English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 November 2019, 11:17   #1
Glen M

CD32 window, badge and ribbon

I wasn't sure were to put this. I was going to put it under the hardware support section but its not really hardware more aesthetics (mostly) so I'm sticking it here but move as required.

Anyway...

With all the work I've been doing to my CD32 over the last couple of weeks the lids been on and off more times than I can count and its finally caught up on the CD ribbon cable that has split. Its been a bit dodgy for a while but its now done and I need a new one. I can order a pack of 5 of them from rs-online but before I do so does anyone supply them single?

That then got me looking at the console in more detail and I could really use a new window for the CD lid and a new case badge. Does anyone make these? I did try some googling without luck.
Old 05 November 2019, 21:32   #2
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

CD32 replacement window ,out of stock - https://www.vesalia.de/

had a look around and cant find anywhere else, maybe worth contacting them to see when/if they are getting more.

As for case badges , i got one a while back on ebay , but the seller is out of stock and doesnt seem to be any others on there atm, maybe give the guy a message?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commodore...-/113854656768
Old 05 November 2019, 22:01   #3
Akiko

As mentioned on Amibay recently it might still be possible to buy the sticker from here.

https://www.plakativ-druck.ch/shop/i...roducts&page=5
Old 05 November 2019, 22:14   #4
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
As mentioned on Amibay recently it might still be possible to buy the sticker from here.

https://www.plakativ-druck.ch/shop/i...roducts&page=5

Thats the seller i bought mine from on eBay , didnt know he had a website tho
Old 06 November 2019, 07:58   #5
demon-knight
Blitter

I'm after the exact same thing for mine too, just ordered a sticker from that website, should be here in just over a week.

Shame no one is making new cases for the CD32 though.
Old 06 November 2019, 10:57   #6
Glen M

I've sent vesalia an e-mail so hopefully they will come back to me. I'm also going to try a few local plastic places to see if they could be remade.

As for the sticker my only concern with the website above is that looks like a basic sticker. The one on the case is has a metal backing like on the other machines. I suppose a sticker would be better than nothing though.

Demon-knight, would you mind showing us a picture of your sticker once it arrives and fitted just to see how it looks?

Last edited by Glen M; 06 November 2019 at 11:16. Reason: spelling
Old 07 November 2019, 15:11   #7
Glen M

I've tried reaching out to a few local companies that make plastic products with a view of remaking the CD32 windows but they aren't interested

Sometimes if you want something done its better to do it yourself so I'm going to recreate the CD32 windows myself.

I took my own one off last night for a look. Its fairly thin acrylic maybe 1 - 1.5mm thick so in order to do this as cheaply as possible I'm thinking of just getting it made from flat acrylic. At 1mm thickness the acrylic should be fairly flexible so I think with a decent glue it'll be held to the curve fine. As for finish it'll have to be clear so the back will have to be painted to hide the glue. One thing I noticed is that the opening under the window is considerably larger so there is potential to make the clear portion bigger to see more of the disc which I think would be cool.

I'm going to draw up a few designs so give me a day or 2 and I'll post an update hopefully with a template made.
Old 07 November 2019, 21:14   #8
demon-knight
Blitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I've sent vesalia an e-mail so hopefully they will come back to me. I'm also going to try a few local plastic places to see if they could be remade.

As for the sticker my only concern with the website above is that looks like a basic sticker. The one on the case is has a metal backing like on the other machines. I suppose a sticker would be better than nothing though.

Demon-knight, would you mind showing us a picture of your sticker once it arrives and fitted just to see how it looks?
Yep no problem will post side by side pic's when I get them.

I have seen a case on ebay but its about £40
Old 09 November 2019, 16:26   #9
demon-knight
Blitter

Stickers arrived earlier today. Have uploaded some pic's to show difference in colours etc. Please ignore the case, I am actively looking for a replacement.

Before

Side by side old/new

Side by side on console

Replaced close up

Final
Old 10 November 2019, 15:13   #10
Glen M

Many thanks for posting the pictures. To be honest I'm not sure if I like the sticker. The colours seem off and the resolution of the logo doesn't look the best.

Whats your opinion of the sticker?
Old 10 November 2019, 17:57   #11
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

i bought couple of these a while back, when i was refurbing a cd32 to sell , the colour is definitely off, but compared to the battered and scratched original , it still made it look a lot better. Depends how bad your original is really, but if theres nothing else out there, then not much choice.
Old 10 November 2019, 20:13   #12
demon-knight
Blitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
Many thanks for posting the pictures. To be honest I'm not sure if I like the sticker. The colours seem off and the resolution of the logo doesn't look the best.

Whats your opinion of the sticker?
Agree with xubidoo but its the only one available at the moment.

When I get time I will look into recreating one either on vinyl or look into doing it on the same material as the original.

Does anyone have the exact colours used in the logo?
Old 10 November 2019, 20:16   #13
Bren McGuire

Ouch that looks all warped and weird on the CD letters especially
Looks like someone drew over a bad image of the logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon-knight View Post
Side by side old/new
Old 11 November 2019, 10:56   #14
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
i bought couple of these a while back, when i was refurbing a cd32 to sell , the colour is definitely off, but compared to the battered and scratched original , it still made it look a lot better. Depends how bad your original is really, but if theres nothing else out there, then not much choice.
Well this is true, if there is nothing else then the sticker is better than a damaged original or nothing but you'd think whoever made it would go to the care of at least having the lettering sharp. Then again for the few £ these cost maybe I'm being too fussy.

If it helps I can draw up the logo in high resolution but I can't colour it exactly. I still need to get my old case lid scanned to have that drawn up too but I'll make a point of getting started into it tonight!
Old 12 November 2019, 00:49   #15
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

not sure if this is allowed, linking to a diff forum, but might be the answer to you ribbon cable problem, altho does need some modification.

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...ard-Data-Cable
Old 12 November 2019, 21:43   #16
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
not sure if this is allowed, linking to a diff forum, but might be the answer to you ribbon cable problem, altho does need some modification.

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...ard-Data-Cable
Yeah I've seen that. It appears to be the only option to be honest so I think I'll order it and have a go.
Old 12 November 2019, 21:55   #17
Glen M

So I've been working on the CD32 window as per the attached image.

The top is the original window, the middle is an alternative I think would work to give you more view of the disc and the bottom shows the outline of the CD32 lid that the window rests against, as you can see there is scope to make the clear bits considerably bigger.

Next thing to do is print this out and do some test fits with paper first then I'll move onto getting a prototype made from clear 1mm acrylic. The original is about 1mm thick, maybe slightly less but 1mm is the only thickness I can get easily. It should work ok.

The only hurdle is what to do to recreate the black backing. Looking at the original closely I think its some sort of paint but obviously very precisely done. Since I'm recreating this from flat acrylic black paint isn't going to work as bending the acrylic will crack the paint. I'm thinking black vinyl on the top might be an option but then again I'm not sure just how that will look. You'll notice the lip of the vinyl and with the best will in the world it will catch dirt on the edge. Any ideas how to do this backing?

Here's the image. Its drawn in CAD so excuse the sharp edges, it doesn't look like this when printed.

Last edited by Glen M; 12 November 2019 at 22:05. Reason: updated image to make preview smaller