Old 13 January 2008, 16:44   #1
NLS
Ancient User

Emulators - Registry / .CFG / .INI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
/me still likes the registry method though

why?

because it is a method MS chose to makes portable non portable and computers getting slow by the day with no real explanation of why?
Old 13 January 2008, 19:54   #2
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
why?
Personal decision really...

I know that not everyone is comfortable with using the registry but I am and enjoy tinkering around plus find it neater IMHO. I like the way it's spilt into keys / sub-keys etc...

Anyway, Toni has kindly implemented both methods. Use whatever you're comfortable with

Last edited by DamienD; 13 January 2008 at 20:01.
Old 13 January 2008, 20:20   #3
NLS
Ancient User

just a note (not an argument Toni): I never said I am not comfortable with registry (I make money from the PC, so couldn't be otherwise), I just said I hate it (or something close)

...some mod (Damien) could just split those posts we wrote here from the .ini thread so that Toni won't get too annoyed...

BUT going back to the thread (so you see how my original comment fits here), all my emulators are on an external hard disk and usually take them with me wherever I go that there is a working PC - using registry (and in fact having an installation script) comes in conflict with portability whatsoever (which is a bad thing - thats no argument)

for some reason, winuae manages to work anyway (even before the .ini implementation)

(my proposal to split the topic still goes - both Toni and you can do it, being mods, so why get annoyed?)
Old 13 January 2008, 20:49   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
all my emulators are on an external hard disk and usually take them with me wherever I go that there is a working PC - using registry (and in fact having an installation script) comes in conflict with portability whatsoever (which is a bad thing - thats no argument)

for some reason, winuae manages to work anyway (even before the .ini implementation)
I understand what you're trying to say here... but even .INI files will not be portable if relative path settings are not used inside

I must say that the worst possible option are .CFG files that are encrypted. When I created my SNES DVD I used 2 different emulators; Snes9x and ZSnes...

Snes9x is registry based while ZSnes is .CFG / DAT based. My SNES DVD has various settings that the user can select from relating to display / controls etc... With Snes9x it's easy to edit a few registry changes while with ZSnes I had to create seperate .CFG / .DAT files for each setting
Old 15 January 2008, 11:08   #5
NLS
Ancient User

I agree, encrypted cfg suck.
Usually they do it when they want to "hide" some "internal" variables or to conserve space (both stupid reasons).

If registry haven't grown to be the monster it is, I wouldn't be so against, but in the end (and as an original Amigan) a folder containing an application should be the application's kingdom. You move the folder, you move the application and settings. Simple.