English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 June 2017, 14:04   #1
Raid27
I have a joystick

The Suncom "Joy-sensor", did it work?

Ran into an Ad for the "Joy-sensor" by Suncom, creators of the Tac-2 among other things. (from Commodore User issue 2, 1983). The thing was compatible with the Amiga later on.

I had never even heard of this joystick simulator (as it's called) and I was curious if anyone here actually had one? Did it work as advertised? Was it any good?

free image hosting
Old 04 June 2017, 19:01   #2
Akira

Everything I saw that used this kinda system sucked.
Years later there was the Turbo Touch 360 too. A terrible idea. You need tactile feedback to your control.
Old 04 June 2017, 19:16   #3
Gorf

Very interesting find!

There was short discussion but it here on eab in 2013:
Suncom Joy Sensor - Will it work on Amiga?

I did some digging. The switch in the middle seems to activate 4 or 8 direction mode ... so for Amiga only the 4 direction mode makes sense.

The touch elements seem really to be what we are used to now: capacitive and not resistive. no pressing is needed.

In an Atari Forum it is described as:
"I loved using this controller and it was surprisingly responsive(from what I remember 2 decades ago!)."

Suncom was really innovative as it seems:
in the F-15 Joystick they even used Hall-sensors for deduction of movement
Old 04 June 2017, 19:38   #4
Raid27
I have a joystick

Thx for the links.
Yeah I got curious as I have no recollection of it from my own Amiga days (1988 onwards).

Here is an irony speaking of the Suncom F15: I had the Tac-2 for my Amiga (still have two of them) and later when I got a PC in 1996 I got the F15 stick but I had no idea it was the same maker. Small world...for joysticks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
Very interesting find!

There was short discussion but it here on eab in 2013:
Suncom Joy Sensor - Will it work on Amiga?

I did some digging. The switch in the middle seems to activate 4 or 8 direction mode ... so for Amiga only the 4 direction mode makes sense.

The touch elements seem really to be what we are used to now: capacitive and not resistive. no pressing is needed.

In an Atari Forum it is described as:
"I loved using this controller and it was surprisingly responsive(from what I remember 2 decades ago!)."

Suncom was really innovative as it seems:
in the F-15 Joystick they even used Hall-sensors for deduction of movement