English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 October 2003, 22:31   #1
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Lightbulb Amiga <<>> PC file Transfer

The latest version of the Linux Kernel (2.6 Alpha 6) has AmigaFFS support and it is no longer in exprermental state.

Now I had a thought that if you needed to transfer lots from your PC to Amiga or visa versa then all you need to do is put the Amigas HD in your PC (a 2.5" external drive bay is the best idea) mount it, then you can copy whatever you want to, or from the drive).

Just a thought for large files or bigger scale work.

I am just compiling the new Kernel on my Laptop so I will report how it goes when I have it all set up.

Apparently you can also mount ADF files as drives too, which means you can easily copy from disk images to the Amiga drive.

Last edited by Enverex; 02 October 2003 at 22:59.
Old 02 October 2003, 23:46   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
alright for some

I'm on 2.4.21 here...
Old 02 October 2003, 23:54   #3
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Severin
alright for some

I'm on 2.4.21 here...
Then upgrade....... its not the hardest thing in the world
Old 03 October 2003, 04:48   #4
Miggy2TheMax

Thats how I transfered most of my files, it works great just compress your amiga files before transfering, just for sanity check. The only problem that I came across was when I tried to do this with an ICD drive, the drive was plugged into a 1.3 A500. I think the Partition table must be controller specific or something wierd like that (not sure) because when i tried to either read the partition table or mount the drive it would not work. If anyone can shed light on this one it would be pretty kewl, but its not do or die have other miggy with HD and 2.04, and all is well there.
Old 03 October 2003, 13:25   #5
Severin

Quote:
Originally posted by NightShade737
Then upgrade....... its not the hardest thing in the world
I did, last week to 2.4.21... PPC debian is a bit behind i86... and I need customized kernal as well, not just a straight re-compile job

I've heard rumours that 2.4.23 will be released soon though

For what your doing, my 2.4.19 version supports amiga RDB devices as does 2.4.21

But if I want to copy files from my A4000 to my A1-XE, I just ftp them through a LAN

The easiest way to transfer stuff from PC to 1200 is the bung a PCMCIA network card in the 1200, forget about samba etc. just set up an ftp server on the pc and log onto it from the amiga through miami/genesis/termiteTCP and AmiTradeCenter/AmFTP etc...
Old 03 October 2003, 13:31   #6
Severin

Quote:
Originally posted by Miggy2TheMax
The only problem that I came across was when I tried to do this with an ICD drive, the drive was plugged into a 1.3 A500. I think the Partition table must be controller specific or something wierd like that
Yep, most A500 (And early zorro boards)harddrive systems used their own partitioning tables / installation / partitioning software. Make a backup of the driver disk, it is specific to that make of controller. you will also find that most if not all of them are incompatible with the standard RDB setup and hdtoolbox
Old 03 October 2003, 21:51   #7
Amiga1992

I wonder if thsi filesystem could be added to Mac OS X, I would like to hook up the miggy drive to my iBook and then transfer teh shite through the LAN
Old 12 October 2003, 18:34   #8
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

If you had removable HD bay on Amiga and Linux box, and run LinUAE, you could access HD directly???

Currently getting Mandrake 9.2 RC2 down, so will try when done...

Wonder if you could make LinAmiga, like Lindows - only better Wouldn't mind trying on a dual 64bit machine... time for cold shower!
Old 12 October 2003, 18:48   #9
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Bah, my old 540MB Amiga drive really is dead, it even gives a different Name, ID and Serial number every time I plug it into my PC.

Oh well.

I cant get to my actual Amiga drive at the moment as my dad have moved everything back in the Attic to soundproof and finish the walls off so I can (eventually) move up there.

When I get it back I will check it out and see if it all works as planned......
Old 12 October 2003, 23:22   #10
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
haha, linMiga Ive heard lindows is pretty poo...
Old 13 October 2003, 10:11   #11
mtb

Re: Amiga <<>> PC file Transfer

Quote:
The latest version of the Linux Kernel (2.6 Alpha 6) has AmigaFFS support and it is no longer in exprermental state.

Now I had a thought that if you needed to transfer lots from your PC to Amiga or visa versa then all you need to do is put the Amigas HD in your PC (a 2.5" external drive bay is the best idea) mount it, then you can copy whatever you want to, or from the drive).

Just a thought for large files or bigger scale work.

I am just compiling the new Kernel on my Laptop so I will report how it goes when I have it all set up.

Apparently you can also mount ADF files as drives too, which means you can easily copy from disk images to the Amiga drive.
Even if experimental, works fine also with 2.4 ( sometimes it doesn't recognize a partition ( eg. hdb2 ) and you have to reboot, but it isn't a great problem for me ). Also with 2.4 i possible to mount adf disks.
Old 14 October 2003, 16:21   #12
Syko

If mtb's right, it looks like the LinAmiga is go...

Mojo; yea I thought of LinMiga, but figured if you don't hammer the point home, the PC crowd will never work it out OTOH, LinMiga wouldn't infringe any copyrights...
Old 14 October 2003, 16:53   #13
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
a new distro perhaps??
Old 15 October 2003, 11:22   #14
mtb

Quote:
Originally posted by Syko
If you had removable HD bay on Amiga and Linux box, and run LinUAE, you could access HD directly???

Currently getting Mandrake 9.2 RC2 down, so will try when done...

Wonder if you could make LinAmiga, like Lindows - only better Wouldn't mind trying on a dual 64bit machine... time for cold shower!
I dunno what is lindows, but note that linuae is far behind winuae, very far. No jit in primis ( there is a patch for 0.8.20, but nothing works, crashes always ), and also less stable.
Old 15 October 2003, 11:46   #15
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Lindows is a Dirstrobution of Linux that looks like windows and runs some Windows software, but failed as it was quite yak.
Old 16 October 2003, 11:11   #16
mtb

Quote:
Lindows is a Dirstrobution of Linux that looks like windows and runs some Windows software, but failed as it was quite yak.
So LinAmiga won't run very well amiga software, but it can resemble quite close the amiga look with for example the window manager called amiwm, the shell script from amigashell, the filemanager called worker. Also there are various themes for various window managers with an amiga-like look.
Old 16 October 2003, 11:36   #17
Syko

LindowsOS is a distro of Linux that uses Wine to run Windows s/w, the clever bit being that it can detect windows CD's, and autorun the installer through wine, giving virtualy transparent support. See here for details: http://www.lindows.com/ Walmart stock them in the US for $200... that's for an 800MHz Duron w/256MB RAM and onboard GFX, not the best spec ever, but it does everything most people need a computer for...

What I was thinking of, was having a minimum Linux install, running LinUAE. Yes I know they don't have Toni, so it's not as good as WinUAE but hey, you can't have everything, and this way you've effectively got AmigaOS running on fast as fuck h/w, big 3D cards, pro-quality sound cards, 100Mbs networks, the lot.

Because there's nothing but LinUAE running, there wouldn't be that much overhead, so you should get all the performance the emu can give... the other alternative would be to use the mini-version of Win98 with WinUAE, but that wouldn't be free and BG ain't likely to give permission...
Old 16 October 2003, 11:53   #18
mtb

Quote:
LindowsOS is a distro of Linux that uses Wine to run Windows s/w, the clever bit being that it can detect windows CD's, and autorun the installer through wine, giving virtualy transparent support. See here for details: http://www.lindows.com/ Walmart stock them in the US for $200... that's for an 800MHz Duron w/256MB RAM and onboard GFX, not the best spec ever, but it does everything most people need a computer for...

What I was thinking of, was having a minimum Linux install, running LinUAE. Yes I know they don't have Toni, so it's not as good as WinUAE but hey, you can't have everything, and this way you've effectively got AmigaOS running on fast as fuck h/w, big 3D cards, pro-quality sound cards, 100Mbs networks, the lot.

Because there's nothing but LinUAE running, there wouldn't be that much overhead, so you should get all the performance the emu can give... the other alternative would be to use the mini-version of Win98 with WinUAE, but that wouldn't be free and BG ain't likely to give permission...
I have understood what you want to do, but all the performance the emu can give are not far from a std 4000 ( cpu faster but overall similar for what i remember ) on my p4 1800.

The idea is good, but the results are not so good imo.

But if you try it let me know your impressions.
Old 20 October 2003, 14:48   #19
Syko

With WinXP Pro, Athlon1800, 512MB RAM, clocked GF3; I'm getting an 600MHz 68040 acording to the benchmarks (If I remember right...) and I'm pretty sure that's a little quicker than the 68040/40 in my A4000.....

and the p96 speed shows increased performance almost everywere as well...

without the performance overhead of XP, I reckon it should be even faster... Unfortunately LinUAE isn't as advanced as WinUAE coz Toni's the best!

Still, can't have everything!
Old 08 November 2003, 14:24   #20
mtb

Quote:
With WinXP Pro, Athlon1800, 512MB RAM, clocked GF3; I'm getting an 600MHz 68040 acording to the benchmarks (If I remember right...) and I'm pretty sure that's a little quicker than the 68040/40 in my A4000.....

and the p96 speed shows increased performance almost everywere as well...

without the performance overhead of XP, I reckon it should be even faster... Unfortunately LinUAE isn't as advanced as WinUAE coz Toni's the best!

Still, can't have everything!
Take a look @ this project, seems really interesting.

I have tried it for few minutes and jit has not crashed . Note that takes a lot of time to compile with jit, if you are not experienced is better if you download the pre-compiled binary.