English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 February 2016, 20:13   #1
Leandro Jardim

How do I mount a 500MB FAT16 volume?

I have created a hardfile and formated it with MS-DOS on PCTask, but now I cant mount the volume to make it visible on AmigaOS. I have tried to use the tool that come with PCTask to mount it automatically, and even tried to edit my own mountlist, without luck.

I do know that I need to use the CrossDos handler for that, but the problem that I have is to decipher the parameters that I need to use for the blocks, sectors, cylinders and so on.

Can anyone show for me how do I can find these values on my hardfile?

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 04 February 2016 at 01:19.
Old 04 February 2016, 11:03   #2
Daedalus

I vaguely remember having problems with this when the partition was larger than a certain size. It was certainly possible with a mountlist and the geometry information from HDToolbox though. I can check my own mountlists later on and see if I still have the info on my A1200...

Couple of things to check: Does it work with the Fat95 filesystem instead of CrossDOS? And is the entire partition within the first 4GB of the hard drive? PC-Task had issues with partitions above the 4GB mark I seem to remember...
Old 04 February 2016, 11:11   #3
Daedalus

Actually, GiggleDisk might be worth a look too - it looks like it does all the hard work for you: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/giggledisk
Old 04 February 2016, 21:41   #4
Daedalus

Well, I've checked and I don't have the PC partition any more. The mountlist is very simple however, looks like the lowcyl and highcyl are just the values from HDToolbox times the blocksize (512), and L:CrossDOSFileSystem is the filesystem. It used to work anyway...
Old 04 February 2016, 22:31   #5
SkulleateR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Couple of things to check: Does it work with the Fat95 filesystem instead of CrossDOS? And is the entire partition within the first 4GB of the hard drive? PC-Task had issues with partitions above the 4GB mark I seem to remember...
Yes, this should work fine with FAT95 file system, just check it out on Aminet
Old 04 February 2016, 22:44   #6
rare_j
Zone Friend

I used to use mountdos which worked very well for zip disks.
It is on aminet.
Old 05 February 2016, 09:05   #7
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
I have created a hardfile and formated it with MS-DOS on PCTask, but now I cant mount the volume to make it visible on AmigaOS. I have tried to use the tool that come with PCTask to mount it automatically, and even tried to edit my own mountlist, without luck.

I do know that I need to use the CrossDos handler for that, but the problem that I have is to decipher the parameters that I need to use for the blocks, sectors, cylinders and so on.

Can anyone show for me how do I can find these values on my hardfile?
Do you mean hardfile as in HDF or Partition?
Old 05 February 2016, 09:41   #8
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Do you mean hardfile as in HDF or Partition?
*Facepalm* Sorry, I automatically took it as a hard drive partition. Never used a hardfile
Old 05 February 2016, 09:51   #9
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I'm not sure what he means either, wait until he replies, he might surprise us both
Old 05 February 2016, 11:48   #10
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
I'm not sure what he means either, wait until he replies, he might surprise us both
Now I should say that I am unsure if I understand the question correctly, as your irony make me feel confused now (no offense, really).

Eh eh, what I meant is a hardfile partition, well it's an IDE hardfile with a single 500 MB partition on the first 4 GB of data. So it's not an standard UAE one (which doesn't use a RDB).

I think that if I did the things correctly as it should be done, there shouldn't be any difference between that hardfile or a real harddisk, or even a partition in the middle of another hardfile, am I right?
Old 05 February 2016, 12:40   #11
thomas

In order to use the tool which comes with PCTask you first have to install hardfile.device to Devs:, then the hardfile has to be named as Hardfile0 and stored in a directory which has HF: assigned to it (so that you can refer to it as HF:Hardfile0).
Old 05 February 2016, 12:43   #12
Daedalus

Inception-tastic! So, it's a UAE hardfile that the emulated Amiga sees as a genuine, standard hard drive, and on that you've got a RDB, and a 500MB partition you've set up with HDToolbox. Is that right?

One thing I noticed when I was checking out my setup is that both mountlists I had for two different MS-DOS partitions were around 460MB each. Perhaps 500MB is too large to mount under FAT16? I vaguely remember having a reason for picking 460MB as a partition size instead of anything larger.
Old 05 February 2016, 13:18   #13
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
So, it's a UAE hardfile that the emulated Amiga sees as a genuine, standard hard drive, and on that you've got a RDB, and a 500MB partition you've set up with HDToolbox. Is that right?
Yes, thats right.

Quote:
One thing I noticed when I was checking out my setup is that both mountlists I had for two different MS-DOS partitions were around 460MB each. Perhaps 500MB is too large to mount under FAT16? I vaguely remember having a reason for picking 460MB as a partition size instead of anything larger.
I have installed Windows 3.1 on the hardfile, the only thing that doesnt works is accessing it from Workbench. But I am wrong about the partition size, it's 2 GB (I wanted to copy two shareware cd-roms to it). It works in Windows 3.1 (DOS 6.22 has allegedly 2GB limit for partitions), but AmigaDOS can't access it.

I tried giggledisk but I could not mount the partition with it. The file system which that tool uses is CrossDos. I noticed that when I boot Workbench the drive (DH2) is already mounted, but Workbench doesnt show the disk icon and AmigaShell can't read any files therein. So I dismounted it first, and tried pasting the fat95 file system name on the mount list that giggledisk generates, and remount that device but it didnt work.
Old 05 February 2016, 14:10   #14
Gilloo

Location: Grenoble, Isère, Rhône-Alpes, France, Europe, Earth
Reserved = 1 in the mountlist ?
If your hd image has been made with PC-Task, the first block (512 bytes) is to be ignored, fat95 or crossdos can't decode this block.