English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 December 2001, 09:04   #101
Blackjackel6

Send a message via ICQ to Blackjackel6
hasn't anyone got the amiga pod?

i notice everyone talking about pod hidden in lotus 3, doesn't anyone have pod on its own disk?
Old 01 April 2002, 23:26   #102
Traquer

my favourite has to be 'wings of death' on the amiga. i used to have this game, but unfortunatly played it to death in about '94

i have a game called 'z-out', which looks just like R-Type! are these the same game of is the similarity just coincidence?

Old 01 April 2002, 23:58   #103
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

MY fave shoot em up was on the PSOne. It was an import of a game called EINHANDER. (dunno if this has seedy German meaning or not)
A brilliant game that sadly for everyone else, never made it over here. (as far as I know)
It was a great 2D game that used 3D backgrounds. Very good looking.
On the Amiga it would have to be Project X, never managed to complete it though only got as far as the underwater level.
Old 02 April 2002, 00:26   #104
Djay
95th User

Project-X, because it was rock hard, featured a good mix of weapons, polished gfx and great music, all in a classic style!
Old 03 April 2002, 11:41   #105
Tim Janssen

Cool More shmups & POD

Lately I have discovered Ziriax on Amiga. This is one of the finest horizontal scrolling shmups I have played on this machine. -What a pleasant surprise.
If I had to choose the most playable shmup it would be Discovery's Hybris.

@Blackjackel6,
The only 'disc-only' POD release I remember is the one that came on a CU Amiga Coverdisc in September 1992.
Old 03 April 2002, 16:35   #106
Nian

Fave Shooter must be...

Truely the best Shooter on the amiga is Disposable Hero, It had great music kewl wepons and when you died you didn't loose your gear as you pick up new blueprints for weapons, not just a power up. and then you configure your ship in the service bubbles. So you have 20+ weapons to choose from in the end and 2 ships. THe bosses are kewl and varied the creatures vary in size, from small little sods to massive 1/4 screen monsters. You have lots of firepower and a good and reasonable amount of enemies, its quite playable and is with practice finishable. So unlike other games you can enjoy it right to the end and feal good about it because you do work hard to get there. The CD32 version has cdaudio for all the music so all 4 audio channels are free for sound effects so its awell worth having, I have the original so if someone tells me how to ISO up the game on a pc with the cdaudio mp3'd up I would be happy to stick it on a popular cd32 ftp site. Any directions welcome as I have around 20 cd32 games. that includes Super StarDust and other classics.

So anyway heres the first boss, and its the best grab I could do in this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disposableherol1boss.png
Views:	382
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	2114  
Old 03 April 2002, 22:30   #107
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Sounds like an awesome offer, dude. Let's begin with which CD burning software you have on your PC and go from there!
Old 04 April 2002, 02:05   #108
Nian

CD32 and Shooters.

Hrm well I only have Nero but I am happy to download a decent program that will make *.iso files, and to be honest I don't know whats good for cdaudio ripping and mp3ing either. It not that easy to find good software for the PC anymore. They seem to all want $30US for even the most basic of software.

Tell me what to use and where to get it and I will have a good stab at archiving up some games. Oh and on another thread someone was talking about RPG's like Eye of the Beholder, well I have LiberationCD32 too.
Old 04 April 2002, 03:40   #109
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I think Nero rocks, personally. It's all I use.

I have a Liberation CD32 ISO, as well. It's HUGE!
Old 04 April 2002, 06:36   #110
Nian

Nero?

Sorry Nero Is ok and I use it also, but it doesn't do standard *.iso files, it does its own format. also If I want to make the game smaller I need a way to iso up the first data track and mp3 up the audio tracks, too many of my cd32 games had close to 60minutes of music.
Old 05 April 2002, 05:47   #111
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Disposable Hero is GREAT , but I still think Apidya is THE horizontal shmup on Amiga...
If you never tried it, try it now, it's great.

Project X gotta be one of the most overrated shmups ever. It's good, but not all that great as some people like to say.

Stardust and Super Stardust are great if you like Asteroids alike games. IMO, it pushed the asteroids theme to its limits, better than the activision remake .

Z-Out is not the same game as R-Type, although they are very similar

Oh, and the shmup I am doing for PC it's going to be the best shmup ever...

Hmm.. tomorrow I may post 1 or 2 screenshots of it, in the off-topic forum
Old 05 April 2002, 10:06   #112
Nian

Heathen.

Ok ok so what you say that your making a Shootemup for the PC you realy mean for the PC and AMIGA right!?!? Otherwise its time to burn you at the stake, Heathen I say Heathen. And Apidya is pritty good but it is just too damned hard to realy be a pleasure to play, where as DHero is just hard enough but not TOOOO hard. Hey have you seen the Apidya Soundtrack CD? Its pritty good.
Old 06 April 2002, 05:46   #113
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Nah, Disposable Here is the one that's too easy

Just kidding, I think Apidya is as hard as , say, R-type ... it's much a matter of mastering each level ....

And I mean I am making a shmup only for PC ... yeah, sorry, I deserve to die in hell, and stuff but it will be a good game... I'll post more in the off-topic thread in a few minutes (after I finish reading all new posts )
Old 07 April 2002, 14:49   #114
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Wink

There are a couple more similarities to Z-out & R-type than you might think.
Z-out is a follow-up to X-out,another horizontally scrolling shoot-em-up.
And R-type,X-out & Z-out were all released by Rainbow Arts.
The irony about the R-type conversion,was that Rainbow Arts were threatened by a law-suit from Activision regarding another shoot-em-up they eventually released & renamed as Denaris.
(Programmed by Manfred Trenz for the C64,who went on to do the Turrican games).
Old 07 April 2002, 18:45   #115
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Manfrend Trenz also made the excellent Enforcer for C64, that was called "Katakis 2" for some people.

Enforcer is, IMO, one of the best, if not the best shmup available for C64
Old 08 April 2002, 03:30   #116
gooeyblob

My favourites include Jetpac first game I had with my brand new 16k Spectrum Best game Rare/Ultimate have ever made I reckon`s!
Flying Shark Spectrum/Arcade.Galaga Deluxe and Datastorm on the Amiga.
I don`t know how to insert images an stuff sorry
Last one would be Gynoug on the Genesis.
Them`s are the best ones I`ve played anyways, not played every one mentioned in here.

Old 08 April 2002, 05:08   #117
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I think Gynoug is a true gem that went very underrated .... the company that made it, Masnya, made some pretty good games that no one seems to know..
Old 08 April 2002, 23:03   #118
gooeyblob

Yes Gynoug was a gem.I preferred it to the overhyped Thunderforce games anyway.I notice I`ve used the name Genesis instead of MegaDrive. I don`t understand why they changed the name in Europe,Genesis is a much better name don`t you think?

Desert Strike was good but I don`t think that could be called a proper shmp?
Doom could be called a proper shmp tho?That would be the best if so

I like my shmp`s to give me a chance to think and not leave me feeling frustrated that i died despite not making a mistake.

Uridium deserves a mention too thats one C64 game that always made me jealous and unhappy with my Spectrum

Old 09 April 2002, 05:10   #119
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by gooeyblob

Desert Strike was good but I don`t think that could be called a proper shmp?
Doom could be called a proper shmp tho?That would be the best if so
No! Go to www.shmups.com and check the FAQ... As I always say, Desert Strike is a shooter, but not a SHMUP! And Doom is an FPS.
Old 09 April 2002, 05:21   #120
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Heh , good old shmups.com

The "genesis" was actually called Mega-Drive EVERYWHERE but in America . It was born with this name in Japan, and only in America they changed the name for some weird reason. I personally prefer Mega-Drive ...

There's an official version of Uridium for Spectrum too, and it's a pretty good version .if I remember correctly ...