English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 March 2016, 20:46   #561
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I also did not question the usefulness of these motherboards. I questioned the size of the market/possible sales figure you seem to have so much faith on with no backing real information. I guess I am not a man of faith, rather of facts. And without facts, this discussion turns into speculation and fan-fueled fiction.

My attitude wasn't negative. I rather have Jens stay active and making stuff for us in a sustainable way than him doing something that drives his efforts to the ground because of a mis-calculation of demand. Then again, he knows what he is doing, and I doubt he'd do that. At worst, a small run of new motherboards might appear at some point.
@akira you said you read the Reloaded Wiki, It is explained there that they will first make a prototype Q1 2016, then take binding pre-orders to find out actual demand *before* any actual manufacturing is done. Only reason to do so is to minimize the risk. I'm sure he'll decide not to produce the boards if he gets too few preorders to cover the costs.. so I don't think there is any reason to worry about that part.
I can only guess, but with the A1200 vampire around the corner and new cases being made as we speak, I wouldn't be surprised if the demand for 1200 mobos would be greater than for overpriced 030 accelerators. I for one am keeping my original A1200 with 060 card. I'm getting a case from Phil so now I actually need a new mono (got a spare keyboard for now...)

Or maybe I'm misreading you again?
Old 18 March 2016, 20:55   #562
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Well I didn't and I still don't want to, so please don't get me wrong. I was just pointing out how silly it is to demand facts.

Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
This Kickstarter (Philippe's) cases are perfect for Jens' new motherboards. So I hope he is still working on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Only they aren't because Jens already decided to support and go with the ones that haven't been made yet, not the french ones.
This is your reply that caused the misunderstanding. If you can not see why, then I'm sorry, I can not explain it any better.

Last edited by Lord Aga; 18 March 2016 at 21:01.
Old 18 March 2016, 23:52   #563
jediknight

wow this thread is hoting up , why is it most threads on this forum have arguments on cant people be nice?
Old 19 March 2016, 00:27   #564
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
wow this thread is hoting up , why is it most threads on this forum have arguments on cant people be nice?
I think most threads start off friendly and with good intentions, but then you have an interesting mix of ppl here, you have a lot of "Bernie Sanders's" and the occasional "Donald Trump". And that's usually when stuff goes off topic and goes into "lawyer mode". If you stick around for a while, you'll notice a "theme".

Sometimes a little help is needed to put things back on track again. Most will then remember we are all here because of our common interest in Amiga, not our "love" for arguing with some stranger on the net.
So.. the topic here is "New motherboards from Jens" : discuss... ;-)
Old 20 March 2016, 11:45   #565
grond

You guys need to considere that, once the vampire includes custom chip emulation, even malfunctioning amiga motherboards will do most of the time.
Old 20 March 2016, 13:16   #566
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
You guys need to considere that, once the vampire includes custom chip emulation, even malfunctioning amiga motherboards will do most of the time.
And even further ahead.. if and when a standalone system is released you might be able to put it inside an empty A1200 case :-)
Old 25 March 2016, 05:43   #567
Olecranon

You guys and your love for the wedge case I'll never understand.

You assume the Amiga became popular as a direct result of the aesthetic appearance of the wedge. The Amiga became popular because the wedge was a cheap and dirty way to reduce the price. Once the A500 hit that $595 USD price point in the states it became popular. I didn't know a single person back in the day that wanted an A500 over and A2000. IMO the A3000 was probably the sexiest Amiga.

Make the thing an ATX or mATX board with a PS2 keyboard adapter and call it a day. No mucking around with crowd sourced plastic cases and cannibalizing 30 year old keyboard.

Last edited by Olecranon; 25 March 2016 at 05:50.
Old 25 March 2016, 07:27   #568
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olecranon View Post

You assume the Amiga became popular as a direct result of the aesthetic appearance of the wedge. The Amiga became popular because the wedge was a cheap and dirty way to reduce the price. Once the A500 hit that $595 USD price point in the states it became popular. I didn't know a single person back in the day that wanted an A500 over and A2000. IMO the A3000 was probably the sexiest Amiga.

Make the thing an ATX or mATX board with a PS2 keyboard adapter and call it a day. No mucking around with crowd sourced plastic cases and cannibalizing 30 year old keyboard.
Well, the wedge Case carries a lot of nostalgia. Before the Amiga I had the c128. Ppl who were used to grey PC boxes probably felt more at home with something like the A2000.
Anyway, the pizza box is a stupid form factor these days when ppl use LCD screens. It made sense back then with giant CRTs filling your desk, now it's just very impractical.
Sure a mini ITX would be a nice size for a board, then it would fit in a bunch of different cases.
Just for the record, I did a mock up Natami case a while ago, seemed a couple of ppl liked the design 😄

Anyhoo, this is the thread about the mobo, rather than the case and that one is already set in stone, AFAIK.
Old 25 March 2016, 14:19   #569
turrican9

Quote:

I am one of those that think a basic Amiga 500 looks beautiful. No other Amiga looks especially good in my opinion, appart from the Amiga 1200 I kinda like. Cheap or not, Amiga 500 has always and is still looking sexy. I know a few other people that feel the same. It could be nostalgia reasons of course.
Old 25 March 2016, 19:39   #570
Omolungo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
I am one of those that think a basic Amiga 500 looks beautiful. No other Amiga looks especially good in my opinion, appart from the Amiga 1200 I kinda like. Cheap or not, Amiga 500 has always and is still looking sexy. I know a few other people that feel the same. It could be nostalgia reasons of course.
Also for me it's the same
Old 25 March 2016, 19:48   #571
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omolungo View Post
Also for me it's the same
I agree,
Although I like the A1200, there is something appealing about the A500. Especially a nice bright case with no yellowing looks extra sexy.
Old 27 March 2016, 00:01   #572
cv643d

Quote:

I would love to have a real genuine 68k (ie not HW emulated) Amiga motherboard in standard M-ATX format.
Old 27 March 2016, 15:22   #573
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
I would love to have a real genuine 68k (ie not HW emulated) Amiga motherboard in standard M-ATX format.
Even though it's been very quiet from Jens regarding this new mobo, I'm guessing we are way, waaaay beyond the point where we could wish for specific features and something as major as going for a completely different form factor probably never was planned at all. mATX 68k with "genuine Motorola cpu" most likely will never happen.

This is supposed to be a replacement mobo for A500 and A1200 users.
The CPU choice is yours to make too as the mobo has none. I will be disappointing if the V1200 Vampire won't work with this mobo because then you're left with the underpowered 030 cards from ICOMP or *some* overpriced 20+ years old 040/060 cards.(he certainly won't make any efforts to make sure anything except Blizzards will function out of the 3rd party accelerators).
Old 03 April 2016, 13:39   #574
Cylon

Jens let something slipped out in another forum:
"Delayed. Hope I'll get to the spec phase this summer."
Old 03 April 2016, 14:36   #575
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
Jens let something slipped out in another forum:
"Delayed. Hope I'll get to the spec phase this summer."
Bummer.. but based on the silence lately, not surprising..
Old 03 April 2016, 15:24   #576
kamelito
Zone Friend

Competition is tough in the Amiga land, things like FPGAArcade, Mist, Vampire etc. It seems to me that these devices are getting more traction say than the Chameleon64 and I don't even speak about the Commodore One. So I suppose that you can't afford low sales if you want to make a profit.
Kamelito
Old 03 April 2016, 15:30   #577
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Competition is tough in the Amiga land, things like FPGAArcade, Mist, Vampire etc. It seems to me that these devices are getting more traction say than the Chameleon64 and I don't even speak about the Commodore One. So I suppose that you can't afford low sales if you want to make a profit.
Kamelito
Yea.. however, atm the Vampire needs a host (motherboard) and the whole campaign was to be based on binding pre-orders, so risk should not be too bad.
If there are too few pre -orders, simply kill (or postpone) the project.
Anyhoo, delays are "nothing" in Amigaland.
Old 03 April 2016, 17:53   #578
Cylon

Delays doesn't mean anything. Jens is building ACAs while we speak so he is just too busy.
Old 03 April 2016, 18:33   #579
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Yup, a new batch of 030 cards. So new hardware is coming left and right
Old 03 April 2016, 21:14   #580
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Yup, a new batch of 030 cards. So new hardware is coming left and right
He's the business man, Im not, so hey... Whatever works for him, right? I'm actually happy for him if sales are ok. It means our scene is alive..
But Im curious, is he seeing an increased demand for 030 cards at the dawn of the Vampire era? With the Vamp selling in the 100s I imagined a bunch of old card s would find their way to the second hand market. (Noticed an increase in blizzard 1260 cards on amibay anyway :-)