English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 01 July 2003, 13:40   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Downloadable IPFs

I've upped a few of the games to the address:

REMOVED

I might change the games in the future, it's just so that other people can get there hands on these great games.

If the site offends anyway or the CAPS guys want me to take it down, just say.

Last edited by killergorilla; 01 July 2003 at 13:55.
Old 01 July 2003, 13:53   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Sorry, KG, CAPS doesn't want links to images posted in this forum...
Old 01 July 2003, 13:54   #3
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

not a problem. sorry.

I've removed it.
Old 01 July 2003, 14:03   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Thanks...
Old 01 July 2003, 14:45   #5
fiath

Yes, apart from obvious reasons, we would like it to remain a discussion/suggestion forum rather than attract a million-and-one leechers whos only question is mentioned near the top of the FAQ
Old 01 July 2003, 14:47   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

lol.

True. The Ftps are doing their jobs anyway.

Shame on me.
Old 25 August 2003, 03:59   #7
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
I am real sorry i been away a few months when caps was getting going but i still don't understand the point of the project i know i had things to say before but can someone PLZ tell me the point of CAPS it's like having a bunch of ferrari owners that get all your stuff and give nothing back except info on how they took ur engine to bits plz some enlighten me i have looked at the site!

This disk has that protection other has this protection so they get all the games and no one else does what is the point???

it's a preservation society who for themselves? i really am missing the point here but don't seem to be fair to anyone specially when this site is saying post no caps stuff would have a job since we can't get non!

I invite members of CAPS to put me straight on this point etc i not been nasty or anything just want to know what the idea is i mean like they say on site cracked versions with stuff missing etc

all i want to do is understand the point behined CAPS!
Old 25 August 2003, 10:38   #8
fiath

Well, I don't know how much you currently know, but basically CAPS preserves original versions of games, from original disks, unmodified and true to the original mastering including any copy protection or custom format that existed on the original disk. That is the point.

I guess what you are referring to is what is the point in preserving these games if you can get hold of them? Well, as detailed on the site, we are not a games download page, we are a technical project. We have neither the permissions or resources to provide games for everybody.

There are three sets of people who we can give games to:

1) The original authors of the games
2) Websites that have distributions rights of the games
3) The people that contribute/dump the games for preservation

Most people will fall into (3). If you dump your games using our software, when it is released you will recieve a digitally preserved copy.

It is up to these people what they do with these, it has nothing to do with us. If they chose to distribute them, fine. If they chose not to distribute them, fine.

Most of the games seem to be in wider circulation, but discussing exactly where to find them is not the purpose of this forum, and any such posts will be deleted. Ultimately, we are not prepared to risk CAPS with silly copyright disputes.

If you have any further questions, no problem, just post here!
Old 25 August 2003, 12:29   #9
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

there are a few people who are sharing the ipf's they have but where to get them from...

I Really Couldn't say..

Old 25 August 2003, 17:30   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
Most of the games seem to be in wider circulation, but discussing exactly where to find them is not the purpose of this forum, and any such posts will be deleted.
So I too will risk my post being deleted if I just say "look in some binary groups in Usenet, you might find some stuff there"?
That's not the same as posting a direct URL in here, is it?
Old 25 August 2003, 17:37   #11
fiath

Fine. But please guys, lets not discuss it any further. This is not the place for it.
Old 25 August 2003, 18:39   #12
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Fiath I understand a little more now about what it is your doing and agree it's a good idea For instance i Had Pirates way back in Atari ST days just after i bought it i got an Amiga so i put images of Amiga version over the Atari disks.

Now the Only version i can seem to get hold of is Quartex version. As everyone knows you can't play it properly cause the game is made more difficult because you don't get letter of Marque so can't enter a port. I have been Looking on Ebay for a version but to no avail yet.

Also Meglomania i recently won this in an Auction and it's on the way this is the kinda thing your trying to preserve the Original unalterd game. I dare say you'll already have it tho

anyway thanks for the info
Old 26 August 2003, 09:43   #13
fiath

Pirates:

Shame you don't have the original ST disks then... Do you have any other ST games? Anyway as you paid for the game, hopefully you will be able to find the IPF releases:

http://www.caps-project.org/games.ph...s!&view=TNVCGD

Mega Lo Mania:

Yup, sure do have that:
http://www.caps-project.org/games.ph...ia&view=TNVCGD
Old 26 August 2003, 22:13   #14
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Knight Force alternative original

@fiath - OK, no problem. Let's talk about real original software again, boxed, preferably

As this thread is also read by some contributors, I'd ask you: could you look if you have Knight Force as an original and could send it to CAPS?
Note that is a special case (I won't repeat this request for whatever game, mind you!) because even the WinUAE development team has no clue yet how to make at least the crack work with the emulator!

You might have noticed it that CAPS has *not* released this game yet. It's because of its extremely ugly protection code (one of the cracks does work on my bog-standard A1000, but still fails on the emulator) plus a strong assumption that this "original disk" shipped to CAPS doesn't seem to be the unmodified original as it was available in the shops back in those days.
(I got this info from IFW directly.)

Maybe another original raw dump could help CAPS to release a version publicly that will meet the sophisticated CAPS quality standards.

Last edited by andreas; 26 August 2003 at 22:20.
Old 27 August 2003, 15:53   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I'm so glad I started this thread
Old 27 August 2003, 15:59   #16
IFW

Actually I said that there must be a good reason why it is not released, one possibility is that the game is modified, another that it is budget etc.
I also said there is another game that uses the same protection but without the p-code (a pseudo code, not real code, there is a runtime part that translates the p-code...) that is very annoying to trace, but I don't remember anymore which one.
Anyway as Andreas said a retail dump is welcome, even though the game is... interesting