English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 30 October 2020, 06:39   #1
Nightfox

Copper lists not on chip ram?

The ROM kernel reference manual says user copper lists do not have to be in chip ram which makes no sense to me. When creating copper lists by hardware assembly coding the copper list needs to be in chip ram. Why does a user copper list when doing systems programming not require it to be in chip ram?
Old 30 October 2020, 07:33   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
User copper lists are in a bytecode. Real copper lists are generated by MrgCop() which translates the bytecodes of several sources into one copper list in Chip RAM. It's redundant and slow.
Old 30 October 2020, 09:48   #3
Thomas Richter

This is not rendundant, but necessary. The graphics.library holds three copper lists per viewport: The regular copper list that is responsible for filling the bitplane addresses and the screen colors, the copper list for the vsprite system, and the user copper list. All have different sources. Furthermore, more than one viewport can be placed on the view at a time, so the copper lists have to be merged into one. Now tell me how to do that without an intermediate representation.
Old 30 October 2020, 12:56   #4
roondar

Honestly, I've always thought that the OS way of handling many intersecting Copperlists on a single display was pretty good. The idea of a user Copper list makes sense, as does the idea of having an intermediate format to facilitate the merging process.

I obviously have no idea about how it's implemented under the hood, but the idea seems sound to me.
Old 30 October 2020, 14:45   #5
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

I'm working on a replacement that uses a single node starting with a CWAIT equivalent and a variable number of CMOVEs stored as a variable-length structure. The reason for this is to allow merges to be promoted to full natural merge sort based on screen position.
Old 30 October 2020, 18:06   #6
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
I'm working on a replacement that uses a single node starting with a CWAIT equivalent and a variable number of CMOVEs stored as a variable-length structure. The reason for this is to allow merges to be promoted to full natural merge sort based on screen position.
Well, try your luck, but it's less obvious than it seems. The graphics.library received an update in v37 where some operations such as SetRGB32() no longer go through the intermediate copper list and MrgCop(), but directly poke the screen copperlist.

This sounds trivial at first, but the problem here is that the copper wait instruction only receives the Y position modulo 256, and if there is any larger Y you have to wait for, you first have to wait for the last line (or a line larger than your Y), and then for the final position, potentially multiple times. This function was written in assembly, and - honestly - is close to incomprehensible.

So, sure, as you please, but "dragons be there".

As a side remark, one of the memory trashes and bugs we fixed in 3.1.4 was related to a "seemingly smart" caching of pointers that help to speed up copper processing if you just want to scroll the screen or move the sprite. Graphics keeps "cache pointers" for this in order not to go through a full MrgCop() once again. But unfortunately, in some situations missed to update the cache pointers that point to the right entry in the copper list, then trashing memory.
Old 30 October 2020, 18:23   #7
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Well, try your luck, but it's less obvious than it seems. The graphics.library received an update in v37 where some operations such as SetRGB32() no longer go through the intermediate copper list and MrgCop(), but directly poke the screen copperlist.

This sounds trivial at first, but the problem here is that the copper wait instruction only receives the Y position modulo 256, and if there is any larger Y you have to wait for, you first have to wait for the last line (or a line larger than your Y), and then for the final position, potentially multiple times. This function was written in assembly, and - honestly - is close to incomprehensible.

So, sure, as you please, but "dragons be there".

As a side remark, one of the memory trashes and bugs we fixed in 3.1.4 was related to a "seemingly smart" caching of pointers that help to speed up copper processing if you just want to scroll the screen or move the sprite. Graphics keeps "cache pointers" for this in order not to go through a full MrgCop() once again. But unfortunately, in some situations missed to update the cache pointers that point to the right entry in the copper list, then trashing memory.
Mine is not backwards compatible at all. It's aiming to replace the View, ViewPort, ExtView, ExtViewPort, ColorMap and Sprite allocation and usage completely. In a future version, I may rework QBlit and friends and replace all of Graphics.library with VideoFX.library outright.

My complaint about CMOVE is that it does its translation at runtime rather than using preprocessor macros. Also, being able to sort whole sections of copper lists by their screen position opens up much flexibility for out-of-order encoding.

Without a doubt, Graphics.library is probably the weakest link with regard to chipset utilization. How do you add additional sprites when the allocation bitfields are stored in a UBYTE? Don't even get me started!

Edit:

On second thought, I'll probably keep the blitter controls the way they are so I don't need to rewrite the clipping routines and Layers.library. The only thing missing from QBlit is batch rendering support so I can just issue multiple blit nodes.

Last edited by Samurai_Crow; 30 October 2020 at 18:47.