English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 November 2019, 14:23   #1
digitalMedic

Question Recap power supply?

Hello Hardware GURUs,

I understand that many people are switching from the AT power supplies to ATX power supplies using adapters for their big box Miggys. Is it worth it to ever recap the original AT power supply?

Rick
Old 22 November 2019, 14:33   #2
Hewitson

I wouldn't bother, they don't deserve to be recapped. I suggest disassembling an ATX PSU and put the components inside the original CBM PSU case. Using a Meanwell could also be another option.
Old 04 December 2019, 02:51   #3
nikoskob

I have just recently recapped an A2000 power supply, also had to change out a burnt out voltage regulator, (TIC126M). It works a treat now, all voltages are good, and is still original.

I understand that it isn't as efficient, but its still original and good for another 10-20 years I suppose.
Old 04 December 2019, 06:40   #4
Damion

The original units work fine, it's certainly OK to keep them serviced and in use a while longer.
Old 04 December 2019, 19:40   #5
dschallock

has anyone done a video on this process? I am very interested in refurbishing original Amiga power supplies.
Old 04 December 2019, 21:44   #6
nikoskob

Jan Beta has done a video on recapping an A2000 power supply.

I watched it first incase there were any traps I should be aware of.

Just be careful when doing a power supply, due to the high voltages, very dangerous.

Otherwise, swapping out the caps is quite straight forward. I personally didn't swap out the 2 big power caps on the AC side, as they still good, might do that later down the track. The DC side caps are the important ones.

Just an FYI, the issue I had with mine, was that when powered on, I had a ticking sound coming from it. It was the regulator (I think that's what it is) close to the output cables, TIC126M. It had burnt out and was causing the ticking sound.

Also, when you are testing, make sure that you ground the board (I was testing with the board out of the shell, and didn't connect ground to the board , stupid mistake on my behalf), and also, make sure you put a load on at least the 5V rail.

I connected a 5W resistor I had lying around between the 5V and GND connectors on one of the Molex connectors.

Works a treat now

Good luck

If you need any more details, let me know.
Old 04 December 2019, 22:58   #7
dschallock

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05 December 2019, 09:25   #8
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoskob View Post
Otherwise, swapping out the caps is quite straight forward. I personally didn't swap out the 2 big power caps on the AC side, as they still good
How did you verify they were still good? If it wasn't with an ESR meter, then it was a completely pointless test
Old 06 December 2019, 02:34   #9
nikoskob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
How did you verify they were still good? If it wasn't with an ESR meter, then it was a completely pointless test
True, what I probably should have said, is that they are still good, for now, until I get the replacement caps.

I do have one of those cheap DIY component testers, and it tests ESR too, but, I don't trust it fully. I'll probably test them once I remove them though, just for kicks.