure of this as I own both. It certainly wasn't made by Westwood Studios. This has to be some sort of dodgy hack job and shouldn't really be in tosec.
Old 18 September 2004, 00:42   #10
Solo Kazuki

Floppy disk Eye of the Beholder II Data disk?

I have disk image with not working (I don't know why? Probably because image is from disk with "checksum error") data disk to EoBII. It's called "Swords of Dawn" and it's probably unofficial data disk. Is there anybody who have this data installed? Or have working version of data disk?
I attach this image. If somebody run this image (with or without problems), let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Eye of the Beholder II - Swords of Dawn.zip (633.9 KB, 296 views)
Old 18 September 2004, 00:47   #11
Peanutuk

I think that someone has mentioned this before back in the gloomy memories of the EAB. Was it surmised that is was a PC only disk? Or as you say an unofficial disk.

Do a search of the EAB and have a look.

I'd certainly also be interested if there is a official disk of this game.
Old 18 September 2004, 00:58   #12
Solo Kazuki

> I think that someone has mentioned this before back in the gloomy memories of the EAB.
>Was it surmised that is was a PC only disk?

I'm sure that it's not "PC Only" disk. It's bootable AmigaDOS disk with startup-sequence. Moreover, when you run disk, there's info to run this disk under WB. Saddly main file is not Amiga executable... but it's not MS-DOS/Win executable (it's probably damaged... or it's hoax)!

> Or as you say an unofficial disk.

So, there's still question who have this unofficial data installed succesfully.
Old 18 September 2004, 01:09   #13
Solo Kazuki

Note: I just read first topic about this disk. But there is still question about working version (i think)... if there is any working version, of course.
Old 18 September 2004, 01:28   #14
Marcuz

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ht=swords+dawn
Old 02 August 2009, 14:15   #15
Marcuz

i've checked the CPS files of this disk with Vairn utility; all of them had simply the same graphics of the original game under a different name.
namely, the forest surrounding the darkmoon temple (dawnforest.cps) and the original title screen (swords.cps).

there is some different content in the INF files (of course: they call for other files that are now under different names)

i could not check the actual maze files to see if there were modifications in the dungeon structure, but even so i think that, at best, it was a botched tentative to add maybe some very minor tweak (maybe a weapon or something like that; i'm pretty sure there wasn't modifications in the palettes either) that failed due to some error in the implementation.

i don't think that the 2 broken Khelben.cps files contained different data from the original ones either.

of course one could even bother to try to make the installer work, but i tend to think this was simply a fake and that it never worked.

Last edited by Marcuz; 02 August 2009 at 14:21.
Old 02 August 2009, 14:36   #16
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Yes it's a hack. Don't bother with this. I even remember than there should be a virus on this disk too.
Old 05 August 2009, 12:42   #17
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
i've checked the CPS files of this disk with Vairn utility; all of them had simply the same graphics of the original game under a different name.
namely, the forest surrounding the darkmoon temple (dawnforest.cps) and the original title screen (swords.cps).

there is some different content in the INF files (of course: they call for other files that are now under different names)

i could not check the actual maze files to see if there were modifications in the dungeon structure, but even so i think that, at best, it was a botched tentative to add maybe some very minor tweak (maybe a weapon or something like that; i'm pretty sure there wasn't modifications in the palettes either) that failed due to some error in the implementation.

i don't think that the 2 broken Khelben.cps files contained different data from the original ones either.

of course one could even bother to try to make the installer work, but i tend to think this was simply a fake and that it never worked.
I rebuilded this "installer" some years ago, and this is simply fake, made by any unknown/stupid group/person. If I remember right "installer" is any Workbench command.

Here is the link to rebuilded "Install":
http://wt.exotica.org.uk/files/Install

Last edited by Don_Adan; 06 August 2009 at 15:31.
Old 05 August 2009, 12:50   #18
Marcuz

well then this is final, thanks for the confirmation!

can also please a global mod merge this other thread with this?
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=15247
Old 05 August 2009, 13:09   #19
Marcuz

Thanks Graham!