English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 April 2017, 19:48   #1321
nogginthenog
Amigan

ReadArgs() from dos.library does the command line parsing:

http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node01A1.html

It's actually one of the cool things about AmigaOS.
Old 07 April 2017, 20:03   #1322
idrougge

/S means "switch". If you supply the keyword marked /S, it will be "switched on", and otherwise not.

And I agree that the /S, /K, /M flag signifiers are obscure, but it's still miles better than what Linux or Windows users have to deal with.
Old 07 April 2017, 20:33   #1323
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
but it's still miles better than what Linux or Windows users have to deal with.
No sorry, the world improved in the last 30 years.

Old 07 April 2017, 20:56   #1324
Gordon
Settler

Can recapping resurrect a non working Amiga? Or does it only help prevent future issues?
Old 07 April 2017, 21:23   #1325
thomas

It depends on why it is not working. If it does no work because of bad caps, then yes, recapping will resurrect it. If however one or more caps have leaked and the acid has destroyed the board, much more work than just recapping will be necessary. And if it does not work for another reason, then recapping will not help at all.
Old 07 April 2017, 23:25   #1326
E-Penguin
Banana

Thanks all, that's nice and clear now. I shall continue mostly ignoring them then
Old 08 April 2017, 01:47   #1327
Irl

Quote:
Originally Posted by powrslave View Post
Whenever I type wirelessmanager prism2.device my wireless card connects but then it seems like Roadshow auto connects (demo)

I don't understand how this is happening. I've commented out everything in the user-startup, there is nothing in wb startup. I don't know how to stop this thing because I want to use another stack. It seems like it started doing it on it's own.

After a reboot I immediatle attempt to launch Miami and it tells me another stack is running!

I used to just addnetinterface. It's taken over my Amiga help!

Months old, I know.. I had an issue with Roadshow and face-palmed when I realized that the install application for the demo will detect that it is already installed and offer to uninstall it.
Old 08 April 2017, 20:52   #1328
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
It depends on why it is not working. If it does no work because of bad caps, then yes, recapping will resurrect it. If however one or more caps have leaked and the acid has destroyed the board, much more work than just recapping will be necessary. And if it does not work for another reason, then recapping will not help at all.
Reassuring, thank you.
Old 09 April 2017, 03:17   #1329
idrougge

Locutus, what .bashrc do you use? That's not what Linux or Windows (or OSX) users have to deal with.
Old 09 April 2017, 03:18   #1330
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Can recapping resurrect a non working Amiga? Or does it only help prevent future issues?
In some rare cases it can, such as when the reset line doesn't work due to a failed capacitor.

But what usually reanimates the Amiga is that you repair capacitor damage while replacing capacitors.
Old 09 April 2017, 09:58   #1331
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Locutus, what .bashrc do you use? That's not what Linux or Windows (or OSX) users have to deal with.
https://fishshell.com/

IIRC zsh can do the same thing.
Old 17 April 2017, 09:31   #1332
bebek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
It helps with resurrecting a600 and cd32 as when they leak they damage crucial circuits. Others are slightly more lucky
Old 23 April 2017, 13:16   #1333
jolly11

at the time of the amiga 2000 there was a lot of pc's hardware emulation, like at once..did exist something for pc (to emulate amiga hardware) ?
Old 23 April 2017, 17:40   #1334
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly11 View Post
at the time of the amiga 2000 there was a lot of pc's hardware emulation, like at once..did exist something for pc (to emulate amiga hardware) ?
I seem to recall reading in the Amiga magazines of the day that there was some vague talk of an Amiga on a card so PC users could have an Amiga in their PC, but I do not believe that such a thing ever existed but rather that it was something that board members of Commodore talked about but never actually bothered investing in the development of.

Also these Amiga-PC bridgeboards actually had Intel CPU's on them so they were not really "emulating" anything.
Old 23 April 2017, 18:01   #1335
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
I seem to recall reading in the Amiga magazines of the day that there was some vague talk of an Amiga on a card so PC users could have an Amiga in their PC, but I do not believe that such a thing ever existed but rather that it was something that board members of Commodore talked about but never actually bothered investing in the development of.

Also these Amiga-PC bridgeboards actually had Intel CPU's on them so they were not really "emulating" anything.
I remember something like that myself, it would have been around 1996/97 when I got my first PC. It was a complete Amiga 500+ on a PCI card, I was hoping to get one but I never heard anything else about it. I can't remember the company involved but I do remember it was a well known name.
I didn't know about the planned Commodore one, I wonder if the one I mentioned was taken from the Commodore design?
Old 23 April 2017, 18:02   #1336
Locutus

That would have been this card:

http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/inside.html

Amusingly enough, something very similiar *did* exist for the Sinclair QL of all things: http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wik...tle=QXL%20Card

Last edited by Locutus; 23 April 2017 at 18:08.
Old 23 April 2017, 18:13   #1337
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
That would have been this card:

http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/inside.html
I don't think it was, I seem to remember it being a more or less complete A500+ with a standard 68000, it was been touted as a card for playing Amiga games on a PC. I could be wrong though, memory is a bit fuzzy from back then.
Thinking about it, its not really surprising it didn't get anywhere, emulation was coming to the forefront about then and would have outperformed any hardware solution anyway with a fast PC.
Old 23 April 2017, 21:53   #1338
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
I don't think it was, I seem to remember it being a more or less complete A500+ with a standard 68000, it was been touted as a card for playing Amiga games on a PC. I could be wrong though, memory is a bit fuzzy from back then.
Thinking about it, its not really surprising it didn't get anywhere, emulation was coming to the forefront about then and would have outperformed any hardware solution anyway with a fast PC.
This rings a bell also, but I could not recall which company was developing it so I left it out. But now that it's come up in conversation anyway I will add that I seem to recall a drawn-out negotiation to license the Amiga chipset and Kickstart which was ultimately fruitless (for obvious reasons:) and the hardware developer (whoever they were:) ran out of funds and or patience before the completed project could go to market.

And I also recall Amiga emulation was very much a thing by the time that CU Amiga died.
Old 23 April 2017, 23:12   #1339
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
This rings a bell also, but I could not recall which company was developing it so I left it out. But now that it's come up in conversation anyway I will add that I seem to recall a drawn-out negotiation to license the Amiga chipset and Kickstart which was ultimately fruitless (for obvious reasons and the hardware developer (whoever they were ran out of funds and or patience before the completed project could go to market.

And I also recall Amiga emulation was very much a thing by the time that CU Amiga died.
Yeah, I remember it but not the company or details. I started running the DOS version of Fellow about then, it did pretty much all I wanted of it except AGA but it did run a bit slow with some games on the system I had back then.
Within a year I had upgraded substantially and emulation at full speed wasn't a problem so that PCI card got pushed out of memory and forgotten about. Would have been nice to tinker with now though.
Old 25 April 2017, 20:25   #1340
spudje

Question: Can I use a RS232 (9 pin) serial cable as Joystick/mouse extension cable for Amiga?