English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 August 2004, 14:20   #1
Unregistered

Amiga Laptop

I have read all about the new Amiga G3's etc... and it all sounds great.

I was wondering if anyone knows what so special about the setup, and how it differs from lets say an Ibook G3?

Is it just a couple of chips?

Would it be possible to custom it (soldering iron in hand).

Just a thought.

Would love to chop my ibook into an amiga.

Cheers chaps.

Mark

Old 12 August 2004, 09:01   #2
Amiga1992

The special thing is that OS4 is designed to work with a certain bootstrap ROM of sorts. This means that if you don't have this ROM it won't work. Or something like that, it's been said recently in the "Who's got the OS4 pre-release?" thread (I think).

Apple notebooks don't have it, therefore that's why this OS wouldn't run in them. Sadly. I have a G3 iBook that I would love to load with OS4 but they're being arseholes by limiting the OS to the A1 platform. If they opened it to _any_ PPC platform it could only bring good things. (Classic amiga with PPC, old Macs, iBooks, Powerbooks, you name it). Their bleemin' loss.

Quite obviously (for me) an iBook is much better hardware than one of those Amiga1s. And cheaper. I mean almost for the price of a G4 board I might be able to get a full-on G4 iBook!

Here's waiting for people to hack this OS to bits so it works on any PPC hardware.
Old 12 August 2004, 09:11   #3
oldpx

And I doubt anyone will hack it. One has to be interested in amiga, have the technical knowledge on amigaone hardware and be a non-zealot, own also a mac THEN be bothered with hacking it.

Old 12 August 2004, 10:29   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burseg
And I doubt anyone will hack it. One has to be interested in amiga, have the technical knowledge on amigaone hardware and be a non-zealot, own also a mac THEN be bothered with hacking it.
That's quite a list of criteria. Can't see it happening either

@ Akira, yep the pricepoint is ridiculous. Seems to be the idea to milk the people still willing to 'support' the new amiga community for all it's worth. Oh well, I ain't buying it (the product or the idea)
Old 13 August 2004, 00:46   #5
Sigfrodi

Send a message via MSN to Sigfrodi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Apple notebooks don't have it, therefore that's why this OS wouldn't run in them. Sadly. I have a G3 iBook that I would love to load with OS4 but they're being arseholes by limiting the OS to the A1 platform. If they opened it to _any_ PPC platform it could only bring good things. (Classic amiga with PPC, old Macs, iBooks, Powerbooks, you name it). Their bleemin' loss..
Well AFAIK OS 4.0 will also be available for Amiga with Cyberstorm PPC and eventually Blizzard PPC.

About AmigaOS4.0 on Apple hardware, since Macintosh is a very closed standard, I suppose that KMOS would need the approval from Apple... I don't really think Apple would agree to that (now I might be wrong). But it would have been great, perhaps something that would persuade me to invest in an Apple computer...
Old 13 August 2004, 22:53   #6
Amiga1992

Closed standard? With Open Firmware and the BSD-based OS X?

The Open Firmware is all you need to interface with the hardware (which is standard hardware btw)! Apple's platform is not as closed as before anymore.
Old 14 August 2004, 04:59   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
The special thing is that OS4 is designed to work with a certain bootstrap ROM of sorts. This means that if you don't have this ROM it won't work. Or something like that, it's been said recently in the "Who's got the OS4 pre-release?" thread (I think).

Apple notebooks don't have it, therefore that's why this OS wouldn't run in them. Sadly. I have a G3 iBook that I would love to load with OS4 but they're being arseholes by limiting the OS to the A1 platform. If they opened it to _any_ PPC platform it could only bring good things. (Classic amiga with PPC, old Macs, iBooks, Powerbooks, you name it). Their bleemin' loss.

Quite obviously (for me) an iBook is much better hardware than one of those Amiga1s. And cheaper. I mean almost for the price of a G4 board I might be able to get a full-on G4 iBook!

Here's waiting for people to hack this OS to bits so it works on any PPC hardware.
Why would you waste an iBook with amiga OS 4?
Old 17 August 2004, 20:18   #8
Amiga1992

It's not a waste if I can run the two systems.

I'd be able to use most of the nice AmigaOS apps I come to love without the need of my A1200, on the road.

It's a stable, efficient, fine OS.

Need I say more?
Old 19 August 2004, 09:29   #9
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Surely there's a version of UAE for Mac?