English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 12 May 2018, 14:32   #21
Megol

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
You can buy a new A1200 keyboard membrane quite cheap (give it a Google). The keys in mine were much more responsive after I replaced it. I'd even tried roughing up the carbon contacts on the old membrane but that hadn't helped.
Be very careful when doing something like that! IME it's very easy to worsen the contacts and very hard to get them better.
Old 12 May 2018, 16:41   #22
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
What are the odds that just a few individuals bought the whole stock?
Quite high I'm sure. Won't be surprised if we start seeing them on Ebay at highly inflated prices.

Anyway Aaron at Amiga on the Lake has a pre-order page for it. I had a little bit of trouble ordering one due to the ordering page not listing Australia as a country but I flicked him an email and he was super helpful. He will be sending me a Paypal invoice soon so I can get one ordered. I probably suggest pre-ordering one from there or sending him an email. His cases are due to come in the first week of June, but I don't mind waiting a little bit longer knowing I've secured one.

Last edited by sean_sk; 12 May 2018 at 17:05.
Old 14 May 2018, 21:54   #23
jediknight

why should they release files so people can make there own i say support them and just buy it.
Old 15 May 2018, 00:12   #24
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
why should they release files so people can make there own i say support them and just buy it.

First of all, it was a stretch goal that was reached, so basically, they promised to release the files.. thats reason enough.. but

Secondly,.. I doubt people are going to 3d print big A1200 cases any time soon. With average consumer printers, it would take forever to print and would look like shit compared to injection molding.

However.. Having the CAD files allows you to model your own smaller stuff that will fit into the case perfectly without having to do tedious measurements of your own.... Stuff like, various adapters, card holders, various back plates, or whatever..
Old 16 May 2018, 10:31   #25
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
First of all, it was a stretch goal that was reached, so basically, they promised to release the files.. thats reason enough.. but

Secondly,.. I doubt people are going to 3d print big A1200 cases any time soon. With average consumer printers, it would take forever to print and would look like shit compared to injection molding.

However.. Having the CAD files allows you to model your own smaller stuff that will fit into the case perfectly without having to do tedious measurements of your own.... Stuff like, various adapters, card holders, various back plates, or whatever..

I had started to model up parts my battered Amiga 600 case as ALL the clips are broken on the rear edge. the plan is to 3D print some clips that can be glued in place to locate in the little grooves on the top case.
I'd need to model up part of the case though to design a clip that fits snugly in place.
I did think of modelling up the entire case as it doesn't seem too hard to do. It would be interesting to see a full scale 3d printed case but mine only does a 4" cube, so it would be glued together in bits. Though if anyone has a big enough printer (maybe possible for the smaller A600) you can get a plastic moulding finish from using ABS filament and acetone vapour.
Old 16 May 2018, 12:25   #26
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
I had started to model up parts my battered Amiga 600 case as ALL the clips are broken on the rear edge. the plan is to 3D print some clips that can be glued in place to locate in the little grooves on the top case.
I'd need to model up part of the case though to design a clip that fits snugly in place.
I did think of modelling up the entire case as it doesn't seem too hard to do. It would be interesting to see a full scale 3d printed case but mine only does a 4" cube, so it would be glued together in bits. Though if anyone has a big enough printer (maybe possible for the smaller A600) you can get a plastic moulding finish from using ABS filament and acetone vapour.

I hate the A600 case, those clips are horribly designed. Hower, I still think that simply buying a decent case on ebay (or whatever local place) is the simplest solution for you unless you like to spend time on a challenge.. Gluing with some sort of epoxy might work for you howeever..
(Example of cheap case)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-600-C...item1cab124aeb

I also have a 3d printer with small print area (21x21x21) so Amiga cases are out of the question, but yea with big and good enough printer you could probably get something that looks decent.. Isnt that how they do the current prototypes anyway?

Modeling a case might sound easy (if yu have the software and the skills), but I'd worry about the measurements. Getting them spot on down to sub-milimeter precision is a daunting task unless you have access to a €20-50,000 3d scanner..
Old 16 May 2018, 12:41   #27
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I hate the A600 case, those clips are horribly designed. Hower, I still think that simply buying a decent case on ebay (or whatever local place) is the simplest solution for you unless you like to spend time on a challenge.. Gluing with some sort of epoxy might work for you howeever..
(Example of cheap case)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-600-C...item1cab124aeb

I also have a 3d printer with small print area (21x21x21) so Amiga cases are out of the question, but yea with big and good enough printer you could probably get something that looks decent.. Isnt that how they do the current prototypes anyway?

Modeling a case might sound easy (if yu have the software and the skills), but I'd worry about the measurements. Getting them spot on down to sub-milimeter precision is a daunting task unless you have access to a €20-50,000 3d scanner..

Modelling the case shouldn't be too difficult, I imagine the original mould was manufactured to a scale drawing of some sort and the measurements I've taken so far just using a set of vernier callipers and a steel rule are all round off metric measurements. I have actually copied more complicated items in the past with accurate results.
The 3d Cad model could also be modified and scaled down to fit a Raspberry Pi in it (Which has bee done for the A500). A working keyboard scaled to fit would be a challenge though...But not impossible! I reckon I could copy the membrane which could be scaled down to a smaller size!

As for buying parts from Antony (that link)... Hmmm I don't think I'll be giving him anymore of my business in the future!
Old 18 May 2018, 13:25   #28
amigakit.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post
At least you were notified. I did not even get the email I was promised.
We will have some at Amiga Kit next month (stock is still on a ship somewhere sailing towards us!).

Email us and I will put you down on the list.

Thanks
Old 18 May 2018, 14:02   #29
Valken

I was just thinking how cool this would be if it included a matching KB, Mouse and stick a standalone Vampire in it.
Old 29 May 2018, 21:22   #30
Cloudane

Gutted that I missed the A1200 cases.... twice.... That's what I get for not keeping a close eye on the Amiga scene!

Edit: Just on time a reply came in, fingers crossed for one from AmigaKit
Old 29 May 2018, 21:28   #31
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
Gutted that I missed the A1200 cases.... twice.... That's what I get for not keeping a close eye on the Amiga scene!
If you hurry, you can still get in on an A500(+) case:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...us-computers#/

Only one day left, so what are you waiting for?
Old 29 May 2018, 21:35   #32
Cloudane

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
If you hurry, you can still get in on an A500(+) case:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...us-computers#/

Only one day left, so what are you waiting for?
Yep just did that an hour or so ago... not taking any chances (Now a case of keeping an eye out for the key caps rerun)

That's if it makes it. Needs another $14k worth of backers...
Old 31 May 2018, 03:38   #33
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
We will have some at Amiga Kit next month (stock is still on a ship somewhere sailing towards us!).

Thanks
I emailed last night, sorry maybe I'm too impatient but havnt received a response, mainly wondering if its ok to email with a "please reserve me a black a1200 case for when its available." email? If so im fine waiting for a response
Old 31 May 2018, 06:33   #34
demolition
Unregistered User

110% and more than 15k USD past the goal with 2 hours left. What a second wind it got, so now I can look forward to getting my new cases, although I will have to be patient.
Old 07 June 2018, 01:22   #35
lmimmfn

Quote:

Thanks
Still no response for me, is this a thing, i.e. is there a list?
Old 07 June 2018, 03:58   #36
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Absolutely appalling customer service from Amigakit.
Used their "Contact Us" form to find out price of the A1200 cases and two weeks later still no response.
Old 07 June 2018, 18:49   #37
Mr.Flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_skroht View Post
Absolutely appalling customer service from Amigakit.
Used their "Contact Us" form to find out price of the A1200 cases and two weeks later still no response.
Give amigastore.eu a go? http://amigastore.eu/en/468-brand-ne...new-molds.html
Old 07 June 2018, 20:41   #38
jdryyz

Glad to hear. I did not know you would be carrying them also. I cannot find a link on your site, however. Can you post one here?

Quote:

Thanks
Old 08 June 2018, 02:42   #39
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble View Post

I refuse to give them a go as well. Received an email from them in May to say they were in stock only to find they weren't. All it takes is for these guys to have the forethought to put up a pre-order page, yet neither they nor Amigakit have done it yet. You would think for such a high demand item they would. Go figure.

Anyway "Amiga On The Lake" were the only sensible ones to have a pre-order page and Aaron from AOTL bent over backwards to get an A1200 case reserved for me. Best customer service I have dealt with.

Last edited by sean_sk; 08 June 2018 at 02:49.
Old 08 June 2018, 09:52   #40
Mr.Flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_skroht View Post
I refuse to give them a go as well. Received an email from them in May to say they were in stock only to find they weren't. All it takes is for these guys to have the forethought to put up a pre-order page, yet neither they nor Amigakit have done it yet. You would think for such a high demand item they would. Go figure.

Anyway "Amiga On The Lake" were the only sensible ones to have a pre-order page and Aaron from AOTL bent over backwards to get an A1200 case reserved for me. Best customer service I have dealt with.
Urgh, that sucks

I have no idea why these companies get it so wrong so often, but good to know AOTL have been good to deal with