English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 January 2016, 11:15   #1
Justice

Gold Box games character transfer?

I have Curse of the Azure Bonds and Pools of Darkness in WinUAE and I can't work out what to do in order to transfer characters from one game to the next. It gives me the option in-game, then asks me to insert a disk in DF0, but the save games are stored in the WHDLoad drawer of their respective games. I have tried copying the .sav file to the directory of the game I want to transfer to, but the game doesn't see it and still asks to insert a disk in DF0.

Has anyone successfully managed to transfer characters?
Old 01 January 2016, 19:55   #2
copse

Maybe just put the sav files on a disk image, and do the transfer the old way?
Old 01 January 2016, 22:10   #3
Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
Maybe just put the sav files on a disk image, and do the transfer the old way?
How do I go about doing that?

I tried creating a character and save game using the .adf (non-WHDLoad) version of the game via the floppy drives but the game I'm trying to transfer into doesn't see the saves.

It's so old and obscure that there's really nothing on the internet about it at all. I just wanted to be able to get level 13 Fighters in Pools of Darkness, but they start off at level 14 in that game. I've all but given up now and will have to settle for level 14 Fighters.
Old 02 January 2016, 10:42   #4
Antti
A500 fan

There are some notes about character transfer in the WHDLoad install readme for The Curse Of The Azure Bonds, http://www.whdload.de/games/CurseOfTheAzureBonds.html. Maybe that helps?
Old 02 January 2016, 19:02   #5
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
How do I go about doing that?

I tried creating a character and save game using the .adf (non-WHDLoad) version of the game via the floppy drives but the game I'm trying to transfer into doesn't see the saves.

It's so old and obscure that there's really nothing on the internet about it at all. I just wanted to be able to get level 13 Fighters in Pools of Darkness, but they start off at level 14 in that game. I've all but given up now and will have to settle for level 14 Fighters.
Well, what I would try is using the non-WHDLoad versions of both games. Make a save in non-WHDLoad Pools on a save disk. Substitute your WHDLoad saves onto that. Then run non-WHDLoad target game, transfer the characters and get a valid save disk. Then take contents of non-WHDLoad target save disk, and put into WHDLoad save directory.

If you can have WHDLoad Pools saves that work, and WHDLoad target game saves that work, then this process should also work but be the long and tedious way of doing it.

But given the other reply, it doesn't seem like it should be that hard and that it should just work in a simple manner.
Old 12 January 2016, 00:55   #6
Justice

I ended up just starting a new game in Pools of Darkness and using more optimal characters. I had forgotten there is a way to power level characters at the beginning of the game in order to start with an optimal party. Most of the good items are quite close to the start as well. The entire game seems to be designed in quite a user friendly way actually.
Old 12 January 2016, 19:38   #7
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
I ended up just starting a new game in Pools of Darkness and using more optimal characters. I had forgotten there is a way to power level characters at the beginning of the game in order to start with an optimal party. Most of the good items are quite close to the start as well. The entire game seems to be designed in quite a user friendly way actually.
Did you try both approaches and neither worked? Or did you just decide to take the approach you did?