English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 14 September 2005, 15:35   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Psp Uae

Has anyone tried this emu out yet?

Ive read that it 'overclocks' the CPU to 333mhz on more than 1 site but Ive also been told at Lemon that it doesnt overclock it. Yes or no?

Whats the quality of the emulation like at this stage? and will I be endangering my new toy by running this emu?

Id appreciate hearing about anyones experience with this emu.

Cheers
Old 14 September 2005, 22:32   #2
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

From the README.TXT

Quote:
WARNING: This game sets the PSP CPU speed to 333mhz! Even though no problems have been seen by overclocking the PSP CPU to 333mhz, you've been warned. The author can not be held responsible for any damage caused to your PSP...
Old 15 September 2005, 00:51   #3
redblade
Zone Friend

what firmware you running ? V1.0 or V1.50.

the official PSP's in .nz were shipped with V1.52 with a V2.00 upgrade on the demo disc. So at the moment i'm still on the V1.52 firmware.
Old 15 September 2005, 06:40   #4
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Me? I have a US 1.50.
Old 15 September 2005, 08:52   #5
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Given U have to use frameskip a fair bit I suggest U use the Atari ST emu. Castaway, which is being regularly updated by Skeezix who wrote same for Zodiac, GP32, Palm etc. It looks good!
Old 15 September 2005, 08:52   #6
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolescent
From the README.TXT
Yeah that was what I was referring to when I said Id read about it on more than one site.

Ive since been told that this overclocking isnt the case and that the PSP has a 333mhz processor but there are no commercial games made to take advantage of this because it eats up the battery.

So all Im trying to do it get the facts.

Does UAE for the PSP overclock the machine or not?
Old 26 February 2006, 16:40   #7
EmuChicken

From what I have read in other emulators, they can all overclock the processor, but it does eat the battery faster than usual. - HOWEVER, PSPs were designed to have a 333mhz cpu, so the machine is actually UNDERCLOCKED as stock! - Should be safe!
Old 26 February 2006, 16:59   #8
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

I run my PSP overclocked almost every day and nothing have happend. It doesn't even get warm. It's completely safe!
Old 26 February 2006, 19:02   #9
Daniel

Yep i agree,

The psp is designed to run at 333 mhz, I only use this speed when im using emulators, mainly Snes.

The amiga emu is 1 of the best that i have come across, Im currently playing Colonization on my Amiga 600 i transferred my save game to my pc and then to my psp and just carried on were i left off, Fxxking awesome.

Also playing Alien Breed in the palm of your hand anywere is unbeatable

Old 01 March 2006, 15:13   #10
cv643d

I would not touch PSP-UAE again, to slow.
Old 01 March 2006, 17:58   #11
Daniel

im currently playing alien breed and it runs very fast, I have disabled sound though maybe thats why, But im sure things will improve with the next release
Old 01 March 2006, 21:17   #12
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

All we can hope for is that the devs are still working on it. Their forum seems to be down.
Old 01 March 2006, 22:01   #13
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Xbox Winuaex

Hi
iv'e said here before regarding the Xbox version of winuae - perfect as far as i'm concerned.

100% running speed too and you don't need to disable sound to get that.

You can give additional cpu speed for the slower polygon games or those 2d's that sometimes struggle a bit.

While i agree that owing a real machine is mostly the best way to enjoy your fave machine , Winuaex is so simple and impressive that i choose not to use my real Amiga 1200 but store all my games on the xbox hardrive using WHD also.

Full respect to the author of the PC emulator from which the xbox version was ported as it is surely one of the best emulators there is (maybe even the best), but i must admit to actually prefering the port to xbox probably because it feels more authentic to be playing on a TV as opposed to a monitor.I did have a monitor actually that i mostly played my A1200 on but i find that with the pc monitor clear though it is , movement and scrolling is less accurate than when compared to a real Amiga ie it's refreshes out of sync.It's probably achievable on pc but all i ever got was a smooth blur in the scrolling though not juddery it was never clear smooth movement.It is however 100% on xbox without the need to hassle any getting it like this.

Anyway get an Xbox to play the amiga as it's surely more fun than seeing your fave game reduced to low frames with out sound.The PSP version i'm sure is worth getting mind if you want to experience an Amiga in your hand but please consider winuaex if you want the better experience.

I love Amiga
Old 02 March 2006, 08:56   #14
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Xbox with homebrew is the Amiga of the 2000's.... XBMC owns and the emulators are great. Stick a big HD in and U can install all your games to HD... who needs DVDs
Old 02 March 2006, 17:56   #15
Npl

Well, if I want a cheap box to play emulators I buy a small-form-factor case and jug some abandoned Hardware and a Card with TV-Out in there. Even if I build a cheap Sempron-System fresh it wont set me more than 250€ back and beat the XBox in Perfomance and available Software.

People that want to run their Games on a Handheld, PSP or any other Console wont care to explicitely get an XBox just to see Emulators running on TV. If they already own one though, they would choose winuaex naturally.

So I consider your post quite offtopic
Old 02 March 2006, 21:38   #16
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Wink This is now off topic sorry but as we are talking about it

Having used my PC for emulation such as Snes , Megadrive and Amiga for many years , i was very suprised to find how much more real things feel when playing your games from Xbox.A PC feels like you are actually playing an emulator and normally shatters any illusion of playing real Amiga games.The Xbox version brings much closer that illusion to the point of it being virtually invisible(it is a console after all and this is the point even if the Amiga was a computer it's easy to regard it as a games machine).Ask people that own an Xbox for this purpose and you will be told how they were bowled over by this.It's the same with Mame , you need an arcade cabinet for that full authentic feel otherwize the games feel watered down.

Pc's are great and if all i could use was Winuae Pc , then i would be extremely happy.I was happy and then i used Winuaex and my mind changed instantly because i realised things could be even better.
Old 03 March 2006, 06:44   #17
EmuChicken

... erm what you're meant to say is actually the following-

"I like winuaex as it allows me to play the Amiga on the bigscreen TV again, instead of a monitor"... thats it pretty much... cmon! be honest!

Id love to see winfellow being ported across, itd be much faster than a uae port, but anyways- I tried the psp version, and it went pretty damn slow with turrican 2, so I removed it pretty much straight away. pants!
Old 03 March 2006, 08:32   #18
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

WinFellow is afaik almost impossible to port because it's written in x86 assembler. What I hope for is that someone ports the dreamcast version of UAE, UAE4All. I think that version is a little bit optimized than the regular UAE. The UAE port for GP2x is progressing very nicely, so in the future the GP2x will be the ultimate solution to handheld Amiga gaming.
Old 04 March 2006, 00:47   #19
Adropac2
Zone Friend

erm no

If i just wanted to play winuae on the big screen then i would connect it to my PC.No you clearly missed my point.
Old 05 March 2006, 14:42   #20
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

personally, i have my PC connected through my tv, and what with having two playstation pads connected to usb, it feels *just* like having two joystick ports on the amiga, and the games play a charm... no need for an xbox and its hideous pad here

as for gp2x / psp etc... i have a psp and i cant afford to get a gp2x as well, so i seriously do hope an amiga emulator gets developed and optimised to play nicely on psp. doesnt bother me if its fellow, uae or uae4all that it starts life as, i just want SWOS and Bloodwych on the bugger.... oh well, i'll just have to dream for now.