English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 24 November 2015, 17:10   #1
-Acid-

Palette and icon questions

After a bit mucking around I finally figured out how to get the palette from CWB on my own Workbench install (using FullPalette). But I also want to apply this palette to Dopus5 but when I open the window the drive icons have a green and blue palette, how do I fix this?

Also in CWB when you open up a device on the main Workbench screen and all the icons are showing, when you drag the slider the icons slide immediately on screen instead of waiting until you let go of the slider. What patch or tool do I need to install to apply this myself to a normal Workbench 3?

Finally i'm going to want to also have the menu that pops up when you press the right mouse button on Workbench, I will probably just look at what tool CWB is using for this later tonight but if anyone can tell me for sure now that would also be of help

Thanks for reading/answering!
Old 25 November 2015, 14:03   #2
daxb

With FullPalette you can lock colors. If they aren`t they can be changed by various programs. If all colors are locked DOpus5 can only use these colors.

Icons are drawn with a special palette. To be shown correct all these colors need to be there (available). If not similar colors are used but that may look bad.

There are several patches that let scroll icons in realtime. MCP has one. Opaque or similar named. DOpus5 has a switch in the enviroument settings. Realtime icon scrolling is very slow, so only an eye candy.

With MagicMenu you can popup menus wiht right mouse button but I`m not sure if you mean that.
Old 25 November 2015, 17:03   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Icons are drawn with a special palette. To be shown correct all these colors need to be there (available). If not similar colors are used but that may look bad.
Actually traditional icons (WB 3.1, MagicWB) don't care about colors. They just use the first few pens of the screen, no matter which color they have.

Pens 0 though 3 are always locked and can be set in Palette prefs. Pens 4 through 7 (for MagicWB) have to be locked by some kind of daemon. That's where FullPalette comes into play if you don't want to use MagicWB-Daemon.

In case of different screens it depends on how the daemon works. I suppose that MagicWB-Daemon only works on the Workbench screen. I am not sure about FullPalette, but I think it can be configured to handle other screens, too.

NewIcons or OS 3.5+ icons work differently. They indeed store colors and use pens which best match the colors. But they might have problems with different screen, too. I think newicons.library does not care about screens, it always handles the Workbench screen only. On another screen icons would look ugly unless they copy (and lock) the palette from Workbench.

In OS 3.5+ you have to supply a screen pointer when opening an icon file, so there colors are not a problem on other screens. If you don't supply a screen pointer, you only get a four-colored icon (which looks ugly, too, but for other reasons).
Old 25 November 2015, 17:47   #4
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Actually traditional icons (WB 3.1, MagicWB) don't care about colors. They just use the first few pens of the screen, no matter which color they have.

Pens 0 though 3 are always locked and can be set in Palette prefs. Pens 4 through 7 (for MagicWB) have to be locked by some kind of daemon. That's where FullPalette comes into play if you don't want to use MagicWB-Daemon.
Thanks for clarification. At least on my system MagicWB icons use pen 0-2, 5, 12-15 from a 16 color (all locked with FullPalette) palette. I don`t know why. Maybe there exists different kind of MagicWB icons?
Old 25 November 2015, 19:41   #5
thomas

Maybe the numbers you see are not pen numbers. Icon images are stored as bitplanes. Standard icons use two bitplanes, MagicWB icons use three bitplanes.

With two bitplanes you can select pens 0 - 3, with three bitplanes pens 0 - 7. It is impossible to reach other pen numbers with this amount of bitplanes.

Well, one could hack the PlanePick and PlaneOnOff fields of the embedded Image structure, but I doubt that Workbench can deal with this, especially if you have a WBPattern set up.