English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 April 2009, 09:22   #1
kirk
Zone Friend

are save states really compatible?

hi,
im wondering if i take a save state from winuae on one pc and put it on another winuae pc with the exact same winuae/config settings etc, with the only difference being the screen resolutions in the configs, will i run into probs (ive tried it and all seems fine, but i keep worrying probs may surface later).

basically, what does a save state (uss file) actually save, does it save any config settings in any way ?, if it does not then i can transfer save states with no worries.

cheers
Old 08 April 2009, 09:33   #2
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
hi,
im wondering if i take a save state from winuae on one pc and put it on another winuae pc with the exact same winuae/config settings etc, with the only difference being the screen resolutions in the configs, will i run into probs (ive tried it and all seems fine, but i keep worrying probs may surface later).
Simple answer : No If you run into problems it would be the same on the PC where you made the savestate too. Since you can load a savestate even without a config loaded, that doesn't matter either. You might need to adjust the screen settings, but that's all
Old 08 April 2009, 13:07   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

They are compatible (but they may not be backwards compatible).

Newer winuae versions automatically read the hardware config from statefiles, very old versions need exact configuration loaded first.
Old 08 April 2009, 14:57   #4
jharrison

if you are using savestates post-WinUAE 1.0, you should be okay
Old 08 April 2009, 21:08   #5
kirk
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
They are compatible (but they may not be backwards compatible).

Newer winuae versions automatically read the hardware config from statefiles, very old versions need exact configuration loaded first.

hmmm, im getting to the nub now (i cud be barking up the wrong tree here,but here goes !),----
so that means if i use winuae 1.5.3, save a state, then to run it on another pc that pc wud need the exact same config settings (which may not be completely possible because the newer winuae configs have more settings to fiddle with) ?

this is very interesting and is begining to make me think the winuae 1.2 that i mainly use is easier to swap save state files in and out of ?

cud u please tell me from what version winuae started to read config in statefiles, after 1.2 ? cheers.
Old 08 April 2009, 21:23   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It happened before 1.2. Don't remember exact version..

Just use latest and complain here if something stops working, much more productive
Old 08 April 2009, 21:54   #7
kirk
Zone Friend

a valid point, but it cud be ages till certain probs surface and meanwhile im thinking the game cud crash just as im about get my best ever score !, i wud be paranoid about dipping into my fav games because of the uncertainty !.

(thats why i luv winuae, it allows me to save scores, something i cud never do in the old amiga days cos very few games, if hardly any, let u save your scores, why not ?, i used to shout, i got a letter printed in amiga power bemoaning this very fact,
but nowt changed and developers still did not include score saving options, i remember getting battle squadron at full price and bieng livid that it did not save scores even though many had complained to the developers when its prequel, hybris had not saved scores (a cardinal sin in a shooter as far as im concerned)