English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 20 December 2020, 17:21   #1
utukku

Delaying workbench startup for a few seconds?

Hi,
is there anything that I can write into the startup sequence that would delay the startup of workbench?

I have this slightly annoying problem on my A4000D that has a buddah and ZZ9000 installed, where on cold boot, it fails to recognise both cards, so WB doesn't load correctly. However, if I then do a soft reset, everything is recognised and loads correctly.

Cheers

Utukku
Old 20 December 2020, 17:37   #2
PeterK

You could insert a "wait 1" or "wait 2" after the loading of the monitor drivers and before IPrefs or you could try "LoadWB Delay".
Old 20 December 2020, 18:05   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by utukku View Post
I have this slightly annoying problem on my A4000D that has a buddah and ZZ9000 installed, where on cold boot, it fails to recognise both cards, so WB doesn't load correctly. However, if I then do a soft reset, everything is recognised and loads correctly.
Zorro card recognition is not done by Workbench. It's done by expansion.library before startup-sequence even starts. A delay in startup-sequence changes nothing.

A better workaround would be to check if the cards are present and if not delay a second and reboot. I don't know if a program exists which checks for Zorro card presence. But if not it would be easy to write one.
Old 20 December 2020, 19:14   #4
PeterK

Ok, I don't have any Amiga hardware anymore, but how can it start booting and loading a startup-sequence already from the HDD if the Buddha is not ready and recognized by expansion.library?
Old 20 December 2020, 19:36   #5
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Ok, I don't have any Amiga hardware anymore, but how can it start booting and loading a startup-sequence already from the HDD if the Buddha is not ready and recognized by expansion.library?
Maybe it's booting from the Buddha but coming up in the wrong screenmode because the ZZ9000's not initialised? Or maybe there's a boot drive on the internal IDE and other drives on the Buddha?
Old 20 December 2020, 21:44   #6
utukku

Hi, at the moment I have the CF boot card connected to the onboard IDE port, and a cd-rom drive on on the buddah. So it's not booting from the buddah first.