English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 05 January 2008, 13:04   #1
Heula

Exoticons messed up everything!

Yesterday I downloaded the http://www.exotica.org.uk/misc/exoti.../Exoticons.lha and placed them in my games folders. All new icons were updated etc.

Now I noticed all my games with the exoticons aren't playable anymore. I get this error when I start the game.
IconX
Execute: Can't open * *
Object not found

So I started searching for a solution and saw in the info of the icon : Default tool - IconX and before exoticons it was WHDload.
Tried changing IconX in WHDload but that didn't do the trick.
So before I go downloading all KG packs again is there a simple solution so all the games will run without the error?
Old 05 January 2008, 13:44   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Each game needs it's own tooltypes.

You'll need to specify a slave in the tooltypes, usually "SLAVE=GameName.slave" and I'd recommend using PRELOAD too.

A lot of games have other tooltypes too which are explained in the readme.

Although, an easier way is just to use the icons in my packs as I've already setup all of the tooltypes to each game
Old 05 January 2008, 13:49   #3
girv
Mostly Harmless

'fraid not

You've overwritten your original icons with the Exoticons, but the Exoticons don't have the correct tooltypes to run the WHDLoad games. You need to change the following for all of them:

- set default tool to WHDLoad
- set stack to 10240 (or more, I usually set it to 16384)
- set a SLAVE= tooltype to the name of the "xyz.slave" file in each game's folder
- probably add a PRELOAD tooltype
- perhaps add other tooltypes if the game requires them

[edit: kg beat me to it!]
Old 05 January 2008, 15:18   #4
Heula

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv View Post
'fraid not

You've overwritten your original icons with the Exoticons, but the Exoticons don't have the correct tooltypes to run the WHDLoad games. You need to change the following for all of them:

- set default tool to WHDLoad
- set stack to 10240 (or more, I usually set it to 16384)
- set a SLAVE= tooltype to the name of the "xyz.slave" file in each game's folder
- probably add a PRELOAD tooltype
- perhaps add other tooltypes if the game requires them

[edit: kg beat me to it!]
I have downloaded the KG packs again. This saves me a lot work.

What I don't understand is why I got the error because iconx is installed in the C drawer. Is iconx downloadable as tooltype somewhere?
Old 05 January 2008, 15:22   #5
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

by default IconX tries to run a file with the same name as the icon.

So if you have an icon called MAGICMAN.info then it'll attempt to run a script file called MAGICMAN
Old 05 January 2008, 15:48   #6
Bloodwych

Heula, you really are on a steep learning curve aren't you!

IconX has nothing to do with WHDLoad games - it simply runs script/text files as if you were typing them in at a CLI/Shell prompt. It looks for the same icon name as KG mentioned above.

The icons you were trying to use, with a tooltype defined as IconX, are useless. They have to be the same as girv pointed out above to work.

In order to use other icons and not overwrite tooltypes, you have to use an icon install program (like the one under the Icons->Install popup menu in the ClassicWB). This will update an icon, but leave the tooltypes unchanged.
Old 05 January 2008, 18:52   #7
Heula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Heula, you really are on a steep learning curve aren't you!

IconX has nothing to do with WHDLoad games - it simply runs script/text files as if you were typing them in at a CLI/Shell prompt. It looks for the same icon name as KG mentioned above.

The icons you were trying to use, with a tooltype defined as IconX, are useless. They have to be the same as girv pointed out above to work.

In order to use other icons and not overwrite tooltypes, you have to use an icon install program (like the one under the Icons->Install popup menu in the ClassicWB). This will update an icon, but leave the tooltypes unchanged.
Yes always learning the hard way. Making mistakes is the best way I think. Now I know these icons are useless and have been solved by downloading the KG packs again.

I just thought those icons would look nice. Never expected this problem to come up.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 05 January 2008, 19:13   #8
Bloodwych

It's great that you're interested enough to get into using workbench again.

As I said above, those icons can be used, but you must use the icon installer provided in the ClassicWB, or one similar on Aminet, so the tooltypes remain untouched.

By the way, you may be interested in these also:

http://amikit.amiga.sk/

http://amigasys.extra.hu/

http://aiab.amiga.sk/
Old 05 January 2008, 21:11   #9
Heula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
It's great that you're interested enough to get into using workbench again.

As I said above, those icons can be used, but you must use the icon installer provided in the ClassicWB, or one similar on Aminet, so the tooltypes remain untouched.

By the way, you may be interested in these also:

http://amikit.amiga.sk/

http://amigasys.extra.hu/

http://aiab.amiga.sk/
The last 2 weeks i've spend a lot of time on all of this and I really enjoyed it. I have just installed and tested the Amigasys config and it looks nice and all but it is slower than the Classic Workbench. So i'm done testing for now and keep my Classic Workbench config for a while and go play some old games.

Kick off 2 extended version is my all time favorit and I have to work on my skills again because it has been 18 years I played it the last time.