English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 17 April 2018, 17:33   #21
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
I think like some members have mentioned, we should back any website that looks to be behind the Amiga.
Absolutely no one said that. Almost everyone in this thread is condemning this website for its lack of accuracy. Where did you take that from? Clearly not this thread.

This website is not a "fan website emitting opinion" in which case, "anyone can write what their want online" is OK, it's passing itself off as an "Amiga news website", and as such, it is bound to accuracy and accountability at the very least, of which it has none.

Nobody should back anything that has fake information, anywhere online, offline or else. Shit like this only makes Amiga look worse.
Old 17 April 2018, 18:06   #22
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Absolutely no one said that. Almost everyone in this thread is condemning this website for its lack of accuracy. Where did you take that from? Clearly not this thread.

I was referring out loud with what most EAB members think of Amiga related websites.

Quote:
Nobody should back anything that has fake information, anywhere online, offline or else. Shit like this only makes Amiga look worse.
I disagree with this to some extent. It is said that "There is no such thing as bad press", how true this is, I do not know. What I do think, is that no coverage at all, would be worst than what Generation Amiga is listing. Eva way, it is keeping Amiga in the picture.

People keep making it apparent how the Amiga community is dwindling and this new upgrade is coming and so are lots of other great stuff. We can all chat lots of BS from time to time, so why is Generation Amiga singled out to be foe, rather than friend?

Does anyone else think that this is completely wrong?
Old 17 April 2018, 18:30   #23
Amiga1992

Quote:
I was referring out loud with what most EAB members think of Amiga related websites.
I didn't know you spoke for all of EAB . It is CLEAR by their own voices in this thread that this website is repudiated by the Amiga community visible so far.
Quote:
It is said that "There is no such thing as bad press"
This isn't press. Lies aren't press. A website talking bullshit isn't press.
And that quote you referenced is usually very well loved by every asshole in the history of mankind.

Again you confuse: Sure, WE can all chat absolute BS about Amiga (your favorite activity ), but this is not a personal, opinion blog or anything. It's passing itself off as NEWS.

This is starting to feel like this is your website
Old 17 April 2018, 19:00   #24
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Sorry MigaTech, I'm with Akira. If they aren't going to bother researching and fact checking, I'd rather they just didn't. Links to the site have been banned on quite a few retro Facebook groups as they are so consistently wrong as a news source.
Old 17 April 2018, 19:41   #25
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
I didn't know you spoke for all of EAB . It is CLEAR by their own voices in this thread that this website is repudiated by the Amiga community visible so far.
OK, I can accept this as a valid point.

Quote:
This isn't press. Lies aren't press. A website talking bullshit isn't press.
And that quote you referenced is usually very well loved by every asshole in the history of mankind.
I didn't know this was used by every asshole? I know vintage movie stars have used it and such like. So just felt the need to use it in this thread.

Quote:
Again you confuse: Sure, WE can all chat absolute BS about Amiga (your favorite activity ), but this is not a personal, opinion blog or anything. It's passing itself off as NEWS.
I think sometimes Akira you go below the belt with some of the pokes you have at me. I know you are all about actual proven fact but stating I chat BS about Amiga, as my favourite activity, is not very nice. As for News that the site covers, it is not all BS, some of it is true. They covered kipper2k leaving Apollo and Majsta correctly, amongst other news related issues.

Quote:
This is starting to feel like this is your website
Cannot believe you sometimes Akira, do you honestly think this last statement of yours, is in anyway true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Sorry MigaTech, I'm with Akira. If they aren't going to bother researching and fact checking, I'd rather they just didn't. Links to the site have been banned on quite a few retro Facebook groups as they are so consistently wrong as a news source.
No need to apologise, like Akira has stated, EAB members have their own voice and I agree with this. I also didn't know it was banned from some retro groups. It seems a little extreme to me, to do that to the site. Still I would be interested in what the Moderators of EAB think, of Generation Amiga?
Old 17 April 2018, 21:55   #26
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolfo.pa View Post
It's more like watching a Twilight Zone episode. Surprised nobody has mentioned this: https://jonlennartaasenden.wordpress...-arm-amiga-os/
Well... I think that this guy shouldn't have to deny what the site wrote - about him. Basically read what he has to say, and there are the ways that the stories can improve. Don't you want that?
Old 17 April 2018, 22:35   #27
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Well... I think that this guy shouldn't have to deny what the site wrote - about him. Basically read what he has to say, and there are the ways that the stories can improve. Don't you want that?
He seems offended more than anything. Yes I would like for Generation Amiga to improve their news facts and maybe regain some credence from EAB members. With the omission of Akira of course, who is almost impossible to please, at the best of times!

Nevertheless, at the moment anyways, it doesn't look like Generation Amiga is loved by all.
Old 17 April 2018, 23:51   #28
spudje

I'm also totally with Akira. The way the website now presents "news" is very wrong and hurting. Either post facts or simply make very clear your site is a site where opinions and "visions" regarding the Amiga are formulated.
Old 18 April 2018, 08:58   #29
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

https://www.generationamiga.com/2018...miga-magazine/

Old 18 April 2018, 09:36   #30
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Now that's special ...
Old 18 April 2018, 13:41   #31
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Generation Amiga are correct on what they say in my opinion, they are not harming Amiga, only helping to make it more popular.

So not everything they list or cover is purely correct, who cares as long as they keep Amiga in the picture and popular.

Amiga needs more followers who maybe didn't know of its existence and like retro computers/computing.

I am fully aware of what EAB members are stating and respect their views. I just cannot understand what the big deal is attacking a website that to me, only looks to promote Amiga a lot more than most are doing.

How many times did Amiga Power or Amiga Format print something that was never true or didn't transpire? I remember reading loads of BS from 1995 to the last edition of Amiga Format about how Amiga was going to this and that. No-one complains about that, then or now. We were just disappointed that nothing came from Commodore's demise.

Like I said before, no coverage is worse than what Generation Amiga are trying to do for Amiga. If that was the case, only us original followers would know of its existence.

How many new people have Generation Amiga reached and brought to the Amiga community? How can this be harming Amiga?
Old 18 April 2018, 13:43   #32
spudje

Maybe he should apply for a job at Phake 5

Migatech, let's stop repeating ourselves. Your view and some of our opposing views are clear now
Old 18 April 2018, 13:46   #33
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Generation Amiga are correct on what they say in my opinion, they are not harming Amiga, only helping to make it more popular.
They are harming Amiga when they are spreading misinformation, people will get unhappy when they realize that they have been mislead, how hard is that to understand?
Old 18 April 2018, 13:50   #34
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
They are harming Amiga when they are spreading misinformation, people will get unhappy when they realize that they have been mislead, how hard is that to understand?
So what you are stating then, is that they have to stop listing the BS before you all find them useful to the Amiga Community?
Old 18 April 2018, 13:52   #35
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
So what you are stating then, is that they have to stop listing the BS before you all find them useful to the Amiga Community?
Yes (but I speak for myself and not everyone else)
Old 18 April 2018, 13:57   #36
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

fair enough.

Do any other EAB members have anything good to say about Generation Amiga?
Old 18 April 2018, 13:58   #37
TuKo
Apollo Team

@MigaTech
You're encouraging fake news and think this is promoting and helping the Amiga ?
Old 18 April 2018, 14:03   #38
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuKo View Post
@MigaTech
You're encouraging fake news and think this is promoting and helping the Amiga ?
This isn't the case though is it! Think about it, we original Amiga followers already know about where Amiga actually is. New users don't, Generation Amiga are trying to bring new masses to the community.

OK, so not all of it they list shall ever transpire but who cares, by then the Amiga community population would have risen by a substantial margin.

Why is it harming the community? Are you trying to state that YOU and/or anyone else would stop following Amiga, just because a website published an article about Amiga, that didn't come to fruition?
Old 18 April 2018, 14:07   #39
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

As example, this is an article about my port of Milkytracker to AmigaOS 68k: http://www.generationamiga.com/2017/...pire-released/

Instead of adding a cut'n'paste from Wikipedia, which is pretty irrelevant, they could've reached out and ask me some questions, you know, like a journalist usually do.

That way I could've explained that it works not only on Vampire, but all 68k 040/060 setups with an RTG card, but perhaps too slow and explained WHY it would be too slow.

They could also have linked my original thread here on EAB and put a link to my website, where not only a 68k version is available but also MorphOS and AmigaOS4 versions, instead of a direct link to a dead download.

There are certainly interesting things going on in Amiga land at the moment, and setting the bar of quality on the articles (including sources, links, interviews with the people involved, rather than hearsay, rumors and wikipedia cut'n'paste) would certainly attract more people to Amiga.

Last edited by Marlon_; 18 April 2018 at 14:13.
Old 18 April 2018, 14:08   #40
Dunny

Do they have an article about how Resident Evil for the Amiga is almost ready and just needing a coder now that all the graphics are done?