English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 January 2021, 03:25   #1
Irl

Video Toaster Shorted

I have an Amiga 2000 with video toaster and managed to short out the toaster.. and, it's toast.

Anyone know where I can obtain diagrams, repair guides, or board files? I can't seem to locate anything for it. I tested all of the components near the traces that shorted and can't find anything amiss, but it does not function.

How did it short? They designed it with a metal U bracket held on by zip-ties and some sticky foam.. it seems the foam on mine dry-rotted away and the bracket shifted when I was working with the drive cage. Next power-on, pop-snap-pop.. dead toaster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	47
Size:	770.8 KB
ID:	70516  
Old 22 January 2021, 04:03   #2
r.cade

Send a message via AIM to r.cade Send a message via MSN to r.cade Send a message via Yahoo to r.cade
There's no schematics. It was all proprietary and mostly entirely custom logic.

Now the part you have circled is the RAM board on the outside. I guess you could replace the RAM on it at least. Otherwise, you'll probably have to find another board. Fortunately they aren't prohibitively expensive.
Old 22 January 2021, 19:11   #3
Irl

Thanks. I was surprised that NewTek was actually repairing these boards up until about a decade ago. They will still provide the software to you if you open a ticket, but they don't offer any repairs or schematics.