English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 January 2005, 15:17   #1
MethodGit

Where's the CHEAPEST place to get OS 3.9?

Thought I'd ask.

Not very willing to spend almost 40 quid on something with which I don't have a souped-up/real Amiga to go with...
Old 30 January 2005, 15:27   #2
kriz

If you buy from Vesalia.de : 27.0384 GBP ..

Very good amiga dealer, they have been in the amiga busiiniess for many years..
Old 30 January 2005, 15:28   #3
kriz

btw. get it!! Its nice to actually own it, i got it myself here
Old 30 January 2005, 15:48   #4
MethodGit

Interesting find, kriz!

Although I wish the shop would actually let you 'preview' the total price for the order including shipping and/or VAT. Particularly as it seems like PayPal is my only ideal choice of payment.
Old 30 January 2005, 17:52   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit
Thought I'd ask.
How about the internet, with a price of 0 quid? :P

Don't spend your cash in this. Don't feed Amiga Inc. or any Amiga Inc. supported project, their shitty atitude towards the real Amiga user is ure tosh.

This is my recommendation, do as you want.
Old 30 January 2005, 18:23   #6
StarEye
Zone Friend

I thought Amiga Inc. sold all classic amiga copyrights to someone else? If that's the case, then Amiga Inc. won't get any money for OS3.9 as it's software for the classic computers.
Old 30 January 2005, 19:38   #7
Amiga1992

The rights on OS3.9 and 4 are on Haage&Partners I think. Or something liike that.

Recently they sold all shit to someone, yes. Still the same think. Whoever owns the rights, has nothing to do with the Amiga userbase, nor do they care about them.
Old 30 January 2005, 20:14   #8
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
@akira...

haha...were to get it..???

Old 30 January 2005, 22:53   #9
RetroMan

@Akira

You are talking bullshit !!!!!!!!!! OS 3.9 is worth every single Dollar/Euro you pay for it .... just for this : you suck !
Old 30 January 2005, 23:16   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
You are talking bullshit !!!!!!!!!! OS 3.9 is worth every single Dollar/Euro you pay for it .... just for this : you suck !
I really don't understand your personal attack, it was completely UNCALLED FOR, then again I got used to get shit from everyone in this hostile board.

I still do not think this is worth any penny, not because of the program itself, but for the reasons of where the money is going. It goes to the wrong people.

If you want to support those leechs, its YOUR money and problem. I won't support them and I will advise everyone, regarding this subject, to not support them either. It's my advice and opinion and I stand by it. I do not see where I said "OS3.9 is shit", even when I think it's not worth an upgrade.

Go fetch an OS4+A1, zealot boi!
Old 31 January 2005, 00:08   #11
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Go fetch an OS4+A1, zealot boi!
2005 I will buy one for sure ......

I don´t think you understand anything !!!!! If you buy OS 3.9 TODAY .... no AmigaInc. and no KMOS or whatever gets ANY money from it, all Amiga Dealers paid them allready so with buying OS3.9 you will for sure support the last amiga dealers out there and no one else .....

Oh and btw. .... It´s ok if you think you can get an illegal copy of OS3.9 ! It´s also ok if you do so (well, for me it´s not but who cares !) BUT : It´s not ok to post this on a public forum as a Mod (or even Super-Mod) ....
Old 31 January 2005, 00:36   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Oh and btw. .... It´s ok if you think you can get an illegal copy of OS3.9 ! It´s also ok if you do so (well, for me it´s not but who cares !) BUT : It´s not ok to post this on a public forum as a Mod (or even Super-Mod) ....
Being a mod or supermod does not forbid me of making my voice and opinion heard, the same way as you being a mod are not forbidden to tell me I suck and voice your opinion.
I'm not posting links to the software or whatever, so your attack was still uncalled for.

I still think purchasing it is of no help to real Amiga owners. Only way to purchase it would be used from an user, then again, this is of no benefit to the community at all, but at least it doesn't enlarge the pockets of those hurting it.

Since I really DO care about the amiga and its users, I advice everyone not to purchase this or anything related.
Old 31 January 2005, 00:42   #13
RetroMan

You care about amiga and it´s users ??? I don´t think so .... no amiga user can benefit from dying amiga dealers because no one buys in the shops ....
Old 31 January 2005, 02:00   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
You care about amiga and it´s users ??? I don´t think so .... no amiga user can benefit from dying amiga dealers because no one buys in the shops ....
No Amiga user can benefit from a sale of OS3.9.
Much better to buy something else from a dealer, like a scando, or other more useful, REAL Amiga software (Turboprint comes to mind)
Old 31 January 2005, 11:32   #15
derSammler

Quote:
No Amiga user can benefit from a sale of OS3.9.
I would say the question is simply if one want to have an original copy or not. I don't know under which viewpoints you buy your software but I for myself don't care if I support someone when buying software. e.g. I bought Windows XP, but not to support M$, simply because I needed an OS for my PC.
Old 31 January 2005, 17:10   #16
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

I bought OS3.9 from Vesalia two years ago or so (to appease Akira: along with lots of other stuff ), and I never regretted it. Not that I really needed it, I could as well have stayed with (my legal copy of) OS3.5 or even OS3.1 (as I mainly play games), but at such a low price, I don't see any serious reason against buying it, and I was curious how good it is. Yes, I know I could download it from <insert random file sharing program here> or <insert random FTP here>, but why should I when it's available legally?
Old 31 January 2005, 17:27   #17
dirkies
Zone Friend

I got mine from eDonkey... Sorry, but I agree with Akira, the prices they ask for outdated Amiga soft&hardware just don't justify it.... And also my Amiga has been switched on for about 3 hours in the last 6 months, so that didn't justify buying it either! Amiga as we know it is dead, final stop. All that is now about OS4 and those Amiga 'dialects' is absolutely of NO interest to me, Amiga died when C= died, all that came afterwards was a lame show of incompetence, amateurism & empty promises. Now only a few geeks keep the dead patient on the breathing machine, while they are totally alienated from todays IT world realities where OS X, XP and Linux rule. Look at those pictures of 'conferences' of 'new' Amiga stuff on ann.lu Whohaha, a few overaged nerds in the backroom of a gym in a school in some local farmer town showing some dull desktops in amateuristic built PC mod'ed cases
Oh, another preview of the 'ultimate' OS...I guess not even the cows next to the school give a damn what happens there

Oh, and I had same reaction when I wanted to BUY 1,5 years ago DirectoryOPUS 5 (Magellan or whatever it is called)... first I couldn't find it anywhere (the official pages returned 404), then I did find it from some obscure UK retailer but for an outrageous price (40 quid or so), so finally a bud passed me a few floppies and case closed, I don't pay for dead software, and Dopus for PC is not needed either, Total Commander is good enough for me.

I spent in the late 80s & early 90s a fokkin fortune on Amiga hardware (and some software... a full blown A4000/040, then upgraded with the most advanced CPU & GFX & SFX boards + all SCSI CDR & HD back in those days, I think I spent over £5,000 on Amiga (for a teen & student that was a fortune!), now it's all prob worth about £300, I'm still thinking of putting my superAmiga one day on eBay or not)
See now how it helped C= & Amiga...those idiots! Last expense was the USB+RJ45 NIC Norway board... 250 euro for a USB1.1+10Mbit NIC (probably worth $2!!) and 55 euro for the Amiga Forever CD. That was probably my last euro invested in anything Amiga.
so Akira, you're not alone!

Last edited by dirkies; 31 January 2005 at 17:56.
Old 31 January 2005, 18:07   #18
derSammler

@dirkies: So it's worth using but not worth buying ? Sorry, but this is by far the most often used excuse. If you think it's not worth the money, then simply don't use it at all.

Besides, you can always buy a second-hand copy on eBay. It will be much cheaper...
Old 31 January 2005, 18:14   #19
dirkies
Zone Friend

well, I can't say I'm really using it! 3 hours in 6 months, just to see what it looked like, nothing more. All I did on Amiga, I am doing now on PC, it's purely for nostalgia reasons.
Old 31 January 2005, 20:17   #20
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
How about the internet, with a price of 0 quid? :P

Don't spend your cash in this. Don't feed Amiga Inc. or any Amiga Inc. supported project, their shitty atitude towards the real Amiga user is ure tosh.

This is my recommendation, do as you want.
MethodGit didn't ask if he should buy it or not......he asked where he could get it at a decent price. Your response is about you trying to force your own beliefs and agenda on others here and not about helping the original poster. Sorry, but this is the type of crap we see on ANN that is based on info. that people pull out of their arses as opposed to the actual facts. It's obvious you have not kept up with Amiga happenings since C= went under because so many of your responses on such topics are full of glaring inaccuracies, which only end up confusing people rather than helping them.

@MethodGit
Vesalia is probably as good as it gets price-wise for a new copy of OS 3.9. You can probably pick up a copy cheaper on Ebay. Alternatively, OS 3.5 is almost as good as 3.9 and can still be bought cheaply (around 10 UKP) from dealers or through Ebay. Happy bargain-hunting!