English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 March 2012, 13:26   #1
donnie

most compatible 2 btn gamepad?

that isnt the twin bee/comp pro or cd32.

i have a megadrive pad right now. and the second btn only works on some games(like lionheart). i also have a waco stick which which works on games like turrican2 but not lionheart, i hate sticks though.

so im wondering.

is there a common(ie cheap) and decent pad which supports most 2 btn games?
Old 13 April 2012, 11:05   #2
mikele

my firt guess is Boomerang by Matt, model B432, compatible with CD32, but waaay better than Commodore's lousy pad. According to producer it supports TWO different fire buttons.

http://matt.com.pl/katalog/allegro/B432L/B432L_1.jpg
Old 09 October 2013, 07:24   #3
kokapetl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
i have a megadrive pad right now. and the second btn only works on some games (like lionheart)
Not a huge number of Amiga games have 2 button support written into them. Megadrive pads work with buttons B and C (from memory) being mapped to the Amiga buttons 1 and 2. I think if you had the 2nd button working for Lionheart, then it should for other games that support it?

Unless I'm mistaken and some of those games actually support "button 3" - which as far as I know was only ever used for mice. Though it is entirely possible that a new(er) game might have CD32 controller support and something weird is happening there.

Quote:
is there a common(ie cheap) and decent pad which supports most 2 btn games?
Good pads to use are 3rd party Sega Master System pads (the official controllers have terrible dpads). Buttons 1 and 2 are mapped the same as Amiga. Unfortunately these aren't all that common now. I've got a really nice one with turbo options lying around somewhere.
Old 13 October 2013, 05:32   #4
Hewitson

You can't beat the 6 button Megadrive pads in my opinion. I know the extra 3 buttons are absolutely useless in this application, but I find the pad much more comfortable to hold than the original 3 button ones.
Old 13 October 2013, 15:16   #5
Amiga1992

An old Master System pad will work better.
Although the 6 button MD pad is the end-all-be-all joypad of humanity, if you get something for the Master System it'll work in more games. For example, I used to have this one:

http://segaretro.org/Flight_Grip
Quickshot Flight Grip.

and the second button worked basically in everything, even old shit like R-Type 2. Now I don't know if this pad was special, because how would 2 button support work on an old game that didn't think of it? As far as I understood that mode was "Master System mode" (Mode D) and I never used the original Master System pads to test. But I found this pad made everything you had on the spacebar mapped to its second button. It's a bit inconvenient to use sometimes, as the d-pad's sharp edges tend to make your thumb sore, but it's a great alternative if you want two button action in pretty much a shit ton of games.

If you go for it, make sure it's the version pictured. If it doesn't have the slider to switch between modes, it's not the same (one version has two buttons there instead, like the NES version)

Last edited by Amiga1992; 13 October 2013 at 15:57.
Old 13 October 2013, 15:40   #6
s2325
Zone Friend

It was my first and best joypad.
Old 13 October 2013, 17:55   #7
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokapetl View Post
I think if you had the 2nd button working for Lionheart, then it should for other games that support it?
2ND button on the Amiga is PIN 9 + 8 (almost all games uses this)
but some games using different hacks for the 2nd button
one example I remember is the game BCKID , 2nd button never worked in this game not on any of my joys

another example is Aladdin, in some joy 2nd button worked in other not
Bubble and squeak I remember was problematic...2nd button not worked fine there
Old 13 October 2013, 19:35   #8
Cpt. Hindsight

IIRC that's an old relic from the Atari VCS/C64, where those pins were used as signals for paddle up/down, so your chances are 50/50 that your joystick/pad supports the right direction. If that's the case (and I'm not really 100% sure about that), I'm still wondering why there weren't three button joysticks for the Amiga.
Old 14 October 2013, 16:05   #9
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
IIRC that's an old relic from the Atari VCS/C64, where those pins were used as signals for paddle up/down, so your chances are 50/50 that your joystick/pad supports the right direction. If that's the case (and I'm not really 100% sure about that), I'm still wondering why there weren't three button joysticks for the Amiga.
Amiga could easily have made use of multiplexing, exactly the same way the megadrive pads work, which would allow up to 8 buttons. But for some reason they chose a much more complex scheme for the CD32 pads.
Old 14 October 2013, 16:48   #10
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
but some games using different hacks for the 2nd button
Really? That's ridiculous You can have three buttons without hacks. Wonder why they did that
Old 14 October 2013, 16:55   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Some games set second (and third if also used) button data input/output mode (POTGO register) to input which only works if joystick/pad has pullup resistors in 2nd/3rd button lines. It should have used output mode as documented in HRM.

Some pads appears to have pullups, some don't.