English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 05 June 2005, 23:22   #1
Peanutuk

Amiga Power Archive Website

It's been on and off, up an down for some years but the site is finally up. In fact it has been for a while but for some reason i hadn't posted it here.

Let me know what you think - in the forum on the site if you like

Any complaints should be directed to Woody.

Last edited by Peanutuk; 27 June 2005 at 11:40.
Old 05 June 2005, 23:23   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Here's the link

http://www.amigapower.com/
Old 05 June 2005, 23:47   #3
Peanutuk

Ahem.
Old 06 June 2005, 00:43   #4
Bloodwych

What is it with this weekend - so many projects announced.

Great work Peanut - I LOVE this site. Browsing through the old school articles is great fun. Certainly saves me having to blow dust off my tower of mags whenever I feel like a nostalgic flick through.

Issue 65 "farewell" scan brought a tear to my eye.

I think the system you've devised works well - I particularly like the summary before the thumbnail links.

Is this woody's webspace again? Where is he getting all the bandwidth from? Great service woody!
Old 06 June 2005, 00:45   #5
Peanutuk

Woody is hosting the main archive on Deadwood. The actual site itself is hosted elsewhere, but without Woody I couldn't have made this happen.

Thanks for the comments about the summaries I'd really like to get people reading and discussing the magazine again which I hope is what will happen in the forum.

Spread the word!
Old 06 June 2005, 00:51   #6
Bloodwych

Let's hope we can get some discussion going. You've put in a lot of hard work and in order to get you motivated enough to finish it we need some interest shown.

Like I added to my last post, I've never had chance to set eyes on the very last issue and it really moved me. Damn I'm getting soft in my old age!

So how often to you plan on updating - a mag every several months or so? I appreciate it takes a long time to scan.
Old 06 June 2005, 00:54   #7
Peanutuk

Issue 3 is about to be put up, but as you say it depends on interest, if people request, discuss and contribute then who knows - weekly updates! If no one cares it will probably lie in ruins...
Old 06 June 2005, 20:00   #8
Figi

Nice work, Peanutuk! :-)

I just read parts of Issue 13, in particular the Top100-section... gotta say that I'd have to disagree on a mere 70% of the choices.

For example, what's the point in putting so many flight sims into the list? F/A-18 Interceptor, right, F15 Strike Eagle - well, okay, too. But Knights of the Sky? F29 Retaliator? Come on, people! :-P

Then what's the hype with Jimmy Whirlwind? Must be a brit-thingie with snooker - I prefer to play that in a bar on a table, not in front of a screen.

It's a shame that Turrican 2 didn't make the list, though. If any game is a classic, than this one, isn't it? And what about Battle Isle 2? Nah, at least Peter Moleyneux has them on his list. No wonder he is still in the business - Bullforg had some taste.

The challenges are nice, though. Challenge for Ultima VI: "Play it from the floppies" - hehehehe.

Uhm. I wonder what the rest of the issue will contain... gotta go reading.

BTW, the pages 47, 82, 103, 125 and 126 are missing - for a reason?
Old 06 June 2005, 20:08   #9
Peanutuk

hi figi,

thanks for the response, why don't you make the post in the Amiga Power forum on the site as well and start the ball rolling?

If you like the top one-hundred lists then take a look at Issue 64 for the Ultimate Top 100, maybe that will be more agreeable? Or maybe not

I'll take a look at the missing pages, they may have ben removed because they were a waste of space or I could have just missed them out by accident
Old 06 June 2005, 20:14   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figi
For example, what's the point in putting so many flight sims into the list? F/A-18 Interceptor, right, F15 Strike Eagle - well, okay, too. But Knights of the Sky? F29 Retaliator? Come on, people! :-P

Then what's the hype with Jimmy Whirlwind? Must be a brit-thingie with snooker - I prefer to play that in a bar on a table, not in front of a screen.

It's a shame that Turrican 2 didn't make the list, though. If any game is a classic, than this one, isn't it? And what about Battle Isle 2? Nah, at least Peter Moleyneux has them on his list. No wonder he is still in the business - Bullforg had some taste.
You have to remember that the AP Top 100s were lists of the favourite games of the staff on the magazine. It's not a list of 'classic' games.
Old 07 June 2005, 09:18   #11
Figi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutuk
thanks for the response, why don't you make the post in the Amiga Power forum on the site as well and start the ball rolling?
Uhm... errrrrrm....
because I somehow managed not to see the link to the forum on the AP site yesterday :P

Quote:
If you like the top one-hundred lists then take a look at Issue 64 for the Ultimate Top 100, maybe that will be more agreeable? Or maybe not
Will do, as soon as I finished the other issues.

Quote:
I'll take a look at the missing pages, they may have ben removed because they were a waste of space or I could have just missed them out by accident
I think p82 is missing because p83 is there twice.
Old 07 June 2005, 09:19   #12
Figi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
You have to remember that the AP Top 100s were lists of the favourite games of the staff on the magazine. It's not a list of 'classic' games.
Yeah. Brits.
Old 07 June 2005, 19:48   #13
Dizzy
Pirate

Finally its back online .. I've been visiting the past month to see if anything would happens again.
AND NOW....

WOW...nice looking.. Do you still want me to make pdf out of the magazines.. I could upload them to woodys
Old 27 June 2005, 02:29   #14
James

Wow. Fantastic. I got a lump in my throat just looking at the old design of the scans

There was a good feature AP did in the same issue that Flight of the Amazon Queen was reviewed in about Graphic Adventures. It praised the Lucas Arts series for having more good ideas than the rest of them. That might be a good one to scan

Also, don't forget the 101 Uses for a Dead Amiga back pages that occured towards the last issues

Old 27 June 2005, 11:28   #15
Peanutuk

Thanks guys. Any input would be appreciated, drop me a PM.
Old 02 July 2005, 22:11   #16
Turbo2Xs
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbo2Xs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figi

Knights of the Sky was simply stunning at the time. Compared to the PC sims of the day, KOTS was smoother, faster and played better.

PS

I don't even like flight sims - but this game had class.
Old 12 August 2005, 01:13   #17
Peanutuk

AP03 has now finally been put up, Two more issues to follow in the next few days just need to finish writing the introductions. Check the forum on the site for news/questions.
Old 29 August 2005, 22:14   #18
SexyWayne
Zone Friend

great site peanut it's great to read these mags as i still had a c64 back when these came out, so i missed them first time round
Old 21 September 2005, 13:13   #19
zerohero

First off thanks for the great work with scanning the Amiga Power issues

Second, have you checked with Tom at Amiga Treasureland he might be able to help you host Amiga Power issues in pdf format?