English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 31 December 2006, 21:56   #1
Marcuz

[obsolete] EoB 2 Thread AGA and translations betatesting

I start a dedicated thread for EoB2: it is intended for the progress in translations and for bug reporting on the AGA conversion. as the translations may give the game bugs too, it is fit that one thread only is used for the purpose.

i start by reporting that the use of the MAP cheat may render the game unplayable, messing badly the maps so that what you see on screen is not what there is. i did the following:
start a game, imported my eob1 save, started palying. so far so good. in the forest i accessed the secret area, then, there, i've moved via map cheat to the underground prisons, avoiding any confrontation. i freed Calandra and added her to the party, tracked down my steps back to the forest, entered the temple, talked with Calandra' sister who didn't noticed whom she was looking for right in front of her (obviously ) then attacked the clerics Nadia and Joril. the door of the temple closed. so i used again the map cheat and from there i accessed the area bottom right, one of the 4 branches of the "circular" zone down there. now the problems started, as i started seeing unreacheable open forest walls, disappearing walls etc, when i arrived to the portal room, the game was completely broken, with almost anything that didn't interact with the mouse.

also i report that playing with kickstart 3.1 and a workbench 3.1 based hard disk, with winuae, the game was pretty slow; without JIT enabled the game hanged at the intro, so i had to use it and this way a shitload of graphic glitches were present. by forcing all other settings to the most conservatives, i had nevertheless some glitches, like monster changing colours, the wall of 4 winds completely ruined by fuxia and purple stripes, etc. is there any way to adjust the engine to use JIT without degrading the graphic?

as abottom line, my italian translation is full of typos and too long sentences, i have the files here to work on, so i'll play the game some more to put down a list of what i have to fix.

can someone who has both 1) classicWB or a 3.0/3.1 workbench without scalos AND 2) a 3.9 setup either with or without rtg ON WINUAE try and see if there are any differences in game speed and graphic errors? no matter the language chosen, but it has to be an AGA version, of course
Old 04 January 2007, 17:43   #2
Marcuz

i've finally tested EoB on the last ClassicWB, both with Scalos enabled and Scalos disabled. if you open the directory (vga-data) in scalos the workbench goes guru, while this don't happens with the normal workbench setting. but the really good news is that with JIT enabled AND scalos DISABLED, finally all the nasty graphic glitches are gone! so simply the right solution is not to use scalos environment when playing the game. JIT may stay, so the speed is good, but scalos goes away.
Old 15 March 2007, 01:11   #3
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
There are two executables. The standard AGA one hangs on the character generation screen. The WHDload version seems to have extra scanlines??? any advice?
Old 15 March 2007, 10:52   #4
Marcuz

I have no problem here on Winuae and worbench 3.1, providing i use the settings described up here: what's your configuration? are you are using the real A1200 in your signature?
Old 15 March 2007, 10:56   #5
keropi

I had probs too on my real A4000 with Eob2-standar.... you could not create a team.... whd version was OK though!
Old 15 March 2007, 11:07   #6
Marcuz

CFOU! produced the hacks on his own amiga, so i hink when he will get to this he 'll help you
Old 15 March 2007, 19:24   #7
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
yes i am using my real Amiga. AGA version hangs at team creation. Graphics look sharp a nd bright. WHDLoad version works but graphics look duller, probably due to what look like ?EXTRA? scanlines??
Old 20 April 2007, 16:47   #8
hexaae
Bug hunter

I finally tested EOB-2 AGA on WinUAE, transferring all my A1200 env to a new PC with Win Vista... and I can confirm it asks for "SAVE GAME DISK" if you try to load a saved game

---

Damn'it!! My EOB2AGA was missing some files in /languages/ !! (
It's all right, 1.05 from eob.wikispaces works fine under WinUAE...

Last edited by hexaae; 26 April 2007 at 11:31.
Old 23 April 2007, 11:04   #9
SilentBob

In my case the game hangs at the character generation screen if I start the game from the Workbench screen (running DblNTSC screenmode etc). If I boot the computer with no startup-sequence, with the computer in PAL mode, that part works fine. So I generated a party that way, saved the game and booted back into Workbench and then the rest of the game ran fine. I get the map screen corruption as well. Sometimes when exiting the game the Amiga crashes.
Old 23 April 2007, 15:26   #10
Marcuz

can you please both give more detail on the configs?

i believe i have experienced the hang on the the char generation screen, but i don't remember with what settings on winuae. sadly i cannot test on real amiga.
Old 26 April 2007, 11:33   #11
hexaae
Bug hunter

Please can someone repost v 1.06 in The Zone with latest fixes by CFOU?
Also on wikispaces please...
Old 26 April 2007, 11:42   #12
Marcuz

1.06? i thought the ast one was 1.05 (i have 1.05beta):
http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB2+AGA+GAME

[edit] i have checked the last posts in threads about EoB2 by CFOU, but they are all predating the release you have in the wiki: if you need the one i have, that i guess i've downloaded there some time before the last one, let me know
Old 26 April 2007, 13:50   #13
hexaae
Bug hunter

Maybe I was wrong... I remember a v1.06 but passed so much time from my last visit in this forum. I also lost all my languages/ subdir for EOB2 AGA

BTW, EOB2 AGA 1.05 didn't run in Italian? I can't make it start so (I use the WHD version, even on WinUAE ...
Old 26 April 2007, 17:02   #14
Marcuz

Ok, i have made a quick test.

1) Sadly i have to confirm that the version i have DON'T LOAD SAVE FILES. it asks instead for "disk 1" This is probably broken in the not-whdload version (the whd one was only in early betas or in Eob1 only? i know i've seen it but i don't remember if it was in the Eob2 also.)

however i know too that EOB2 AGA worked with savegames in earlier versions, because i had to test the translation, and relied on the savegames for it.

So this is a bug that needs CFOU for fixing, it is not a config problem, for scruple i've tested also with a bare A1200 setup.

2) the translation files: my version starts in italian, i confirm the language files works. as it is the same as the one in the wikispaces, i would say that you simply missed the little file that calls for the right language.
i have 3 files that were there from the downloaded ZIP:

EOB2.language
EOB2.language1
EOB2.language2

write in all of them (to be sure): IT

also, in the original zip there are still the files with your translation, just they are not used by default (i seem to remember that IT points to mine and IT2 to yours, i'm not sure though, something like that)
Old 02 May 2007, 15:25   #15
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
Ok, i have made a quick test.

1) Sadly i have to confirm that the version i have DON'T LOAD SAVE FILES. it asks instead for "disk 1" This is probably broken in the not-whdload version (the whd one was only in early betas or in Eob1 only? i know i've seen it but i don't remember if it was in the Eob2 also.)
I use the WHD version under WinUAE (I migrated all my 060 sys and all my games), and the one form website loads and saves correctly...

Quote:
2) the translation files: my version starts in italian, i confirm the language files works. as it is the same as the one in the wikispaces, i would say that you simply missed the little file that calls for the right language.
i have 3 files that were there from the downloaded ZIP:

EOB2.language
EOB2.language1
EOB2.language2

write in all of them (to be sure): IT
Done, but still starts in Eng only... mmh, I've to be sure the locale.lib etc. are installed in EOB2AGA-whd's dir. Will check it.

Quote:
also, in the original zip there are still the files with your translation, just they are not used by default (i seem to remember that IT points to mine and IT2 to yours, i'm not sure though, something like that)
Ok... I'll look for them too even if I can't remember anything I've done 4 months ago
Old 02 May 2007, 16:16   #16
hexaae
Bug hunter

In this v1.5 anyway something got lost: there were some improvements in the intro with sparkling thunderbolts on the window inside Khelb's studio...
As far as I can remember CFOU lost some srcs because of a HD crash?
Old 02 May 2007, 21:47   #17
Marcuz

do you want me to send you the files i have ? it is a not whdload version, it works flawlessly and in italian but the game loading is broken.
either you can interpolate the files or wait for CFOU to fix them, then

[PLEASE USE THIS THREAD FOR BETATESTING OF EYE OF THE BEHOLDER 2 AGA ONLY. THANKS]

Last edited by Marcuz; 22 April 2008 at 12:01.
Old 21 August 2008, 22:47   #18
Marcuz

After a reorganization on the EoB related projects by AGF, this thread is closed.
for betatesting of Eye of the Beholder 2 AGA, please refer to this thread instead:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=449085