Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 March 2021, 19:34   #1
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Cf card, whdload problem- black screen.

Hi, I recently purchased this card for my a1200:

Amiga 1200 32GB 3.1AGA CF CARD ONLY. Whdload 18.5+Games/Demos/Music/Utils

I have an aca1221lc accellerator installed http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACA1221lc

At first games loaded but then later some games that previously worked stopped working- now the games just hang on a black screen and nothing happens. Oddly, Dragonstone cd32 still works- random.

So, the card, preset, pre-loaded, was bought on ebay and should be registered to the sellers name. I checked some old forum threads- one says it could be whdload detecting a non registered key? I don't mind paying for registration of whdload if necessary. Other threads suggest otherwise though?

According to the information displayed on my desktop screen the fast ram is available- is whdload somehow not getting the ram it needs? Do i need to do anything regarding flashing the aca card? Any help is appreciated.
Old 05 March 2021, 21:18   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

you don't need a keyfile for whdload. If there's a keyfile (whdload.key) on the card, I suggest that you delete it as it could be an illegal one. Bert didn't remove the protection checks for pirated keys, even if the software is now 100% unlocked without a key !

but I don't think whdload would be smart enough to allow to play sometimes and sometimes not...well I didn't write it

Maybe it's just a "maxtransfer" issue? You could try small whdload games like tinyinvaders or tinygalaga.
Also check that PRELOAD tooltype (or cli option) is activated.
Old 05 March 2021, 22:17   #3
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
you don't need a keyfile for whdload. If there's a keyfile (whdload.key) on the card, I suggest that you delete it as it could be an illegal one. Bert didn't remove the protection checks for pirated keys, even if the software is now 100% unlocked without a key !

but I don't think whdload would be smart enough to allow to play sometimes and sometimes not...well I didn't write it

Maybe it's just a "maxtransfer" issue? You could try small whdload games like tinyinvaders or tinygalaga.
Also check that PRELOAD tooltype (or cli option) is activated.
ah ok- where would i find the whdload.key? Max transfer? of the card?
I will check the preload tooltype or cli option? How do i do that- lol.

i will try a small game and do a test ok.
Old 05 March 2021, 22:24   #4
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Hi, I recently purchased this card for my a1200:

Amiga 1200 32GB 3.1AGA CF CARD ONLY. Whdload 18.5+Games/Demos/Music/Utils

I have an aca1221lc accellerator installed http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACA1221lc

At first games loaded but then later some games that previously worked stopped working- now the games just hang on a black screen and nothing happens. Oddly, Dragonstone cd32 still works- random.

So, the card, preset, pre-loaded, was bought on ebay and should be registered to the sellers name. I checked some old forum threads- one says it could be whdload detecting a non registered key? I don't mind paying for registration of whdload if necessary. Other threads suggest otherwise though?

According to the information displayed on my desktop screen the fast ram is available- is whdload somehow not getting the ram it needs? Do i need to do anything regarding flashing the aca card? Any help is appreciated.
Just wondering which advert it was?

Might be worth asking the seller about this? I'm sure even if the key was legit it wouldn't have caused this issue... and if the key was illegal then others would have experienced the same issue?

See if the seller is willing to send you the image so you can write back the original again (and consider testing in WinUAE in case there is conflict with your accelerator?)
Old 05 March 2021, 22:27   #5
lilwshu

I had this issue when using Kickstart 3.0 and running Workbench in interlaced mode just in case you are doing the same. Upgrading to 3.1 or running in non-laced modes fixed it.
Old 05 March 2021, 22:55   #6
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Just wondering which advert it was?

Might be worth asking the seller about this? I'm sure even if the key was legit it wouldn't have caused this issue... and if the key was illegal then others would have experienced the same issue?

See if the seller is willing to send you the image so you can write back the original again (and consider testing in WinUAE in case there is conflict with your accelerator?)
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Amiga-1200-3...72.m2749.l2649

I did message the seller- he mentioned flashing the accellerator- not necessary i think?
Old 05 March 2021, 22:56   #7
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
I had this issue when using Kickstart 3.0 and running Workbench in interlaced mode just in case you are doing the same. Upgrading to 3.1 or running in non-laced modes fixed it.
Thanks- i will check my resolution mode- it might be that.
Old 06 March 2021, 01:29   #8
lesta_smsc

Quote:
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Amiga-1200-3...72.m2749.l2649

I did message the seller- he mentioned flashing the accellerator- not necessary i think?
Not sure why it would... doesn't explain why it stopped.

Can you make an image and upload it? I could test on WinUAE setup I use that mimics accelerator and then see what settings are needed to fix or why it has glitches.
Old 06 March 2021, 01:51   #9
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Not sure why it would... doesn't explain why it stopped.

Can you make an image and upload it? I could test on WinUAE setup I use that mimics accelerator and then see what settings are needed to fix or why it has glitches.
If changing the resolution mode does not work I will make an image for you. So, just a straight copy of the cards contents?
Old 06 March 2021, 02:02   #10
lesta_smsc

Quote:
If changing the resolution mode does not work I will make an image for you. So, just a straight copy of the cards contents?
Win32DiskImager works well then just zip or rar the img file.

The resolution autosets. At least on my current set up it didn't matter whether I had Picasso high resolution configured in Workbench - the game resolution would be at native.

Have you tried disabling the accelerator and just running off fastmem (so that you get enough RAM for any games that require it)?
Old 06 March 2021, 06:34   #11
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

It seems that running in non-laced modes fixed it- weird. I tried the games that did not work previously and they now work + a bunch of other random ones. So far so good.

If i have any future issues with it i can resurrect this thread. - thanks to everyone who helped. Cheers
Old 06 March 2021, 10:04   #12
supaduper

Also check that those 4 components are removed as shown in that link on the A1200 motherboard as these will give you timing problems with most accelerators and Jens ones, I know because I had the same problem and removed them and problem solved
Old 06 March 2021, 10:44   #13
lesta_smsc

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=102752

Seems like same issue reported before.

One option seems to be using KS 3.1. Softkick that beforehand and it might solve the issue with using the screen modes that don't work.
Old 06 March 2021, 12:28   #14
jotd
This cat is no more

you can also try JST. see if it works