English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 20 October 2019, 07:05   #1
pgovotsos
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: US
Posts: 258
Apparently iComp and Cloanto have resolved some of their issues

See today's entry on Jens' blog

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/33/items/p96-v2-4-3-published.html
pgovotsos is offline  
Old 20 October 2019, 08:49   #2
honx
Registered User

honx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Klagenfurt / Austria
Posts: 1,311
the problem with new versions of p96 is: with every download the download counter goes down.
honx is offline  
Old 20 October 2019, 10:14   #3
tero
Registered User

tero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: M'Gladbach
Age: 42
Posts: 591
They will reset the counter if you ask them.
tero is online now  
Old 20 October 2019, 10:53   #4
hUMUNGUs
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: T√łnsberg / Norway
Posts: 41
7 downloads left.. what does that even mean . . . . if you buy a product, you should be able to download it as many times as you want..
hUMUNGUs is offline  
Old 20 October 2019, 12:09   #5
Hewitson
Registered User
Hewitson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 37
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hUMUNGUs View Post
7 downloads left.. what does that even mean . . . . if you buy a product, you should be able to download it as many times as you want..
You should be able to, but this is Invididual Computers we're talking about.
Hewitson is offline  
Old 20 October 2019, 21:05   #6
talybont
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norway
Posts: 142
"No downloads for you!" (paraphrasing famous Seinfeld character)
talybont is offline  
Old 20 October 2019, 22:13   #7
hUMUNGUs
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: T√łnsberg / Norway
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by talybont View Post
"No downloads for you!" (paraphrasing famous Seinfeld character)
haha.. the Soup Nazi :-)
hUMUNGUs is offline  
Old 22 October 2019, 15:26   #8
lesta_smsc
Registered User

lesta_smsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,990
Since it is free for those who need it... as an update anyway, can it not be shared should the download option really come to an end?
lesta_smsc is offline  
Old 22 October 2019, 17:18   #9
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Unkown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Last Seen In Purgatory!
Age: 53
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hUMUNGUs View Post
7 downloads left.. what does that even mean . . . . if you buy a product, you should be able to download it as many times as you want..

Why not back it up some place safe ? then you can download it as many times as you like, one would have thougt this would have been the way to by pass the download limit ?
Unkown is offline  
Old 22 October 2019, 17:32   #10
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 4,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Since it is free for those who need it... as an update anyway, can it not be shared should the download option really come to an end?
What do you mean? It's a paid-for update to the older shareware version of P96, so I don't see why it should be freely available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
Why not back it up some place safe ? then you can download it as many times as you like, one would have thougt this would have been the way to by pass the download limit ?
Indeed, I prefer physical media myself, but whenever I've bought digital content of any kind, I've always made a couple of backups of it, just in case whatever store I bought it from goes belly up, or the product isn't available or supported any more. It has happened, and it also saves faff trying to remember login details from years ago.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 22 October 2019, 21:04   #11
Locutus
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 969
so does that mean that after a couple more bug fixes you have to buy a new license? :-)

Truly 21st century stuff.
Locutus is offline  
Old 23 October 2019, 09:13   #12
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Steril707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Amiga Island
Posts: 1,089
Somebody who is working on it wants some money for his/her work.

Not some entirely new concept, if you ask me..
Steril707 is offline  
Old 23 October 2019, 09:23   #13
Hewitson
Registered User
Hewitson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 37
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
so does that mean that after a couple more bug fixes you have to buy a new license? :-)
Probably. Jens Schoenfeld is a greedy prick.
Hewitson is offline  
Old 23 October 2019, 10:37   #14
trixster
Guru Meditating

 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: England
Posts: 1,477
Should hear what they say about you
trixster is offline  
Old 23 October 2019, 11:50   #15
roondar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
so does that mean that after a couple more bug fixes you have to buy a new license? :-)

Truly 21st century stuff.
Of course not.

As already stated, should the 10 downloads ever not be enough they'll reset it for you. What hasn't been stated but is (AFAIK) also true is that they'll reset the counter on updates.

This is obviously not there to stop legitimate customers accessing their stuff, but rather to stop people buying a single license and sharing the download link to a thousand others. Nothing more. No evil conspiracy
roondar is offline  
Old 27 October 2019, 10:11   #16
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Italy
Age: 31
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
This is obviously not there to stop legitimate customers accessing their stuff, but rather to stop people buying a single license and sharing the download link to a thousand others. Nothing more. No evil conspiracy
Can't someone just download it once from iComp then put it on MEGA, or some torrent and thus share it with thousand others, even with the current system in place?

This just looks like one of those obtuse DRMs you see in modern games. They don't stop piracy, but they sure as heck annoy legit purchasers.
jbenam is offline  
Old 27 October 2019, 10:25   #17
Thomas Richter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Can't someone just download it once from iComp then put it on MEGA, or some torrent and thus share it with thousand others, even with the current system in place?
*Sigh*. "Software is worthless." P96 was a lot of work, by Tobias and Alex, and they have been paid off by Jens, so clearly, he wants his money back - and rightfully so. Can you please tell me why you consider a piece of software you need of such little value that you don't consider it to be worth of buying, for as little money as it is offered? Actually, can you give a reason why anyone should actually develop or maintain software on the Amiga with users having this attitude?
Thomas Richter is offline  
Old 27 October 2019, 11:15   #18
robinsonb5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
*Sigh*. "Software is worthless." P96 was a lot of work, by Tobias and Alex, and they have been paid off by Jens, so clearly, he wants his money back - and rightfully so. Can you please tell me why you consider a piece of software you need of such little value that you don't consider it to be worth of buying, for as little money as it is offered? Actually, can you give a reason why anyone should actually develop or maintain software on the Amiga with users having this attitude?

Just to be clear, because it might not be obvious from reading his post in isolation rather than in the context of the whole thread:
jbenam wasn't requesting that someone share P96 on Mega or a torrent site, or saying that somebody *should* do so - merely pointing out that the download limit system doesn't prevent anyone from doing this, so doesn't appear to be a very effective anti-piracy measure.
robinsonb5 is offline  
Old 27 October 2019, 11:22   #19
OlafSch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nuernberg
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Just to be clear, because it might not be obvious from reading his post in isolation rather than in the context of the whole thread:
jbenam wasn't requesting that someone share P96 on Mega or a torrent site, or saying that somebody *should* do so - merely pointing out that the download limit system doesn't prevent anyone from doing this, so doesn't appear to be a very effective anti-piracy measure.
yes you are right
OlafSch is offline  
Old 27 October 2019, 15:22   #20
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

malko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CH
Posts: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
*Sigh*. "Software is worthless." P96 was a lot of work, by Tobias and Alex, and they have been paid off by Jens, so clearly, he wants his money back - and rightfully so. Can you please tell me why you consider a piece of software you need of such little value that you don't consider it to be worth of buying, for as little money as it is offered? Actually, can you give a reason why anyone should actually develop or maintain software on the Amiga with users having this attitude?
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Can't someone just download it once from iComp then put it on MEGA, or some torrent and thus share it with thousand others, even with the current system in place?

This just looks like one of those obtuse DRMs you see in modern games. They don't stop piracy, but they sure as heck annoy legit purchasers.
Just to be clear, because it might not be obvious from reading his post in isolation rather than in the context of the whole thread: [...]
Even in the context of the whole thread it's not really obvious... So let's just say it was a bad formulation.
malko is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has icomp officially given up on Amiga Reloaded? eXeler0 Amiga scene 116 16 March 2019 12:52
iComp confirms ownership of P96 Lizard News 89 24 January 2019 00:31
(Apparently) corrupted hard disk images Maren support.WinUAE 6 28 July 2011 16:57
Finally! Resolved two of my longest standing issues!!! fitzsteve support.Hardware 6 23 January 2011 20:53
AGA not recognized (apparently) in winuae 1.4.0 amiga support.WinUAE 3 11 March 2007 18:58

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09835 seconds with 13 queries