English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 June 2002, 19:32   #61
Devious

Those Blair witch games on the pc scared the hell outta me. I dunno why but they was just some kind of atmosphere to them that freaked me out....Especially when i thought that the blair witch was real and not faked lol.

Old 23 June 2002, 09:48   #62
cray

I remember playing "It came from the desert" the first time on my amiga...
This thing really scared me. Especially the music in this one, i never again played a game in which music created such a tense atmosphere. When you looked at the map-screen - there was always the feeling of "something lurking out there"...
And these occasional encounters with the giant ants (on the farm eg), the ultra-hard escape from the hospital (i always thought this one would cause my first heart-attack) and the general feeling that you alone knew of those monsters...

This one was the scariest Amiga game for me!
Old 23 June 2002, 11:35   #63
Drake1009

I really ought to get back to playing that. I remember once sitting down to play whereafter it crashed on my A1200 And I've always been the kind of person who either gets along without save, or forgets to save.
Old 23 June 2002, 17:12   #64
Marcuz

well... when i was a kiddo: Eye of the beholder, when i was jumping on the chair everytime i heard the chirp of the spider just at my back in that white level...
And Elvira - Mistress of the dark, standing in every place for minutes trying to pospone death!
(in the sequel too)
Perihelion had some very spine-frozing twist too
But i think that the most fearsome was...
Anchorhead, a text adventure i played on winfrotz a couple of years ago, very well written with a Lovecraft paranoid cosmic sense.
I'm sure i'm missing something from the past that was far too horrible to remember. i'll get some time to recollect ideas...
Old 23 June 2002, 22:42   #65
Daz

System Shock 2 Shits me up more out of all of the games I've played that you all have mentioned...omg!

JOIN US......... erk...Pants..Wet.....Help.....
Old 24 June 2002, 00:05   #66
Drake1009

Your song is not ours.

I still liked System shock 1 better than system shock 2. They removed a darn lot of the interface when making sys shock 2. Made it annoying that you couldn't use all weapons and you had to ration space. In return they removed the alternate world which cyberspace was, and in exchange for the better 3D graphics they exchanged bucket loads of atmosphere. The small corridors of system shock 1 really added to the sense of claustrophobia while the corridors were too wide in sys shock 2.

Good things about system shock 2 was that it was more apparent what each area had been used for. And there were no mutated invisible things stalking you around darkened corridors. (what I got from the review, never made it that far)
Old 26 June 2002, 00:20   #67
Konrad

First that scared me was Elvira 1 - the jaws of cerberus. Ok, I was much younger back then. Later then Darkseed.

Today it's Aliens VS Predator 1. I darken my room, turn up the stereo and then I lsten to the sounds of the motion tracker.
Can't play longer than 1 hour though. Too much adrenaline...
Old 04 May 2004, 22:53   #68
Marcuz

up there in this thread i said that i was needing time to collect ideas... it was 23 june 2002! bah... almost 2 years to correct Konrad about Elvira... wich one 1 or 2?

i've just tought of Houd of Shadow... that was scarey! i played it a couple of years ago with the solutions in hands and not finished nevertheless.

it's curious that 2 title i've pointd at are textual adventures. this one and Anchorhead. ah the thaumaturgic power of the words...

there is also a 1980 or 81 game you can find at Underdogs, the game that start the whole first person dungeon crawling. the name is (if i remember right) Dungeon of the Wizard. likely some like that...
terribly hard and with the delicious feature of the heart beat rythm goin up and down causing you faint, passes out, prematurely death by collapse! even real 3d wireframed world! there are also some port of it for modern systems. check it out!

Last edited by Marcuz; 04 May 2004 at 23:03.
Old 04 May 2004, 23:13   #69
Drake1009

There were other games in the same series as hound of shadow. Apparently you could import characters from the other games. I'm curious what other games that were though.
Old 04 May 2004, 23:39   #70
Marcuz

after a quick search on hol i can state with neither the littlest hint of fear of being wrong that they are Projectyle and Under Pressure, by Eldritch The Cat

on Mobygames i've found:
"Where this game really shined, though, was in its character generation. It was an ambitious project that was meant to carry over to a game series called "Timeline" which alas never took off. You had to guide the character's career through WWI, professions, as he or she gets skill points to distribute. Not many games had skills at all, let alone the plethora of skills to choose from in this game. The graphics in this part were pretty cool."

and

"They tried again in the mid -90s with similar ideas in Daughter of Serpents. This game had similar character generation (which by then the idea of skill points was not new anymore)."
Old 05 May 2004, 01:08   #71
andyr

Alien Breed 3D is pretty scary. Especially the audio of the aliens - you can hear them but where the f**k are they.

Alien Breed 3D 2 is also scary - for different reasons (especially the bit where the system requirements are listed!)

Atmosphere wise, Clive Barkers Undying really does set the scene well. Very atmospheric but otherwise dull to play.

Couldn't get into resident evil - my m8 things it's the best thing ever but me, well I have my doubts. House of the dead 3 on xbox is pretty scary with things jumping out at you and the camera swinging round all the time. Good game though.

Lets' face it - we're all a bunch of wusses!
Old 05 May 2004, 09:02   #72
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1009
I only played AVP 1 and the AVP2 demo, but the demo had lost a lot of atmosphere compared to the first in my opinion. Sure it was dark and everything but still.
No f*cking way! AvP2 is a hell lot better than AvP in terms of atmospere. In AvP, the no of sprites that you have to face is very limited. On the other hand, AvP2 is just like Aliens; you are in Hell. Although AvP2 is nothing special in terms of a FPS, the atmospere makes it one of the best games for me. Just put the volume up and enjoy.

Anyway, my list of scariest games ever has as follows:

-Sillent Hill 1, 2, 3
-AvP2
-WaxWorks (the level in the mine is unbelievable)
-Clive Barker's The Undying
-It came from the Desert
Old 05 May 2004, 10:23   #73
Drake1009

I never got what was so scarey about silent hill 2. I've been playing it for about an hour and saw nothing scarey.

Undying was to me mostly another FPS game set in a trying to be scarey game.
Old 05 May 2004, 13:39   #74
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
I never got what was so scarey about silent hill 2. I've been playing it for about an hour and saw nothing scarey.
If you finish it and still feel the same then you are indeed well 'ard!

BTW I play it in the dark with headphones on, try that.
Old 05 May 2004, 16:21   #75
manicx

I agree Dastardly. SH2 is a very scary game. It's not so scary in the beginning but it is horrible after an hour or two. BTW, I think that SH3 is even scarier! Although, SH2 lets you enjoy some peaceful moments in the beginning, SH3 comes back to the SH1 horror and gets you dirrectly into dark rooms. Got some excellent connection to the the original story too. Now that I think of it, SH3 is just pure class. The levels where the walls are covered in fire are unique and very sick! SH4 will be out later this year...
Old 05 May 2004, 19:32   #76
BenniP
?

Quote:
Tim : - Fade to Black (PC): The aliens in this game have the habit to morph to you and suddenly appear in front of your face. The music also gets very bombastic in these moments.
Is "Fade to Black" the sequel to Flashback?

Last edited by Paul; 05 May 2004 at 19:40.
Old 05 May 2004, 19:34   #77
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Yep
Old 05 May 2004, 20:16   #78
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
there is also a 1980 or 81 game you can find at Underdogs, the game that start the whole first person dungeon crawling. the name is (if i remember right) Dungeon of the Wizard. likely some like that...
terribly hard and with the delicious feature of the heart beat rythm goin up and down causing you faint, passes out, prematurely death by collapse! even real 3d wireframed world! there are also some port of it for modern systems. check it out!
Dungeons of Daggorath, 1983
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3660
Old 05 May 2004, 23:47   #79
IFW

Silent Hill 2 storywise is genius, shame about the repetitive gameplay, some poor game mechanics, and short lifespan.
It is not really scary as a horror, apart from a few scenes most people are so used to real and movie violence, that it does not really matter.
On the other hand saying that it is a survival horror or comparing to Resident Evil and the like is just scratching the surface.
The game works on different layers of perception, the most obvious one is the genre, but it gets way much deeper than that.
Every scene, situation, monster and act is a reference to something deeper; the game is a rollercoaster ride of self-exploration.
Many of the things referenced are too subtle to notice while playing and only make sense when the game is finished. Also many players will only ever realise that they kill monsters, something to do to make it acceptable as a game for the mainstream, the story is way beyond what most games or gamers dare to enter, including one of the possible endings.
Quite possibly one of the finest piece of mystery, horror thriller ever seen in a game, just as carefully crafted as movies like Angel Heart, Flatliners or The Sixth Sense.
Actually a book or movie maybe a better medium right now for the story itself.

Despite its faults as a game, I am glad that I bought it for the surreal experience it gave.

For some explanation of the references used in the game:
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/f...ill_3_plot.txt
Only recommended after finishing the game, as it contains major spoilers.
Old 06 May 2004, 08:56   #80
manicx

Totally agree with the above. This site doesn't like to be linked from other sources. Just go to the site, make a search for Silent Hill 3 and find the line that has to do with the Silent Hill Plot...